Windows 10: Text files changed back to different prior saves twice after edit

Discus and support Text files changed back to different prior saves twice after edit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everyone, Since just over 2 moths I'm using Windows 10 and something really weird happened the other day I've never seen before in any Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LP147, Jun 10, 2019.

1. LP147 Win User

Text files changed back to different prior saves twice after edit

Hey everyone,

Since just over 2 moths I'm using Windows 10 and something really weird happened the other day I've never seen before in any Windows version.

I have this txt file on my desktop plus a backup of it and I added some text in that file with Notepad, saved it and made a backup.
    A week later when I opened the file the added text wasn't there (pc had been turned off and in sleep mode during that week). The file was back to the state before I saved it, just as the backup.
    So I added the text again and added some extra text and saved it and made a backup. Then put my pc to sleep mode.
    When I woke up my pc a few hours later and opened the file, the file was the way after the first time I added some text.

To clarify a bit more, if needed:
    Original text was A. Edited text to AB and saved.
    Opened file after week and text was A. Edited text to ABC and saved.
    Opened file after few hours sleep mode and text was AB.
    Same happened to backup file.

I'd like to know what happened here. I'm afraid it will happen again, also with other files. Anyone any ideas?

:)

LP147, Jun 10, 2019
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jun 10, 2019
  4. Text files changed back to different prior saves twice after edit

Why are my files saving to two different folder paths?

Hi Jess,

Additional information will help us to verify the cause of this issue. Please answer the questions below:

• Which app or program are you using when saving the file? Are you using Microsoft Office?
    • Have you made any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Janeane Cru, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

Text files changed back to different prior saves twice after edit

1. Text files changed back to different prior saves twice after edit - Similar Threads - Text files changed

2. Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...: When I print a page with "Save as PDF", it will create a file PDF and I can edit text with "Foxit PhantomPDF". But when I print with "Microsoft Print to PDF", The newly created file can't edit the text. Can anyone explain?...
  3. Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...: When I print a page with "Save as PDF", it will create a file PDF and I can edit text with "Foxit PhantomPDF". But when I print with "Microsoft Print to PDF", The newly created file can't edit the text. Can anyone explain?...
  4. Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will Not Let me Save Back to Inetpub folder after Kompozer Edit.

in Windows 10 Support
    Will Not Let me Save Back to Inetpub folder after Kompozer Edit.: What is Windows doing to me now? I come after a long, long time away to use my Inetpub folder and pick up a file and edit it wish Kompozer and go to save and it won't let me. No permission. I am admin. Admin has all permissions. I did think of one thing: I don't think...
  6. Editing and saving the Hosts file...

Editing and saving the Hosts file...: PS i need help... I am able to edit the hosts file in "etc" folder but when i save it wants to replace the hosts file and save the file as a notepad document. I had ownership before, but i removed it hoping that will solve the issue but it didn't. What is worse is that i...
  7. .text file back to vtt file

.text file back to vtt file: Hi, I accidently open an vtt file type to open with Notepad and tick the check box "Always use this app to open .vtt files" and all the vtt files changed to text file. I need to set it back as an vtt file for it to run subtitle with the VLC Media Player. Any suggestions?...
  8. SAVE TEXT FILE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SAVE TEXT FILE: HOW DO I SAVE A NEW TEXT FILE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/save-text-file/01f023b9-60d7-41a5-8f09-5291aae54c07
  9. Editing and Saving Office Files

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Editing and Saving Office Files: Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am unable to open an existing Office file, edit and save it. I get popup messages saying that I don't have administrator permissions. I am logged in as administrator. Also, I'm told that the files are Read Only, yet when I check the file...
  10. BLUETOOTH, where are files prior to save to folder etc

in Windows 10 Support
    BLUETOOTH, where are files prior to save to folder etc: hi i transfer img files from android via bt to pc, after all have been transferred, win10 asks in which folder they must be saved - this is the easy part. if there is a transmission error on say img 200 out of 250, bt freezes and i have to redo the whole process and i can't...