Windows 10: Tenforums - How to upload images and have them shown as thumbnails?

Discus and support Tenforums - How to upload images and have them shown as thumbnails? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title says... Right now, when uploading an image, they will be displayed in full. Frankly, I don't like that. Often they cover a big part of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tfwul, Nov 19, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

Tenforums - How to upload images and have them shown as thumbnails?

As the title says...

Right now, when uploading an image, they will be displayed in full.
    Frankly, I don't like that. Often they cover a big part of the screen.
    A workaround is to upload them to (e.g.) imgur and paste a 'linked URL' medium sized)

Two cons:
    1. extra work to upload them elsewhere and create an url
    2. when the image is removed from (in this example) imgur, then obviously the image will not be displayed anymore in the thread on Tenforums

Maybe an enhancement of Tenforums : upload images, but display them as (medium sized) thumbnails, only to display in full when they are clicked on?

- less work for users
    and
    - image to stay on the Tenforums server

Thanks.

:)

tfwul, Nov 19, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Aquinus Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

Okay, first off, people need to learn to calm down. That includes the OP and everyone replying. I would consider this a very legitimate concern he raises and I'll explain why and what I would suggest to fix it to address all the concerns brought up.

I see three sides to this.
    • OneMoar wants to upload bigger files. Generally speaking, most users are lazy so this is a valid concern from a usability standpoint. While I do believe there should be an upload limit, there should be a separate storage limit.
    • Concern with bandwidth: I suspect that uploading images is a relatively small amount of bandwidth and that serving up said images is much more costly. So that would put emphasis on getting not putting if bandwidth is a concern.
    • Storage, a very real concern because a lot of images adds up quickly which adds a need to efficiently store said images.
    So my suggestion (assuming W1zz wanted to do this out of kindness of his heart,) is this:
    • Increase upload limit to 10-20MB max.
    • Institute a storage limit of 2-5MB max.
    • Use PHP's GD library to convert uploaded images to JPEG or PNG.
      • PNGs tend to look nicer than JPEGs, but use more space. Probably preferable for smaller images or images requiring transparency.
      • JPEG tends to be very flexible when it comes to quality and the amount of compression. PHP's GD lib gives you control over this.
    So long as the image is uploaded in a format GD can read which includes most commonly used formats, it may not be unrealistic to re-store it in a different format. It's also not unrealistic to use GD to scale the image as well.

I've used GD before and it's relatively easy to use and is relatively quick with respect to performance. I would be willing to write up some examples with respect to how to do it if it were welcomed.

Side note: I see a watermark, GD might be getting used already so this might not be a stretch if the CPU cycles are there to spare.

Aquinus, Nov 19, 2018
  4. Kreij Win User

Additional Image Upload Functionality

My thought was to have the image tagged with the member name who uploaded it, so you could see thumbnails of what you've previously uploaded.
    Keywords would be nice for searching through all of the images.

Kreij, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Tenforums - How to upload images and have them shown as thumbnails? - Similar Threads - Tenforums upload images

2. images not showing when im uploading them in a software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    images not showing when im uploading them in a software: this is very urgent and i need someone to reply in a day so the problem is that whenever i try to download an image, it always shows the image in the files.but whenever i try to upload the downloaded image to a software, the files say that i have no files or pictures...
  3. images not showing when im uploading them in a software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    images not showing when im uploading them in a software: this is very urgent and i need someone to reply in a day so the problem is that whenever i try to download an image, it always shows the image in the files.but whenever i try to upload the downloaded image to a software, the files say that i have no files or pictures...
  4. images not showing when im uploading them in a software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to make the thumbnails of the whatsapp images visible ? (Thumbnails of images in the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make the thumbnails of the whatsapp images visible ? (Thumbnails of images in the...: [IMG] submitted by /u/FarPrune1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gbjhvu/how_to_make_the_thumbnails_of_the_whatsapp_images/
  6. Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image: The thumbnail image flashes when I open a folder in pictures. how do I get the picture image to remain open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnail-image/f58e2e4c-8d6c-475e-87a9-3f614c02dff5"
  7. image on thumbnails

image on thumbnails: In older versions of windows you could see images of what was in an svg file. With windows 10 you can't. I save a lot of craft patterns, and it takes forever to find the file I'm looking for without an image on the thumbnail. Is there a way to set this up?...
  8. images not uploading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    images not uploading: I cannot upload images to any online platforms like canva and a local property listing site. I can upload the same images to Facebook without any problems. Please help I need to upload images....
  9. Where have my image thumbnails gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where have my image thumbnails gone?: When I opened folders such as Pictures, Camera Roll, Screenshots the images within used to be instantly previewed with thumbnails. This has stopped, perhaps as a result of October update. So far I have not found how to restore this feature. Advice please. 129900
  10. How to access tenforums on android?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to access tenforums on android?: I could not find the app on play store. 123697