Windows 10: terminal emulation when ssh'ing to Windows 10 from ubuntu.

Discus and support terminal emulation when ssh'ing to Windows 10 from ubuntu. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I turned on ssh server on a windows10 desktop. I ssh into the windows 10 from an ubuntu laptop. I can use cmd.exe, powershell, and bash (WSL), but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by philobyte, Sep 20, 2018.

1. philobyte Win User

terminal emulation when ssh'ing to Windows 10 from ubuntu.

I turned on ssh server on a windows10 desktop. I ssh into the windows 10 from an ubuntu laptop. I can use cmd.exe, powershell, and bash (WSL),

but I can't use any terminal applications... If I go into bash, and use the man or more commands, I get the first screen and then all subsequent output goes to a single line at the bottom of the terminal window. I have vim.exe installed, and it works fine when I on the windows10 desktop, but when ssh'd in from a remote ubuntu, the screen is always garbled.

If I edit in vim, the screen goes completely blank. I then do <Ctrl>L to refresh, and I get it back, but also the cursor never shows where it actually is.

so in short, for any tty oriented operation it is unusable. Any ideas where to look into this?

:)

philobyte, Sep 20, 2018
  2. ypoora1 Win User

Clear terminal for ssh?

Is there any way co clear the ssh-ing user´s terminal when ¨issue(.net)¨ shows up? Iḿ trying to make my little usage disclaimer a bit more... Noticable. Running linux Mint 17 on a desktop/server tower.

Oh, and where is the ¨motd¨ in Mint stored anyway?

ypoora1, Sep 20, 2018
  3. ARH_999 Win User
    Terminal Emulator

Is there a terminal emulation program within Win10? If not, any suggestions? I'm a radio operator and need it to program/access a connected radio modem. Thanks.

ARH_999, Sep 20, 2018
  4. ypoora1 Win User

Clear terminal for ssh?

Yeah i meant users SSH-ing in. I have Mint because i also use it as a desktop regularly.
    Did that, and it seems to work. How does one add colored text to issue.net and motd? I tried the ANSI thing, but in all my terminal emulators it either shows the actual code on screen or makes garbled junk. Sorry if i'm missing stupid things, but i'm a complete noob to that.

ypoora1, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

1. terminal emulation when ssh'ing to Windows 10 from ubuntu. - Similar Threads - terminal emulation ssh'ing

2. How to install terminal icons in wsl2 ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install terminal icons in wsl2 ubuntu: I want to see the files and folder icons when I use the ls command. Is there any way to achieve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-terminal-icons-in-wsl2-ubuntu/7c810f10-3237-462b-8845-dcdb98f644e7
  3. How to install terminal icons in wsl2 ubuntu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install terminal icons in wsl2 ubuntu: I want to see the files and folder icons when I use the ls command. Is there any way to achieve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-terminal-icons-in-wsl2-ubuntu/7c810f10-3237-462b-8845-dcdb98f644e7
  4. Change Default From Powershell to Ubuntu in Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default From Powershell to Ubuntu in Windows Terminal: Instead of Powershell, I would like Windows Terminal to open a WSL tab by default. If this is possible, than I could right-click to open a new terminal from File Explorer, and not have to change directory all the way to where I want to go. submitted by /u/GalacticWafer...
  5. Ubuntu terminal on Windows 10 is taking too long to install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ubuntu terminal on Windows 10 is taking too long to install.: I would like you to solve this problem: I installed WSL1 on my Windows 10 on Power-Shell with all the right prerequisites, restarted my computer, opened the Microsoft Store, installed Ubuntu Terminal. [ATTACH] However, when I opened Ubuntu for the first time, it opened...
  6. Serial connection for terminal emulation software

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Serial connection for terminal emulation software: I am trying to identify the serial COM port number for my connection. I need to enter that value into my terminal emulation software. In previous Windows versions the COM port number was displayed in the device manager tree when the physical connection was made. Thank you...
  7. ssh terminal emulation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ssh terminal emulation: I'm using Windows 10 ssh to connect to a linux server for a new project. To what value should I set my linux TERM environment variable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssh-terminal-emulation/ef82365d-257b-42c9-8a15-3bd92bcf73c6
  8. how to disable swap in windows 10 ubuntu terminal

how to disable swap in windows 10 ubuntu terminal: How can I disable swap in windows10 ubuntu terminal? top - 18:51:22 up 6:30, 0 users, load average: 0.52, 0.58, 0.59 Tasks: 4 total, 1 running, 3 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie %Cpus: 4.1 us, 8.8 sy, 0.0 ni, 86.5 id, 0.0 wa, 0.6 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st KiB...
  9. Windows 10 update messes up Ubuntu terminal colors (again!)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 update messes up Ubuntu terminal colors (again!): Hi, Seems the last update (hit me August 9) messed up the Ubuntu terminal colors. (this happened before several times). To see it: Open a terminal window, open up some file on vi, and scroll up and down using your keyboard's arrow keys. You will get black background on...
  10. How do I change the font size in ubuntu terminal x11 emulator?

How do I change the font size in ubuntu terminal x11 emulator?: https://i.imgur.com/nRdSrrz.png On the left is the normal Bash terminal. On the right is Terminator x11 terminal emulator. The font is too small on the right side. I tried the preferences to change the font/size, but nothing changes. Any ideas? Thanks! 71030

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changing terminal emulation on ssh on windows 10