Windows 10: Test hard drive

Discus and support Test hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, My hard drive [2TB new] takes about 3 minutes to stop making a slight noise at bootup. How can I test a hard drive or figure out why it makes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jdelaney7, Aug 13, 2020.

1. jdelaney7 Win User

Test hard drive

Hi,

My hard drive [2TB new] takes about 3 minutes to stop making a slight noise at bootup. How can I test a hard drive or figure out why it makes noise for about 3 minutes?

Thanks,

Joe Delaney
    Win Version 1909

:)

jdelaney7, Aug 13, 2020

2. full test of hard drive

We don't know what you used to do the test.

Refer to the hard drive diagnostics software that you used list of error codes at their website or community forums.

Bill Smithers, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Aug 13, 2020
  4. Test hard drive

Mechanical Hard Drive A:\

Proceed with the steps I gave you to test the hard drive to know for sure it's condition.

If it passes wipe it and try formatting as suggested. If it fails initializing as MBR then try GPT (for data).

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

Test hard drive

1. Test hard drive - Similar Threads - Test hard drive

2. Test New Hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Test New Hard drive: .Yesterday the hard drive has just got two blue screens and re-started twice while i was searching online , i'v had 3 blue screens and restarted computers in the last 3 days . I think its the new hard drive .
  3. hard drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drives: i cant download stuff to one of my hard drives can someone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drives/1aaff0a4-d2f8-4282-be47-d124ad3077a9
  4. test recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    test recovery drive: I just created a Recovery Drive on a USB Flash Drive for my Windows 10 Pro laptop. How can I test whether the recovery drive is functional, without messing up the existing OS , files, and applications? Thanks....
  5. Hard drive test completed, but with read failure.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive test completed, but with read failure.: Hello everyone, for the past few days my computer has been acting very slow and the disk usage never goes over 50%. I ran a test using "GSmartControl" and it showed the results of the test as "Completed with read failure" I check another tool to be safe and the health of it...
  6. Hard drive test completed, but with read failure.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard drive test completed, but with read failure.: Hello everyone, for the past few days my computer has been acting very slow and the disk usage never goes over 50%. I ran a test using "GSmartControl" and it showed the results of the test as "Completed with read failure" I check another tool to be safe and the health of it...
  7. Test hard drive

Test hard drive: Hi, My hard drive [2TB new] takes about 3 minutes to stop making a slight noise at bootup. How can I test a hard drive or figure out why it makes noise for about 3 minutes? Thanks, Joe Delaney Win Version 1909 162464
  8. Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drives: So my original Hard Drive has ran out of space but I have another hard drive that hold 931gb but I don't know how to switch the hard drives where all the new games I wanna install, install on the 931gb hard drive instead of my old one....
  9. Hard Drive

Hard Drive: Why does Windows 10 device manager report that my HD is a SCSI device when it is Sata? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hard-drive/142a3ac7-c923-48e4-b22e-2bf71029a2cd
  10. hard drives.

hard drives.: my question is if you are using more than 1 hard drive in your computer I run 3 ops on 3 different drives. when you down load the new win 10 can you install on any drive in your computer? or only the one you signed up for the new down load from Microsoft on? 7597