Windows 10: Text/icons disappear inside a Virtual Machine?

Discus and support Text/icons disappear inside a Virtual Machine? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Cantersoft [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Cantersoft, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Text/icons disappear inside a Virtual Machine?

/u/Cantersoft, Feb 19, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

3. BulldogXX Win User
    insider programs on a virtual machine

Not only is it possible, it's a great idea.

That's exactly what I do. My Insider's builds of Windows 10 run in a virtual machine. The thing to remember is that as far as Windows activation is concerned, a virtual machine is just like another computer, so you are supposed to get a license for the VM.
    I wouldn't worry about, because this is not going to be your 'real' copy of Windows 10.

BulldogXX, Feb 19, 2020
  4. S_and_S Win User

Text/icons disappear inside a Virtual Machine?

Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Feb 19, 2020
Thema:

Text/icons disappear inside a Virtual Machine?

1. Text/icons disappear inside a Virtual Machine? - Similar Threads - Text icons disappear

2. Disappearing shadow under icon text.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing shadow under icon text.: On Windows Server 2019, after setting a white wallpaper, I have a problem with shadows under the icon text. When hovering the mouse cursor the shadow disappears. The icon text stays white and is invisible. I have several RDS servers clones and the problem is random not on...
  3. Disappearing shadow under icon text.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disappearing shadow under icon text.: On Windows Server 2019, after setting a white wallpaper, I have a problem with shadows under the icon text. When hovering the mouse cursor the shadow disappears. The icon text stays white and is invisible. I have several RDS servers clones and the problem is random not on...
  4. Running Linux with a virtual machine inside Windows 10 machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running Linux with a virtual machine inside Windows 10 machine: Hi and question: If I run a virtual machine inside my windows 10 machine, does all the telemetry, keystroke logging, etc. still happen while inside the VM? Example: If I run Linux Mint in a VM with Windows 10 as the host computer, does Windows (Microsoft) get all the...
  5. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: So, I'm here to ask if using Windows in a VM virtual Machine Legal? Its cause I am not getting accurate answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/c2e9e1fa-15e4-4532-9864-d114aa139b86
  6. Windows 10 inside a local virtual machine license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 inside a local virtual machine license: I want to install windows 10 in a virtual box virtual machine on my laptop, that runs Windows 10 pro. I need another Windows installation because I need a closed environment for a project at work. Can I do this, and what kind of license do I need for this Windows 10 pro that...
  7. How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine?

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine?: This is how my main pc is activated: [ATTACH] Whenever I do a clean install it already self-activates to the Windows 10 home version and later, I use my Windows 8 Pro serial key to upgrade the Pro version. To experiment with some insider builds I've created a virtual...
  8. virtual machines

virtual machines: I have windows 10 pro as my main os and i want a copy of the same os so i can play around with the system configurations without harming my main os. How can i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machines/8896c12f-46cf-4120-a190-fb287326fdf3
  9. virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...
  10. Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.: I decided (more out of academic interest than need) that I would setup windows 10586 in a vm on VMWARE, and also Insider version. Problem was I could not find anyway of doing this. You could install first version, but how to install second version, as you automatically...