Windows 10: Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project

Discus and support Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've just updated my installation of Windows terminal to 1.0. To test consistency I opened Terminal in my project directory and got these results:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by truckeeGWB, May 19, 2020.

1. Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project

I've just updated my installation of Windows terminal to 1.0. To test consistency I opened Terminal in my project directory and got these results:

Powershell:

Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project a8baaf7d-d71a-484c-8376-76ec7321cddc?upload=true.jpg

WSL/Ubuntu:

Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project 4e01eb0f-a4fc-4837-9b41-4ccd1a32f1e6?upload=true.jpg

Powershell shows git --version = 2.26.2.windows.1

WSL shows git --version = 2.17.1

I also have a Hyper-V VM of Ubuntu 18 with a clone of the project. It's git is also 2.17.1 but it shows:

On branch master
    Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

nothing to commit, working tree clean

So the difference in git status is not due to the version of git. Also, WSL & the VM report identical versions of Ubuntu 18.04.4 and both have just been updated & upgraded.

The PHP project was developed in Netbeans. Netbeans version 11.x shows the project has nothing to commit. Netbeans 12.0-beta4 shows there are files are different from HEAD. The reason there is that the java git module has changed. Is that somehow a factor here in Windows Terminal?

If not, why the difference in Terminal?

:)

truckeeGWB, May 19, 2020

2. Ubuntu terminal not displaying git messages correctly

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the output for Ubuntu terminal is not showing properly for GIT commands.

I suggest you to try re-enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux and then uninstalling and re-installing Ubuntu from Microsoft Store. Follow the steps to disable Windows Subsystem for Linux and uninstall Ubuntu.

Disable Windows Subsystem for Linux:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      appwiz.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. Now on the left hand pane click on
      Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Now on the Windows feature window scroll down and uncheck the box next to
      Windows Subsystem for Linux.
    5. Click on OK and Restart the PC.

Uninstall the Ubuntu app:

1. Go to Settings >
      Apps > Apps & features.
    2. Now search for Ubuntu app.
    3. Click on the app and click on
      Uninstall
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

To enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux you can refer the article

Windows Subsystem for Linux Installation Guide for Windows 10

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums
    as they have dedicated support for issues related to Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 19, 2020
  3. Ubuntu terminal not displaying git messages correctly

I have been using the Ubuntu terminal for Windows recently, and have just encountered a problem where outputs from git commands aren't displaying correctly.

Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project 3308c8bb-cf8f-4ed3-8e53-801b73a2729b?upload=true.png

Ubuntu terminal is on the left, and cmd on the right. As can be seen, the changes to be committed are not displaying. This is happening for any of the comands that print in that colour. I tried changing the colours but that isn't the problem.

Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project 6b5c6b42-a59f-4bcd-bddf-f476f0615895?upload=true.png

The colour supposedly being used for this is the 6th from the right.

Any ideas?

Patrick Jennings, May 19, 2020
  4. Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project

zsh git status shows all files in repo as modified (when they are no )

My setup: Windows 10, cygwin, miTTy and oh-my-zsh.

Problem: when I get to a folder of a git repository it takes a long time (3-15 seconds) for the commandline to get to this folder. It depends on the size of the project.

To speed it up I have uncommented this line: DISABLE_UNTRACKED_FILES_DIRTY="true" in .zshrc, which is supposed to make it faster. It didn't help at all. Then I found out that when I run git status it shows all the files in the repo as modified even though they are not (I have checked in PHPStrom and Git Bash terminal). I think that this might be the reason for why it's taking so long.

I'm have just two active plugins: git and extract.

Any ideas how to fix it and/or make zsh run as fast as possible?
    Thanks for your time and suggestions Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project :)

Tony Vlcek, May 19, 2020
Thema:

Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project

1. Terminal: Powershell vs Ubuntu: git status difference for PHP project - Similar Threads - Terminal Powershell Ubuntu

2. Powershell terminal in VS Code: make : The term 'make' is not recognized as the name of a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell terminal in VS Code: make : The term 'make' is not recognized as the name of a...: hi, i keep encountering this error for the past 3 months already. I'm using VS Code as my editor, the compiler I installed is MinGW msys. i was testing some code C programs and that happened out of nowhere, it was the first time that happened. Before that, it was working fine...
  3. Powershell terminal in VS Code: make : The term 'make' is not recognized as the name of a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell terminal in VS Code: make : The term 'make' is not recognized as the name of a...: hi, i keep encountering this error for the past 3 months already. I'm using VS Code as my editor, the compiler I installed is MinGW msys. i was testing some code C programs and that happened out of nowhere, it was the first time that happened. Before that, it was working fine...
  4. Powershell terminal in VS Code: make : The term 'make' is not recognized as the name of a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04: Hey,I am using WSL 2 Windows 11 and I noticed there is a generic Ubuntu version listed.What is the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS? What version is Ubuntu Name and Friendly Name...
  6. WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04

WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04: Hey,I am using WSL 2 Windows 11 and I noticed there is a generic Ubuntu version listed.What is the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS? What version is Ubuntu Name and Friendly Name...
  7. Windows PowerShell ISE vs Windows PowerShell: What is the difference?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows PowerShell ISE vs Windows PowerShell: What is the difference?: [ATTACH]A Shell is a program that uses the command line interface or graphical user interface and allows users to access and control their computers by entering commands. The program is named Shell because it is the outermost layer of an operating system. The shell acts as a...
  8. Change Default From Powershell to Ubuntu in Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default From Powershell to Ubuntu in Windows Terminal: Instead of Powershell, I would like Windows Terminal to open a WSL tab by default. If this is possible, than I could right-click to open a new terminal from File Explorer, and not have to change directory all the way to where I want to go. submitted by /u/GalacticWafer...
  9. Add Powerline to Git Bash Terminal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add Powerline to Git Bash Terminal?: So I’m trying to get some form of powerline going in my git bash terminal, but everything I find is basically geared toward mac, Linux, or PowerShell. Any help or advice would be appreciated! submitted by /u/ModelMissing [link] [comments]...
  10. Ubuntu terminal not displaying git messages correctly

Ubuntu terminal not displaying git messages correctly: I have been using the Ubuntu terminal for Windows recently, and have just encountered a problem where outputs from git commands aren't displaying correctly. [ATTACH] Ubuntu terminal is on the left, and cmd on the right. As can be seen, the changes to be committed are not...