Windows 10: terrible slow boot

Discus and support terrible slow boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good article. Here is another good one. Garbage Collection and TRIM in SSDs Explained - An SSD Primer | The SSD Review Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by derek10, Apr 11, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

terrible slow boot

2. Hi

Funny thing is I turned off Hibernation to save 28 gigabytes of disk space and my computer actually boots in about the same amount of time, and it shuts down a lot faster.

I guess it makes sense that it shuts down faster, it doesn't have to spend time storing all that stuff.

My boot times have gone up a lot from when I first installed Windows 10, back then it took about 15 seconds, now it's up to about a minute.

It wakes from sleep pretty much instantly still.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Apr 19, 2015
  3. lehnerus2000, Apr 19, 2015
  4. terrible slow boot

yea i noticed that windows 10 boots slower, not 10 minutes but still a unnecessary black screen pause for 10 seconds then boot

xdarkmario, Apr 20, 2015
  5. With Windows, some things never change, there is still a totally redundant 30 sec, boot delay programmed into the OS.
    Kill that with this little tweak.

Shorten the Boot Time in XP, Vista & Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10

Go to the start button, choose run, then type msconfig and press Ok.

On the system configuration window, choose the "Boot.INI" tab.

Check “No Gui Boot”, then lower the timeout to a more manageable time.
    I choose 3 seconds in stead of 30. (windows won’t accept a lower number than 3)

Next choose advanced options.
    This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
    Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors)
    then choose OK. The Windows default is only 1 core.

Now choose apply and OK, reboot and you should see a marked decrease in boot time, and an Increase in Run-Time efficiency.

Don's have a start button? Get to your task manager and click on File. Then RUN a new task. Type in MSCONFIG (yes, it's still there). Then follow the tweak above.

Good Luck,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Apr 20, 2015
  6. I've tried that "No GUI Boot" previously, but I didn't notice any speed increase.

lehnerus2000, Apr 20, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    I'm still getting about 30 second delay with black screen from start of the boot to sign in screen, after it goes as fast as HDD and startup programs would allow it. All told, 45 seconds from button press to usable state. In the mean time, about 10 seconds for update check and OneDrive synchronization.

CountMike, Apr 21, 2015
  8. usasma Win User

terrible slow boot

usasma, Apr 26, 2015
  9. xdarkmario, May 8, 2015
  10. yea thats a bit difficult i dont have knowledge Windows SDK, but the longer i look atmy windows boot speed the more it becomes annoying. my computer used to boot in 10 seconds WITHOUT fastboot! and now its down to a crawl...No Mssd support, and a slow 30 second or so boot. i need to see whats behind that black screen.
    if i enable boot log in msconfig maybe ill see?

xdarkmario, May 11, 2015
  11. Gary Win User
    I get that same black screen in bootup. Bringing my pc or I should say This PC out of sleep is very fast though.

Thema:

terrible slow boot

1. terrible slow boot - Similar Threads - terrible slow boot

2. Slow boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow boot: Hello everyonePlease I need help, in windows 7, I know it's dated but the 'starting windows logo' part takes way longer after installing a lot of performance and sercuirty updates, welcome part is pretty fast but starting windows takes around 2 minutes, please help. Deleting...
  3. Browsing name resolution terribly slow ~11s

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browsing name resolution terribly slow ~11s: My DNS name resolution when visiting websites is very slow average 11 s.Typically this happens with web searching and links to unvisited sites. But I also suffer when I access a webapp like microsoft's outlook.office.com.The interface is quick and responsive, but the data...
  4. Terrible slow shutdown!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Terrible slow shutdown!: I don't have any problem with my PC, but since last windows upgrade (from 20H2 to 21H1) shutdown is too slow. I tried many solutions but nothing helped. How to fix it? 177039
  5. my boot screen is in terrible quality

in Windows 10 Customization
    my boot screen is in terrible quality: so a while ago my boot screen has been in terrible quality here is what it looks like https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/ma8eml/windows_boot_screen_is_in_really_low_quality/ and yes i did ask reddit first. ive ran many anti virus scans with avast windows defender etc,...
  6. Slow boot

Slow boot: Please, my booting very slow, what can i do to it to make boot faster? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-boot/31aa9b5a-44ac-4968-a391-e0753744d8d9
  7. slow boot

slow boot: hello everyone, the build number of the system is 19042.546 ssd on the slot m2 is patriot viper vpn 100 1 TB i am sending the file from windows performance recorder it happens from the second start after a clean installation link here...
  8. Photos terribly slow to delete

Photos terribly slow to delete: I am a novice here. My computer recently updated to Windows 10, but even before then I believe it took a LONGtime minutes to delete and try to move pictures to a flash drive. I am moving/deleting photos to try to free up some disc space. The disc has minimum free space. Is...
  9. OneDrive is sooo terribly slow

OneDrive is sooo terribly slow: MS sells Office 365 including 1TB OneDrive space (per account) However, my experience is that it is incredibly slow. For a limited number of files, OneDrive may be okay, but it has significant issues (at least with me here) handling larger number of files. It is...
  10. Terrible terrible support.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Terrible terrible support.: I called this number Call a toll free number: (800) 642 7676 / TDD/TTY 800 892-5234 I asked "I want some answer about windows 10 IOT" She said "This is the close time right now" it's 9 PM in US of A (and I think it close 10) So I told her that it's not then she...