Windows 10: Text extremely blurry on monitor

Discus and support Text extremely blurry on monitor in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I just got a 1920x1080 monitor for my 3840x2400 laptop. I have them both set to the recommended resolutions (the ones listed above), and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tails618, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Text extremely blurry on monitor

Text extremely blurry on monitor xJRb6cDV9sSwOfpOre3KI-2TYjZO-zpVDPj0XACjF5Q.jpg

I just got a 1920x1080 monitor for my 3840x2400 laptop. I have them both set to the recommended resolutions (the ones listed above), and the recommended scaling (100% for the monitor, 300% for the laptop.) All the text on the laptop is extremely crisp, but the text on the monitor is horribly blurry. Here are some pictures:

Monitor

Laptop

I have found when I zoom into word, or raise my scaling, it gets slightly better. However, the amount I would have to do it is impractical, as all display elements would be huge. Is there any way to fix this?

submitted by /u/tails618
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tails618, Jul 10, 2020
  2. Seally Win User

Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup

This is probably the most painful issue I have with Windows 10 right now (and likely previous versions as well, but I didn't have a multi-monitor setup back then).

The monitors I have are as follows:
    1. 3840x2160 (4K UHD) monitor with preferred DPI: 144 (150%)
    2. 1920x1080 (Full HD) monitor with preferred DPI: 96 (100%)

Whenever one of these monitors are set as primary, all desktop applications displayed on the secondary monitor (doesn't matter which) has blurry text. Exceptions are the Windows Store Apps like Windows Store and Microsoft Edge, along with the Taskbar/Start Menu, the Taskbar/Start Menu settings screen, the Taskbar context menu, and the desktop context menu which passes the DPI test with flying colours, with crispy text on both monitors (occasionally a DPI switch bug gets in, but I can mostly ignore that). The problem is, as you can probably guess, is that >99% of the applications I use aren't Windows Store Apps.

Here are some screenshots. The "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" text is what the text should look like while the Visual Studio 2015 text is an example of the text most desktop apps get. The blurry image is what happens when the UHD monitor is not the primary monitor.
    Attachment 48493Attachment 48494
    Note: Both of these screenshots came from the 150% DPI monitor so it's best viewed at that (144) DPI level. The 96 DPI monitor is similarly affected.

Things I've already tried:
    • Reinstall the graphics driver (this was unhelpfully given by a Microsoft Support Engineer). Did this multiple times in fact for unrelated reasons.
    • Reinstall Windows 10 (through Reset This PC recovery option). I did this for also unrelated reasons but it definitely doesn't fix this issue.
    • Use the XP Explorer "fix". Merely worsens the problem.
    • Adjusting ClearType options. Alleviates the issue a bit but see next point.
    • Disabling ClearType on the affected monitor. The text obviously sharpens, but it's painful to read and a close inspection of the text reveals the issue isn't solved at all, only mitigated slightly.
    • Replacing the video card. I swapped this in with my older GTX 560 Ti but it's obvious the problem remains. Both it and my current card are NVIDIAs though, so it's vaguely possible the drivers or the cards themselves are the cause. I don't have an ATI/AMD card (that still works, at least) to test the setup and every Intel iGPU I have either has only one monitor output or is incapable of handling UHD resolutions.

Things I won't try:
    • Setting both monitors' DPI to 96. Text would become microscopic considering the UHD monitor's actual size.
    • Use the text resizing feature instead. I'm going take a wild guess that this is not monitor-specific and would cause everything on the HD monitor to be far too large to the point that I'd rather unplug it.

Does anyone have a multi-resolution, multi-DPI, multi-monitor setup with or without this issue? The text is painful to read on whichever is the secondary monitor right now, and is extremely apparent whenever the background is dark.

Seally, Jul 10, 2020
  3. captncaps Win User
    Blurry text

I got Windows 10 with OS Build 10586.164. Blurry text issue exists. Confirmed in Chrome, Firefox, Office 2016. Does not seem to exist in Windows Explorer.

Main monitor: 3840x2160 @125%.
    Second monitor: 2560x1600 @100%.

Blurry text occurs on the second monitor. If I set the second monitor to 125% text looks good.

Is the fix (you said it's fixed) from 10576 not included in 10586.164?

captncaps, Jul 10, 2020
  4. PKE
    pke Win User

Text extremely blurry on monitor

Blurry text

Different scaling levels on monitors causing blurry text seems to be exactly the problem. When I switch both monitors to the same scaling it looks good. 4k on 15inch at 125% is not really usable so I actually lowered resolution to full hd to keep both laptop and external monitor at 125%. Would be nice to have a real fix for that though...

Thema:

Text extremely blurry on monitor

1. Text extremely blurry on monitor - Similar Threads - Text extremely blurry

2. Text on external Monitor is blurry, distorted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text on external Monitor is blurry, distorted: Hi guys : I have a problem with my external Monitor asus vg24vqe that is connected to my laptop Asus 5 Nitro with HDMI 2.0 cable.On my main screen/laptop everything is perfect , sharp text and amazing quality. But on the external monitor text looks very weird , blurry ,...
  3. Text on external Monitor is blurry, distorted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text on external Monitor is blurry, distorted: Hi guys : I have a problem with my external Monitor asus vg24vqe that is connected to my laptop Asus 5 Nitro with HDMI 2.0 cable.On my main screen/laptop everything is perfect , sharp text and amazing quality. But on the external monitor text looks very weird , blurry ,...
  4. blurry text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blurry text: Bonjour,when I put scale at 115%in settings system>screen, a lot of text becomes to be blurry.. Here are 3 screenshots. With windows 10 I didn't have this problem.How could i fix that please? My graphic card is a nvidia rtx 2060. thanks...
  5. blurry text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    blurry text: Bonjour,when I put scale at 115%in settings system>screen, a lot of text becomes to be blurry.. Here are 3 screenshots. With windows 10 I didn't have this problem.How could i fix that please? My graphic card is a nvidia rtx 2060. thanks...
  6. Blurry text

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blurry text: HiAMD Ryzen 5 5600u intergrated graphicsI have a lenovo ideapad 5 pro and when i run some programs, the text appears to be blurry and some other programs does not have this problem. i've set all my display scaling and resolution to windows recommended and it still does not...
  7. Blurry text

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blurry text: When I am opening some third-party apps and some inbuilt settings, I am seeing blurry text like a person without his spectacles would see. Can anybody help me with this problem. I am currently using a Lenovo Ideapad slim 3. Also I am facing this problem only at few places....
  8. 4K Monitor Blurry Text

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    4K Monitor Blurry Text: Sorry Mods this is a dup post that I have in graphics cards. This is where I meant it to be. Hello all and thank you in advance. Really need some help here. I have a Dell 2 in one laptop running windows 10 with graphics card below. I have two 4k monitors hooked up but the...
  9. Gaming monitor blurry text - sort of - text shadowed behind

in Windows 10 Support
    Gaming monitor blurry text - sort of - text shadowed behind: Hi all, Just bought my first PC in a decade, and I find in some applications or menus the text is distractingly fuzzy. I have a gaming monitor, set my display to 144 hz - please bear in mind I hardly have any idea what I'm doing - and am using a DCI-D cable. It looks to...
  10. Blurry text

in Windows 10 Support
    Blurry text: Hello everyone *Smile I’m running the latest, leaked, Windows 10 10147 build and everything works fine on my system. There is one thing though I have observed since the beginning, meaning in earlier builds, as well. And that is blurry text on some Windows components like...