Windows 10: Terminal showing Windows 10 CPU constantly at max 100%

Discus and support Terminal showing Windows 10 CPU constantly at max 100% in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've been searching the forums to find a solution to my problem - my CPU is always running at 100%. It's strange because I've never not seen my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by N Gi, May 26, 2020.

1. N Gi Win User

Terminal showing Windows 10 CPU constantly at max 100%

Hi,

I've been searching the forums to find a solution to my problem - my CPU is always running at 100%. It's strange because I've never not seen my CPU run at 100% it's always at 100%. If I close any program, then others supposedly instantly absorb the freed up CPU.

I can close everything heavyweight. If I do so, then I end up with a long list of maybe 100 standard processes that reportedly each use 0% cpu. Yet, my total cpu reads as 100%.

It seems to be a glitch with task manager reading the CPU. But just to cover all fields: Superfetch is disabled and my power management is set to balanced.

Cheers

:)

2. SackHappy Win User

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS.
    I also noticed that when using other tools to display my GPU and CPU performance they show my CPU max frequency is exactly 5Ghz, why does Task Manager constantly display a constantly changing frequency?

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated

SackHappy, May 26, 2020
  3. chjejones Win User
    CPU constantly at 100%

Being as stubborn as I am for Windows 7, I waited until the last possible second to upgrade to Windows 10. Now that I've upgraded, my CPU is constantly at or near 100% mainly by two processes listed as System and System Interrupts, both running 20-30% each. I looked around and most people say these shouldn't be more than 5-10%.

Before you start suggesting the obvious like checking for updates, flashing BIOS, upgrading drivers, editing Registry, using Process Explorer, going into device manager, checking background apps, using the built in troubleshooters, formatting, erasing previous Win installations, etc. Let me just say, that I've tried all of those and none of them seemed to work. I can get the CPU down to about 50-60% but that still seems like quite a lot for a freshly booted up PC just sitting on standby.

At this point, I'm looking for any suggestions at all. My best guess is that maybe my laptops just too old? I've had it for close to 5-6 years or so and I never replaced any of the parts, so it may just be that it's just getting harder to run modern OS? I don't know. If there's any other options, I'd love to hear them before I start looking into replacements.

chjejones, May 26, 2020
  4. Joe...J Win User

Windows 10 extreme CPU usage

Thanks, but yes I was definitely seeing this issue while that trace was recorded.

Task manager was constantly showing 100% CPU usage and Resource monitor shows silly numbers for the CPU usage (40441489%).

If I sum the numbers under CPU in the Processes tab in Resource monitor, it matches the values shown in the trace (i.e., CPU usage is not 100%, but the charts and summary total at the top of the processes tab are maxed out.

In task manager the CPU usage numbers seem to be normalised to 100%.

i.e. they are constantly changing but seem to always add up to 100%.

I think that the CPU usage reported in the trace is correct, but Task Manager and Resource monitor are doing something wrong?

Joe...J, May 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Terminal showing Windows 10 CPU constantly at max 100% - Similar Threads - Terminal showing CPU

2. windows 10 task manager show cpu not at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 task manager show cpu not at 100%: Hi I'm inquiring about a possible bug with windows 10 task manager.When I'm running any heavy loads games and such, my Laptop processor never went pass 50% at all.Especially noticeable when playing games it just doesn't fun at full CPU, I even tried run games not recommended...
  3. windows 10 task manager show cpu not at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 task manager show cpu not at 100%: Hi I'm inquiring about a possible bug with windows 10 task manager.When I'm running any heavy loads games and such, my Laptop processor never went pass 50% at all.Especially noticeable when playing games it just doesn't fun at full CPU, I even tried run games not recommended...
  4. windows 10 task manager show cpu not at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. CPU constantly at 100% in task manager

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU constantly at 100% in task manager: Hi, on the users tab of the task manager the CPU section always displays 100% CPU usage, but when viewed with Core Temp the usage percentage is at it's correct % which is 0-1%. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks. [img] and core temps readings [img] windows version...
  6. 100% CPU usage constantly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% CPU usage constantly: Yesterday my PC was working fine and had low enough cpu usage but since I've booted it up this morning it has stayed at 100% CPU usage. I've tried following some things online after i noticed wmi (or something like that) using a lot of CPU. This led me to figuring out i had...
  7. CPU constantly at 100%

CPU constantly at 100%: Being as stubborn as I am for Windows 7, I waited until the last possible second to upgrade to Windows 10. Now that I've upgraded, my CPU is constantly at or near 100% mainly by two processes listed as System and System Interrupts, both running 20-30% each. I looked around...
  8. CPU Usage Constantly Hitting 100%

CPU Usage Constantly Hitting 100%: Hi everyone! I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s with iCore 7, 12GB Ram, 512GB SSD, and Windows 10 Pro. The laptop was working flawlessly until a few days ago... All of the sudden the machine has slowed significantly, and I whenever I open a browser (no matter whether it's MS...
  9. CPU Maxes at 100% off disk build

CPU Maxes at 100% off disk build: Dear Forum board build number 10586 I have built an HP Probook 450 G4 from disk from scratch,on starting to build it up I notice the CPU is maxing at 100% straight fromboot with an Ethernet cable in, I did a bit of research and disabled SuperFetchthat helped for a short...
  10. CPU Usage Constantly at 100%

CPU Usage Constantly at 100%: When I was running Windows 8.1, I had this same problem. Upgraded to Windows 10, issue persisted, until I reset the PC (August). After I reset, CPU usage was normal. A few weeks ago, though, CPU usage has jumped right back up to 100% (per Task Manager). I've tried...