Windows 10: tent mode. Now rotation key is greyed out and not switching. How to fix it

Discus and support tent mode. Now rotation key is greyed out and not switching. How to fix it in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My Dell inspiron w/ Windows 10 used to automatically swith to tent mode when turned. No longer doing that and rotation key is greyed out. How do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarshaJ40, May 25, 2020.

1. MarshaJ40 Win User

tent mode. Now rotation key is greyed out and not switching. How to fix it

My Dell inspiron w/ Windows 10 used to automatically swith to tent mode when turned. No longer doing that and rotation key is greyed out. How do I fix it?

:)

MarshaJ40, May 25, 2020
  2. metal450 Win User

Rotation Lock / Rotation Sensor Not Working (Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1)

I've got a Lenovo Yoga 700-11ISK that I've reformatted and reinstalled with Windows 10 Pro. I've been unable to get the rotation lock / rotation sensor working, which seems to be a very common problem. However, none of the common solutions has seemed to fix the issue. Below is a detailed list of everything I’ve learned. Note that whenever I refer to "Tent Mode," I mean the device's screen is physically rotated (‘folded back’) more than 180 degrees. Don’t confuse this with "Tablet mode," the software-based switch available in the Win10 Action Center; when I say "Tent Mode," I refer only to *physically* folding back the screen.

First, let's establish how it behaves on the factory image (i.e. the copy of Windows that comes with the system). These are the desired/expected behaviors, which I’m listing point-by-point for comparison to how it mis-behaves on my fresh Windows 10 Pro install:

1) In Tent Mode, "Rotation Lock" is available in the Action Center; otherwise, it's greyed.
    2) In Tent Mode, "Lock rotation of this display" is available in System->Display settings; otherwise it's greyed.
    3) In Tent Mode, the “Allow the screen to auto-rotate” checkbox in the Display control panel is available; otherwise it’s greyed.
    4) In Tent Mode, the physical rotation lock button works; pressing it shows a “auto rotate on/off” OSD. Otherwise the button has no effect.
    5) In Tent Mode, registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation has Enable=1; otherwise, Enable=0. Even if you set it manually, it gets overridden to this value on reboot, etc.
    6) In Device Manager, detecting changes to and from Tent Mode seems to be handled by "Human Interface Devices/GPIO Laptop or Slate Indicator Driver" & "System Devices/Intel® Serial IO GPIO Host Controller - INT344B." Removing either stops it from detecting Tent Mode changes.
    7) In Device Manager, detecting actual screen rotation (when in Tent Mode) seems to be handled by "Human Interface Devices/I2C HID Device" (9D60), "Sensors/HID Sensor Collection v2," and "System devices/Intel® Serial IO I2C Host Controller - 9D60." Disabling any of these 3 disables rotation-sensing / rotation lock options (when in Tent Mode).
    8) If you disable the "YMC" service, rotation lock becomes available in 1-4 above, regardless of Tent Mode (aka it's always available).
    9) If you disable the "SensrSvc" service, aka "Sensor Monitoring Service," all of the rotation lock options 1-4 above become unavailable/greyed, regardless of Tent Mode (aka it’s always unavailable).

Again, it's only Tent Mode (aka physical rotation of the screen) that makes rotation lock work; toggling "Tablet Mode" in the Action Center or answering “Yes” when prompted to switch to Tablet Mode is irrelevant.

Now for direct comparison, here’s how it behaves on my fresh-installed copy of Windows 10 pro:
    1-5) Regardless of Tent Mode, these options are all greyed, the button has no effect, and the registry key has Enable=0.
    6-7) Each of these drivers are installed & working in the Device manager, and are of the same date & version as in the factory image.
    8) With the YMC service running, moving the laptop into Tent Mode it will prompt you to change to Tablet Mode – indicating that its “Tent Mode” sensor is functioning. If you stop the “YMC” service, rotation lock remains unavailable in 1-4. NOTE the difference: on the factory image, stopping YMC makes all the rotation lock options become available; here, they always remain unavailable regardless of this service.
    9) SensrSvc is set to Automatic, and running. Stopping/restarting seems to have no effect.
    10) The 'Sensor List' app (installed from app store) shows the Inclinometer properly reading changes to the system orientation.

Notice in particular that stopping “SensrSvc” on the factory image essentially makes it behave like my new/problematic system: whereas all the “Rotation Lock” stuff is supposed to be available while the tablet is physically in Tent Mode, it always remains unavailable. However, all the relevant drivers seem to be installed and of the same versions; all the services in question seem to be installed and running; and all the sensors are provably “sensing.” There are 2 sensors involved: 1) The one that senses when we switch to Tent Mode and 2) The one that senses screen rotation. I know #1 is working because when YMC is running, Windows prompts to enter Tablet Mode. I know #2 is working because ‘Sensor List’ can read orientations from the Inclinometer.

I’ve spent a crazy amount of time on this and seem to be up against a wall. If anyone can tell me how to get this rotation sensor working (aka how I can get the “rotation lock” options in 1-4 not to remain greyed when I enter Tent Mode), I’d be very appreciative.

metal450, May 25, 2020
  3. Tent mode switch problem

Hello Jessie,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

For Tent mode issue you may try the steps below and check if that helps.

• Win + R -> type 'regedit' and enter

Registry editor will open up.
    • Goto path -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr​entVersion\AutoRotation
    • Check the value of Enable file if it is 0 rotation will be OFF, if 1 rotation will be ON.
    • Restart and Auto rotation will work.
    Registry disclaimer

Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft
    :

Back up the registry

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Hope it helps. If you need any clarification or any further assistance please write us back, we will be glad to get back to you as soon as possible.

Mann_Manohar, May 25, 2020
  4. tent mode. Now rotation key is greyed out and not switching. How to fix it

autoroation isnt working and lock rotation is greyed out

I have a laptop toshiba P55W C5204 with windows 10 -64 bit and the auto rotation isn't working since windows update started upgrading. The rotation lock is greyed out. I tried changing to portrait mode, switching in tent mode, and nothing works with this.
    Its disappointing getting the windows updates if this updates will decrease the performance of the equipment.

Carlos55555, May 25, 2020
Thema:

tent mode. Now rotation key is greyed out and not switching. How to fix it

1. tent mode. Now rotation key is greyed out and not switching. How to fix it - Similar Threads - tent mode rotation

2. Rotation lock is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rotation lock is greyed out: I enabled rotation lock last night for the first time and now it is greyed out and I have to manually change rotation. I have a HP Envy, windows 11. Manually changing the rotation or tent mode won't change it. I have tried a recommendation from another tread:Press Windows+R...
  3. Rotation Lock greyed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rotation Lock greyed out: I haven't been able to rotate my screen whenever I flip it or put it in tent mode, nor does it go into tablet mode when I flip the screen, I have a 2 in 1 Asus Vivobook, I have tried everything to get the rotation lock to workI have tried putting it in portrait mode and it...
  4. tent mode and auto rotate

tent mode and auto rotate: having issues with the tent mode function and auto rotate period. is it because all these new updates? and ive already tried going into refistry and changing the values and it still wasnt working...
  5. rotation lock greyed out

rotation lock greyed out: After update, my display changed to portrait. I have changed it to landscape but the rotation lock is greyed out, so that it will not automatically change to portrait if I rotate the screen....
  6. Rotation Lock Greyed Out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Rotation Lock Greyed Out: I'm on an ASUS VivoBook Flip 14 TP412FA and the rotation lock button is greyed out in the right side panel and in the settings, which also means that the keyboard isn't working I'm using the on-screen keyboard. I've tried a fair bit but anything that can be suggested would be...
  7. rotation lock greyed out

rotation lock greyed out: I have an acer spin 1 with windows 10 and my rotation lock screen is greyed out and my screen will not rotate automatically anymore. how can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rotation-lock-greyed-out/23ffc815-5629-46b4-91ce-55996c428b4c
  8. Rotation lock greyed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rotation lock greyed out: [ATTACH] how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rotation-lock-greyed-out/e057c298-2b31-4062-9d2e-a606525f224a
  9. Rotation Lock greyed out

Rotation Lock greyed out: if you have this issue first put your screen in tent mode or tablet mode and see if you then can adjust that setting before doing a lot of research like I did....
  10. Auto rotate greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto rotate greyed out: Updated my wife’s tablet today (16 Jan 2018) latest version After update the auto rotate disappears and NONE of the registry fixes to be found on-line restore it. Have had to uninstall latest update. Not good as I like tO keep her up to date. Any fixes that work or...