Windows 10: Testing a Win10 Bootable USB media created with Rufus?

Discus and support Testing a Win10 Bootable USB media created with Rufus? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had downloaded the latest Media Creation Tool which is the Windows 10 AU update and downloaded the ISO file. Then, I used Rufus to create a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by win10freak, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Testing a Win10 Bootable USB media created with Rufus?

I had downloaded the latest Media Creation Tool which is the Windows 10 AU update and downloaded the ISO file. Then, I used Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive whenever I need to perform a clean re-install of Windows 10 AU.

I do not want to install the AU update yet, but just need to find out the integrity of my newly created bootable USB media with the Windows 10 AU setup files on it.

In order to test if it boots up to the setup screen, can I test that on my own machine and then exit out of it without wiping my current Windows 10 (1511) installation?

I just need to test the bootable USB media created with Rufus to ensure if it boots up to the Windows 10 setup screen.
    In other words, I just want to test the integrity of the USB bootable flash drive created with Rufus.

:)

win10freak, Nov 5, 2016

2. media creation tool: no options

I wish to create bootable USB media to re-install Windows 10 on a computer that won't boot.

I downloaded the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 on to another Win10 PC.

Then I put blank 8GB USB stick in the the PC to which I have downloaded the tool. The PC recognises and mounts the USB stick.

However, when I run MediaCreationTool.exe, it downloads masses of stuff and then proceeds to try and install it on the PC I have downloaded it to, without ever giving me the option to create bootable media.

I have searched in vain for an actual Windows 10 .ISO image which I could use to create bootable media, but all links return me to the Media Creation Tool download page. So I'm stuck until I can persuade the MCTool that I want to create media, NOT do an
    immediate local install.

adamskeaping, Nov 5, 2016
  3. Ruler225 Win User
    Create bootable USB for Win 10 install

I also had trouble making a bootable usb, however, this weird method works. If you're running windows 8/8.1 (or any other operating system that can create recovery media) follow these steps.

Go to Start -----> Search for "Create a recovery drive" --------> Create the recovery drive.

Now comes the weird part:

Delete all the contents of the usb you created, but don't format it. Now, paste all the contents of the iso into the usb. No third-party software needed (unless your version of windows doesn't support native iso file viewing, in which case, download 7-zip).

I really don't know how this works (it worked for me). Maybe by creating recovery media, windows properly makes the disk bootable, then you can paste the files you want.

By the way, don't copy your pc's entire recovery partition to your usb, that will take way too long.

Hope this helps

Ruler225, Nov 5, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Testing a Win10 Bootable USB media created with Rufus?

The Windows install media will only wipe out your computer if you proceed with the install. Booting into the media will not do that. So yes you can test it on your working computer without any risk.

Neemobeer, Nov 5, 2016
  5. So I just need to test it if it boots up to where it ask me to select the Location, Language, and Keyboard layout, then I can exit out of that?
    Am I correct?

I just do not want to reinstall Windows 10 again just to test the newly created bootable USB flash drive created with Rufus...That would be really insane...

And I do not have an extra machine either.

win10freak, Nov 5, 2016
  6. Neemobeer Win User
    You are correct. As long as it gets to the Windows setup it should be good to go.

Neemobeer, Nov 5, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not completely correct. I've seen USB flash drives that would boot to the blue initial Windows setup screen, but as soon as you tried to go further into the custom install where you would delete partitions to perform a clean install Windows setup has stopped and asked for disk controller drivers to continue.

@win10freak, you can boot the computer from the USB flash drive, click the install now button, skip entering product key if asked, pick which Windows version to install, if asked, then select the Custom Install option. You should be presented a list of hard drives and partitions. When you see that list, you can be 99% certain the USB flash drive is good and you can just pull the USB flash drive out at that point and reboot your computer and nothing will have been affected on it.

As a side note - I would never use Rufus to create the Windows 10 USB flash drive. I've read too many posts about people who have checked the wrong box and gotten a USB flash drive that wouldn't boot. There are much more reliable ways to create Windows 10 installation flash drives that will boot both on legacy BIOS computers and UEFI computers.

NavyLCDR, Nov 6, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Somehow I do not think it is the users that check the wrong box but Rufus insisting on checking the box it thinks is the right one though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 6, 2016
  9. Here is why I resorted to Rufus because the MCT had issues creating bootable USB media.
    My USB is formatted to exFAT and I had formatted it before using the MCT.
    What can be wrong?
    I don't even security policies that would block writing to USB drives
    And looks like I am not the only one facing the issue.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-f45e608c4337
    I think Rufus might be more reliable when just using the default settings.

win10freak, Nov 6, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Best way to test the tool is to create a virtual hard driven and install OS to the vhd. You will get a boot entry added so you can boot to your normal windows or to the vhd. This method does not affect your current install in any way, apart from adding one file and adding a boot entry.

To do this:

Boot from usb installation drive, and when at the "install now" screen, press shift+f10 to jump to a command prompt.

Then type following commands (can change path, names, files size (set at 50,000 MB in example)):

c:
    cd\
    md vhd
    diskpart
    create vdisk file=c:\vhd\win10.vhd maximum=50000 type=fixed
    select vdisk file=c:\vhd\win10.vhd
    attach vdisk
    exit
    exit

Then press install now and install OS to the newly created virtual disk unallocated space (usually last in disk list). Skip key entry.

Then reboot pc and select vhd, and you will boot to the freshly installed Windows.

To delete virtual disk, simply delete file, and remove boot entry by running msconfig, selecting boot tab, and deleting boot entry.

cereberus, Nov 6, 2016
  11. Why am I getting the create iso media errors though?
    This never happened when I created a bootable iso for my current installation and being the same USB stick.

Is the MCT corrupt or something?

win10freak, Nov 6, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    Redownload and recreate.

cereberus, Nov 6, 2016
  13. Testing a Win10 Bootable USB media created with Rufus?

After numerous tries and testing I formatted my Kingston HyperX USB stick to FAT32 since its default is exFAT and maybe the MCT does not except this format. So I formatted it with the Kingston Format tool to FAT32 and then it worked this time around.
    However, the MCT should of automatically reformatted it to FAT32? Is this true or not?

I still want to use the MCT tool, as Rufus is not really user friendly for the non-techy users.
    Rufus is great for some people, but its too advanced for my knowledge.

win10freak, Nov 6, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is the most reliable way to get a USB flash drive that will boot on both legacy BIOS and UEFI:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

at step 9, make sure to use FAT32:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12, mount the Windows 10 installation ISO file. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Nov 6, 2016
  15. All I need to know is that whether the MCT will create a FAT32 file system automatically or not?
    If not, then I will have a look at the above link you posted.

The Kingston HyperX USB stick defaults to exFAT, and the other option is NTFS and that's it.
    I guess the MCT needs FAT32 in order to create the bootable ISO.

So will the MCT automatically format my USB stick to FAT32 or will I have use a third party tool like I did for next time in the future?

win10freak, Nov 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Testing a Win10 Bootable USB media created with Rufus? - Similar Threads - Testing Win10 Bootable

2. Create bootable USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create bootable USB: Hi community, I'm creating a bootable usb by rufus. It give me 3 options: 1, Create with legacy BIOS or UEFI 2, Create with only UEFI 3, Create with only legacy BIOS Can someone explain to me these 3 options, and your recommendation option ? Thank you, have a good day !...
  3. how to create a USB bootable media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to create a USB bootable media: I have an Acer desktop computer running Windows 10 and I got only the update Version 1803. I can't get 1809 and 19093 because after installation, I can't boot the computer. On the other hand, Microsoft informs that I need to get the newer version update. That is why I need to...
  4. Creating Bootable Media

Creating Bootable Media: Hi all,I have a quick question about creating a bootable usb stick.I am not to computer savvy so please bare with me. I read the tutorial on how to do it with the media creation tool.Went as planned,I guess,haven't used it yet but what I wanted to know is I removed the usb...
  5. Using Rufus to create installation USB

Using Rufus to create installation USB: Hi all, I've been having ridiculous amounts of trouble getting the Media Install tool (whatever its called) from Microsoft to create an USB Installer for windows - I'm done with it, don't want to use it. I've heard there's a program called Rufus, from here: https://rufus.ie...
  6. best Rufus-type tool for creating bootable USB with multiple ISOs

best Rufus-type tool for creating bootable USB with multiple ISOs: I'm a happy camper using Rufus to create a bootable USB from just one ISO. Now I have a 32 GB USB 3 thumb drive and I want to install various 3, 4, maybe more rescue disks plus Win 64 1803 on this one thumb drive. What's the best, or what are the best choices? Why? There are...
  7. New - Rufus v2.0.639 - Create bootable USB drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New - Rufus v2.0.639 - Create bootable USB drives: Version 2.0 (2015.03.03) Major UI improvements (improved font, new info field, no separate progress dialog, etc.) Add support for Windows To Go (when Rufus is running on Windows 8 or later) Add support for Grub4DOS and GRUB 2 based images (e.g. FreeNAS) Add portable...
  8. Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive

Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive: Ive been playing around with various methods for creating a Bootable Windows 10 flash drive to clean install Windows 10. Ive always used the Media Creation Tool to Download/Create the USB until recently it no longer works for me. You guys on here gave me instructions on...
  9. Help in creating Windows 10 Bootable USB /Rufus

Help in creating Windows 10 Bootable USB /Rufus: Hi All, I downloaded Windows 10 via MediaCreation tool and selected Pro x86 and x64 ("Both"). After the download was completed an ISO was created. Then i though of using Rufus but it is giving me error "iso image extraction failure". I used winzip to extract files and see...
  10. Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive: Hi all, Having had a problem using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive Ive decided to use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO and then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. After downloading Rufus onto my...