Windows 10: terrible slow boot

Discus and support terrible slow boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not sure if this will work for Windows 10, but you can give it a shot... https://helgeklein.com/blog/2013/07/...rder-analyzer/ None of the commands... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by derek10, Apr 11, 2015.

1. derek10 Win User

terrible slow boot

None of the commands in that page work here *Biggrin
    'xbootmgr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

'wpr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I assume it's for Windows 8? (I use Windows 7 now)

Edit: woops I had to install Windows performance tool kit, now they work

terrible slow boot [​IMG]

derek10, Apr 17, 2015

2. It is strange. *Confused

I was using a 320 GB Seagate IDE HDD up until 2011:
    • My W7 boot time was ~45s
    • My XP boot time was ~55s

lehnerus2000, Apr 17, 2015
  3. derek10 Win User
    hmmmm... Can you please run HDTune on it if it is still there?

Even if it's IDE, it may be faster (especially if it's a desktop one) *Biggrin, less latency, more continuous throughput, etc

derek10, Apr 17, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

terrible slow boot

That disk is mighty slow - a lot slower than one of my flash drives - and that is not my fastest stick. And look at the access time. You are ready for a SSD.

5. Mystere Win User
    Ok, that's Windows 7... not Windows 10. And it says 64 seconds, not 2 minutes.

Mystere, Apr 17, 2015
  6. derek10 Win User
    I said I've now Windows 7 in which 2 minutes to boot was abnormal.
    Event ID 100 says 2 minutes.

derek10, Apr 17, 2015
  7. derek10 Win User
    Almost twice the highest speed of my disk with almost 0 Access Time and without those deep dips, and it's a USB stick *Biggrin
    I will watch SSD prices, there seems to be deals on a local store *Smile There are even 2TB SATA3 mechanical HDs with way higher speeds, huge cache and lower access time

derek10, Apr 17, 2015
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

terrible slow boot

Nothing beats an SSD. Last week they had 120GB drives for under $50 - at Newegg. But if you need a lot of storage, a SSHD may be a compromise.

sshd - Newegg.com

9. We used to have another working PC, but the motherboard died, so that HDD is in storage.
    My current case is one of those horrible smaller types, so installing hardware is a PITA.
    Sorry. *Sad

Here is my current desktop HDD (WD Green 2TB - 64KB Blocks)

Here is my laptop SSD (SDSSDXP480G - 64KB Blocks)

lehnerus2000, Apr 18, 2015
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    That SanDisk is pretty good - although a bit nervous.

11. I was surprised that its average wasn't much better than the HDD's.

The SSD average looks better using 8MB Blocks (av: 250.7 MB/s, access: 0.2ms).
    The SSD is almost full (I've read that the performance drops as the amount of free space declines).

12. WHS
    whs Win User
    I guess that is a possibility because of the way the garbage collection works. It would mainly impact write operations.

13. terrible slow boot

I believe that is what the article said.

IIRC, the article implied that once you use over 50% of the SSDs capacity, its performance degrades.
    They recommended keeping 25% free to limit the degradation.

I think I bookmarked it in Windows, but I'm in LM right now so I can't post the link. *Sad

14. WHS
    whs Win User
    That sounds about right. But even with the small degradation, any SSD is still very fast. I myself do not worry about that very much. Whether my boot time is 18 sec or 25 sec - who cares. I picked boot time because that is the easiest to get accurate data.

15. lehnerus2000, Apr 19, 2015
Thema:

terrible slow boot

1. terrible slow boot - Similar Threads - terrible slow boot

2. Slow boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow boot: Hello everyonePlease I need help, in windows 7, I know it's dated but the 'starting windows logo' part takes way longer after installing a lot of performance and sercuirty updates, welcome part is pretty fast but starting windows takes around 2 minutes, please help. Deleting...
  3. Browsing name resolution terribly slow ~11s

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browsing name resolution terribly slow ~11s: My DNS name resolution when visiting websites is very slow average 11 s.Typically this happens with web searching and links to unvisited sites. But I also suffer when I access a webapp like microsoft's outlook.office.com.The interface is quick and responsive, but the data...
  4. Terrible slow shutdown!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Terrible slow shutdown!: I don't have any problem with my PC, but since last windows upgrade (from 20H2 to 21H1) shutdown is too slow. I tried many solutions but nothing helped. How to fix it? 177039
  5. my boot screen is in terrible quality

in Windows 10 Customization
    my boot screen is in terrible quality: so a while ago my boot screen has been in terrible quality here is what it looks like https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/ma8eml/windows_boot_screen_is_in_really_low_quality/ and yes i did ask reddit first. ive ran many anti virus scans with avast windows defender etc,...
  6. Slow boot

Slow boot: Please, my booting very slow, what can i do to it to make boot faster? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-boot/31aa9b5a-44ac-4968-a391-e0753744d8d9
  7. slow boot

slow boot: hello everyone, the build number of the system is 19042.546 ssd on the slot m2 is patriot viper vpn 100 1 TB i am sending the file from windows performance recorder it happens from the second start after a clean installation link here...
  8. Photos terribly slow to delete

Photos terribly slow to delete: I am a novice here. My computer recently updated to Windows 10, but even before then I believe it took a LONGtime minutes to delete and try to move pictures to a flash drive. I am moving/deleting photos to try to free up some disc space. The disc has minimum free space. Is...
  9. OneDrive is sooo terribly slow

OneDrive is sooo terribly slow: MS sells Office 365 including 1TB OneDrive space (per account) However, my experience is that it is incredibly slow. For a limited number of files, OneDrive may be okay, but it has significant issues (at least with me here) handling larger number of files. It is...
  10. Terrible terrible support.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Terrible terrible support.: I called this number Call a toll free number: (800) 642 7676 / TDD/TTY 800 892-5234 I asked "I want some answer about windows 10 IOT" She said "This is the close time right now" it's 9 PM in US of A (and I think it close 10) So I told her that it's not then she...