Windows 10: terrible slow boot

Discus and support terrible slow boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thank you! I will try Vmware again, as I never rebooted it except for updates (used the suspend feature) I didn't noticed it! and check the event 100... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by derek10, Apr 11, 2015.

1. derek10 Win User

terrible slow boot

Thank you!
    I will try Vmware again, as I never rebooted it except for updates (used the suspend feature) I didn't noticed it! and check the event 100 if it's slow

The sure thing is that the HD was active (light steadily on) and usual HD noises during that 10 minute black screen after logo. After that, the desktop loaded, the HD light continued to be on/flashing for a minute or two then off. I defragged with the Windows built in app, and remove junk files with the disk cleanup (20GB) and nothing improved. The HD is OK

If I shutdown and turn on again, then Windows boots in a couple of seconds (like W8/8.1) but as I need to reboot a lot and shutting down a PC too often is bad for hardware, I need it to boot fast during reboots.

W7 takes here "only" 2 minutes (I didn't defraged yet) but way less than 10 minutes *Sad

terrible slow boot [​IMG]

derek10, Apr 14, 2015
  2. Mystere Win User

2 minutes to boot Windows 7? That's crazy? Even that should only take at most a minute...

Make sure to check your Device Manager... Slow boot is often a symptom of not having a working disk driver, thus it's running in "legacy" disk mode.

Mystere, Apr 14, 2015
  3. derek10 Win User
    Thank you. I have the SATA driver provided from Gigabyte and device manager is OK. After defrag, update and such now it's down to 1.5 min.

My hard drive is an old laptop one salvaged from a dead laptop. I hope I can upgrade to a new faster one and keep this for music & data

derek10, Apr 14, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

terrible slow boot

If you upgrade, I would look for a SSHD. Those are faster than HDDs but not as fast as SSDs.

500gb sshd - Newegg.com

5. Mystere Win User
    You might want to do a chkdsk and scan for bad sectors... that might be part of the problem... sector retries...

Mystere, Apr 15, 2015
  6. Windows slows down soon as you add certain software (e.g. Adobe, MS Office) even if you disable all of the Startup items. *Sad
    Windows Updates are probably even worse.
    After installing the Windows Updates this time last year, my boot time nearly doubled.

Intel Celeron G530 CPUs aren't very powerful either.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...30+%40+2.40GHz

lehnerus2000, Apr 15, 2015
  7. The stupid editor wouldn't let me add anything to my last post without combining it with the link. *Confused
    I'd also check that all of the power and data cables for all of the components (e.g. HDDs, Optical drives, etc.) are properly connected.

If possible try new cables, as the standard SATA cables wear out and slip off of the drive connectors.
    I had to replace my HDD SATA cables with ones that had clips to stop that occurring.

8. usasma Win User

terrible slow boot

In short, there are 2 different reasons for a system slowing down:
    - hardware
    - software

So, start with the hardware stuff first (IMO) in order to rule it out. I'd start with these free diagnostics: Hardware Diagnostics
    CHKDDK checks the file system on the hard drive - so it's possible to pass CHKDSK even with a problem hard drive (not often, but it's still possible). Running the Long/Extended hard drive diagnostics will help to sort this out.

As for the software problems, try looking at Resource Monitor and Task Manager (along with Event Viewer and MSINFO32) in order to see if there is a particular program/set of programs messing things up.

Beyond that are the different Windows tools for fixing Windows problems (SFC.EXE, DISM, System Restore, Refresh, Reset, or just doing a complete wipe of the hard drive before installing Windows).

usasma, Apr 15, 2015
  9. derek10 Win User
    Thank you!

there seems to be good deals for disks (even regular HDs) way better than mine. I will look at!

Yeah, but as the HD light is steadily on during boots, I suppose it's the bootleneck there.
    In my case seems to be on the other way, it has improved after updates *Biggrin

My cable has a metal hook that locks it in place, like this:

derek10, Apr 15, 2015
  10. derek10 Win User
    Thank you.
    As for hardware:

I used memtest overnight some time ago to test my new RAM module and came clear.
    Same as Prime95 and IntelBurntest.
    I run furmark in burn mode and no artifacts, hangs, or bsods.
    I wll try CHKDSK and come back with the results.

As for software.
    No virus/malware I didn't installed anything yet except the drivers (from Gigabyte) and updates (from Windows update), browsers (Chrome/Opera/Firefox, from their websites)

Nothing unusual in task manager,resource monitor nor event viewer. Windows is clean installed

I will run SFC and DISM now and comment out

derek10, Apr 15, 2015
  11. That type shouldn't work loose. *Smile

Have you checked the HDD SMART data (using something like Speccy)?

How old is the HDD?
    How old is the motherboard?

It's possible the drive is going bad.
    You might need to run Check Disk with the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option selected.

It's also posssible that the HDD and/or motherboard controller has developed a fault.
    One of the SATA sockets on my motherboard behaves erratically (HDDs perform poorly when they are connected to it).

You could also try uninstalling your devices and drivers and then reinstalling them, in case there was a problem when they were last installed.

12. derek10 Win User
    Thank you
    The HD is about 5 years old.
    The MB is 3 years old

Check disk came clean.
    SMART data is OK

I will try another SATA port (after the chkdsk) and post!
    I reinstalled chipset driver and SATA driver but no improved *Sad

derek10, Apr 15, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

terrible slow boot

Mystere, Apr 16, 2015
  14. Your SMART data looks good.

Have you tried using the built-in W7 SATA driver (instead of the motherboard one)?

When I installed a 3TB HDD (a few months ago) I had a number of wacky issues, including:
    • Long boot times
    • Long shut down times
    It turned out that the motherboard SATA driver didn't support 3TB HDDs.
    When I uninstalled it and used the built-in W7 SATA driver, my problems went away.

lehnerus2000, Apr 16, 2015
  15. derek10 Win User
    Done all tests
    Memory is OK.
    CPU is OK.
    Windows files are OK.
    Hard disk seems to be OK (not defective)
    Motherboard SATA ports are OK.
    Maybe I should assume my hard disk is slow and life with that

Hope I can buy a new faster (and bigger) one.

Using the stock driver makes boot time worse (longer time in the Windows 7 logo) lol

Thank you!

derek10, Apr 17, 2015
Thema:

terrible slow boot

1. terrible slow boot - Similar Threads - terrible slow boot

2. Slow boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow boot: Hello everyonePlease I need help, in windows 7, I know it's dated but the 'starting windows logo' part takes way longer after installing a lot of performance and sercuirty updates, welcome part is pretty fast but starting windows takes around 2 minutes, please help. Deleting...
  3. Browsing name resolution terribly slow ~11s

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browsing name resolution terribly slow ~11s: My DNS name resolution when visiting websites is very slow average 11 s.Typically this happens with web searching and links to unvisited sites. But I also suffer when I access a webapp like microsoft's outlook.office.com.The interface is quick and responsive, but the data...
  4. Terrible slow shutdown!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Terrible slow shutdown!: I don't have any problem with my PC, but since last windows upgrade (from 20H2 to 21H1) shutdown is too slow. I tried many solutions but nothing helped. How to fix it? 177039
  5. my boot screen is in terrible quality

in Windows 10 Customization
    my boot screen is in terrible quality: so a while ago my boot screen has been in terrible quality here is what it looks like https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/ma8eml/windows_boot_screen_is_in_really_low_quality/ and yes i did ask reddit first. ive ran many anti virus scans with avast windows defender etc,...
  6. Slow boot

Slow boot: Please, my booting very slow, what can i do to it to make boot faster? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-boot/31aa9b5a-44ac-4968-a391-e0753744d8d9
  7. slow boot

slow boot: hello everyone, the build number of the system is 19042.546 ssd on the slot m2 is patriot viper vpn 100 1 TB i am sending the file from windows performance recorder it happens from the second start after a clean installation link here...
  8. Photos terribly slow to delete

Photos terribly slow to delete: I am a novice here. My computer recently updated to Windows 10, but even before then I believe it took a LONGtime minutes to delete and try to move pictures to a flash drive. I am moving/deleting photos to try to free up some disc space. The disc has minimum free space. Is...
  9. OneDrive is sooo terribly slow

OneDrive is sooo terribly slow: MS sells Office 365 including 1TB OneDrive space (per account) However, my experience is that it is incredibly slow. For a limited number of files, OneDrive may be okay, but it has significant issues (at least with me here) handling larger number of files. It is...
  10. Terrible terrible support.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Terrible terrible support.: I called this number Call a toll free number: (800) 642 7676 / TDD/TTY 800 892-5234 I asked "I want some answer about windows 10 IOT" She said "This is the close time right now" it's 9 PM in US of A (and I think it close 10) So I told her that it's not then she...