Windows 10: Testing out System Recovery with Bitlocker

Discus and support Testing out System Recovery with Bitlocker in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I was originally told that with Bitlocker, unlike other third party encryptions, you can still restore from a recovery point. However, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jessica Hossfeld, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Testing out System Recovery with Bitlocker

Hello,

I was originally told that with Bitlocker, unlike other third party encryptions, you can still restore from a recovery point. However, I created a recovery point while logged into the OS and tried to restore it while logged into the OS. The system then rebooted, attempted the restore, then failed. I then tried booting into system restore, entered my recovery key and was told that I had no recovery points, I'm guessing because I created recovery points while the drive was still encrypted.

So my questions are:

1. Do I have to decrypt the drive everytime I want to create a recoverable restore point?

2. If no, how do I create a recoverable restore point?

3. If yes, what is the most efficient way to decrypt first and does that also mean I always have to boot into system restore with my recovery key to go back to the restore point?

:)

Jessica Hossfeld, Jan 25, 2019

2. recovery bitlocker blue screen

Hi Rick,

Please follow the suggestions below and check if you are able to boot to your desktop.

• Places to look for your BitLocker key:
      • On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.
      • Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive into your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.
      • In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
        BitLocker Recovery Keys.

• Or ask someone for help:
      • Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.
      • If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key

Hope this helps in resolving the bitlocker recovery keys. Keep us posted on the bitlocker recovery key issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Jan 25, 2019
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Ernie San Win User

Testing out System Recovery with Bitlocker

Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Testing out System Recovery with Bitlocker

1. Testing out System Recovery with Bitlocker - Similar Threads - Testing System Recovery

2. How to get out of bitlocker recovery screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get out of bitlocker recovery screen: I have searched online for hours and every tutorial or fix to getting out of the bitlocker recovery screen has had the option to skip drive when pressing escape but i dont get the option please help me fix this if there is a way...
  3. How to get out of bitlocker recovery screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get out of bitlocker recovery screen: I have searched online for hours and every tutorial or fix to getting out of the bitlocker recovery screen has had the option to skip drive when pressing escape but i dont get the option please help me fix this if there is a way...
  4. Bitlocker recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker recovery: I got my Lenovo Thinkpad repaired and when Lenovo sent it back it had this Bitlocker encryption on it which was not there before, so I'm completely locked out of my computer. There's no recovery key associated with any microsoft account I use. Lenovo Technical Support were...
  5. Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key: I have been using my laptop for 18 months, and suddenly this morning I was unable to log in. Instead I have a message asking for my BitLocker recovery key "because your laptop's configuration has changed. This may have happened because a disk or USB has been inserted"I have...
  6. test recovery drive

test recovery drive: I just created a Recovery Drive on a USB Flash Drive for my Windows 10 Pro laptop. How can I test whether the recovery drive is functional, without messing up the existing OS , files, and applications? Thanks....
  7. Locked out of Windows through BitLocker Recovery

Locked out of Windows through BitLocker Recovery: Hello, Today my Windows surface bitlocker popped up. I did not prompt it, I have never seen it. I tried to reset/move past it/boot into window 10 several times, but none of that worked. Eventually I looked up the 48 digit key and I have input it several times on both...
  8. Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery

Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery: I recently sent in my 2018 Dell Inspiron laptop w/ Windows 10 to have its motherboard replaced by Dell with OEM parts, so I paid a little extra. I did this because I was not able to power it on due to a probable short. And because I was not able to power the laptop on before...
  9. Bitlocker recovery key /way out to get recovery's key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker recovery key /way out to get recovery's key: I have dell inspiron, i had replaced Motherboard with new one, but after replaced, window started asking for bitlocker recovery key , i havnot set bitlocker im my device. I have tried Microsoft account, key is not there, Is there any way to get this or i have some important...
  10. Locked out of system via Bitlocker, can't reset

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked out of system via Bitlocker, can't reset: Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this. Full disclosure straight away: I've had this issue dumped on me by my mother and she's not been particularly forthcoming with details (she's old, bless her), so bear with me. She has a Linx1020 tablet which has...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. testing a hd that has bitlocker turned on