Windows 10: Testing Macrim Reflect

Discus and support Testing Macrim Reflect in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; ' That's the one you should use. You can also create an ISO rescue media later on by selecting ISO instead of CD/DVD: [img] Hi there don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by msny, Jun 5, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Testing Macrim Reflect

Hi there

don't forget also that for the REAL (physical machine) you can create a bootable USB version of Macrium. Just download / create the ISO as Kari said and then use RUFUS to create a bootable USB stick.

VMWARE (and VBOX I think) don't yet have the mechanism to boot a USB drive directly - no USB boot option in the VM's BIOS. Hwever once you've decided Macrium is fine I'd create the bootable USB stick for your REAL hardware. So much easier than physical DVD's - also a lot of machine (laptops / tablets) don't have physical DVD's any more.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

heers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 18, 2016
  2. Kari Win User

Jimbo, OP already has a rescue DVD. That screenshot and post of mine, that was a respond to OP's question which media to use to boot the vm:

I told OP that's the media, and told that additionally Macrium allows creating an ISO rescue media, too, my point being that it might be easier to use on a vm.

3. msny Win User
    Yes thank you I created the USB stick yesterday.

4. msny Win User

Testing Macrim Reflect

Trying to sort out those options as it seems confusing.
    Questions:
    Can I install VirtualBox on my non-boot drive, like D or E?
    Can I install Windows 10 PE in the virtual drive, and then test my Macrim image into it there?
    The issue seems to be I need a windows 10 OS on the virtual drive first?

Like this but with VirtualBox?
    Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Virtualization

Thanks for your patience, i don't want to mess this up or I'm not on the same page here.

5. dmesal Win User
    i would love to be able to replace the HDD if i could get my sealed (non user upgradable) type laptop open without destroying it.

dmesal, Jun 19, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    I'm surprised you can't change the HDD - have you checked with Toshiba support? It was very easy on my Dell Laptop to remove the battery then replace the HDD under the battery with a SSD.

Steve C, Jun 19, 2016
  7. dmesal Win User
    it specifically states not user upgradable along with the battery and the ram.

dmesal, Jun 19, 2016
  8. derekimo Win User

Testing Macrim Reflect

derekimo, Jun 19, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I've never heard of a laptop (PC type) where you can't change the HDD. Some laptops might be a real dog to open but it's always possible with the correct tools.

A laptop HDD costs around 15 - 20 USD these days (or even less) --why would you have say a 500 USD laptop become useless because an easily replaceable part costing 15 USD goes defective.

There might be something on the warranty that voids it if you open the case etc - but that's a completely different issue - and understandable as incorrect handling can easily break things.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 19, 2016
  10. dmesal Win User
    well the whole backside is sealed not one door to unscrew so i think that makes the whole unit non-user up gradable just my thinking.
    my older Toshiba had two doors,

dmesal, Jun 21, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It might be possible to open it from the keyboard side or if the lid / screen detaches -- there's usually a way to replace a laptop screen too (although these days usually not a cost effective option). I've seen some where with a special tool you can prise it open from a USB slot and gently lift the whole panel (including keyboard) upwards to get access to the mobo underneath. Don't do this though unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

If you really can't replace HDD's then you are stuck with it I'm afraid. Even the ultra thin HP envy with the Bang and Olufsen speakers inside can be opened - don't attempt though unless you are quite skilled with this type of thing --definitely NOT for an amateur !!!.

Next time I buy a laptop I'll definitely check whether user parts are replaceable.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 21, 2016
  12. dmesal Win User
    that was my thought exactly but my older LT died in transit to Japan and that was the one avail that didn't have NR attached to the model number

Many Thanks

dmesal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Testing Macrim Reflect

1. Testing Macrim Reflect - Similar Threads - Testing Macrim Reflect

2. How can I test Macrium Reflect Free backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How can I test Macrium Reflect Free backup?: Because my Windows 10 pro crashed an became unbootable recently, I decided to be a little more proactive. To my dismay I found that Macrium Reflect Free does not support file backup, nor could I find a way to find and replace a file in the disk image backup I had made. I...
  3. testing Macrium Reflect image restore completely

testing Macrium Reflect image restore completely: I am evaluating Macrium Reflect Free Edition Version 7.2 Build 4473 on Windows 10 Home version 1903 build 18362.388, desktop PC. I've been successfully creating full and differential images the last few days and I'd like to try to test an image restore as if my main drive...
  4. Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall

Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall: I have been trying to restore my first Windows 10 image. For some reason I have not been able to get into the Macrium forum. Maybe somebody has some thought to get me over a stuck place? Here the path to my stall. Hopefully it will make sense to those with experience?...
  5. Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall: I have been trying to restore my first Windows 10 image. For some reason I have not been able to get into the Macrium forum. Maybe somebody has some thought to get me over a stuck place? Here the path to my stall. Hopefully it will make sense to those with experience?...
  6. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  7. Macrium Reflect update

Macrium Reflect update: Hello, While making a weekly backup (differential or full) with Macrium version 6, I was notifyedthere is an update for this version, downloaded and installed the update.Then opened the product's site and saw there is a new version - 7, on one page it says free editionhere...
  8. Macrium Reflect Disaster

Macrium Reflect Disaster: W10 Pro, 16GB RAM, 480Gb SSD Macrium Reflect Free v. 6.3.1835.0, attempting to image drive C:\. After several hours, image failed to complete. System would not reboot in any way, not from CD/DVD drive, Flash drive etc., Ubuntu.. Data on C and other HD OK. Attempt to...
  9. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........
  10. Macrium Reflect errors.

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect errors.: Okay so I booted up my computer today and looked in the event log and noticed some errors from Macrium Reflect . Event ID 7000. The MacriumService service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely...