Windows 10: Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good.

Discus and support Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I'm having a little issue with the font size. The label under the icons on my desktop, any text in my file explorer, and tabs on google chrome are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Miekel Fam, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good.

Hi I'm having a little issue with the font size. The label under the icons on my desktop, any text in my file explorer, and tabs on google chrome are super tiny. The font size for other apps are fine, it's just these apps so far that have this issue. I like the scaling, so I don't want to change that. Here are some pictures.

Here in my desktop, you can see the size of the icon lables vs the text in the search bar. The search bar looks like a good size.

Below the desktop is a screenshot of google chrome, and again you can see the difference of the tab and bookmark font size vs the search bar font size

Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good. [​IMG]Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good. [​IMG]

:)

Miekel Fam, Mar 12, 2020

2. Text font in apps on Windows 10 OS ridiculously small

Hi,

I tried changing the custom scaling to 150% and it pretty much just rendered my entire desktop's text sizes and such a little too small as well (I have attached a picture below).

Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good. [​IMG]

Around 200%-250% scaling would be good for my desktop, but even adjusting the scaling to 300% does not help much with increasing the font sizes and such in apps.

It seems like adjusting the dpi scaling levels on Windows 10 can't really do much though.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Regards

Crystal Goh, Mar 12, 2020
  3. joehara23 Win User
    Windows 10: Too Blurry at 150% Scaling (recommended), Too Small at 100% scaling

I have a laptop with a 14 inch screen and 1920x1080 Resolution.

The recommended scaling is 150% by default

Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good. 3af89035-451b-4fb3-882a-8235daea4fbb.png

This makes the desktop icons and taskbar icons look a good size, but apps like "Steam" "rainmeter" and many dialogue boxes have blurry pixel-y texts.

at 100% size, this all goes away, but everything is far too small to use on a 14 inch screen.

Steps I have tried

1. Updating display drivers, both nvidia and intel graphics drivers

2. detecting hardware changes

3. setting up clear text font

4. Disabling Cleartext font (then resetting it to be normal)

5. Setting custom scaling level. (then resetting it after it didnt work.)

6. DISABLING DPI SCALING ON APPS:

--This makes it so an individual app will run at 100% scaling, making it clear, but THEN IT BECOMES TOO SMALL.

example: normal sized steam:

http://i.imgur.com/jv07LYg.png

Dpi Disabled steam:

http://i.imgur.com/enXuDKj.png

This option is not acceptable, as i want the full size readability of steam with the clearness of smaller steam

This is the case with many apps, where the text and window in general look "Blurry" or "Fuzzy," so i wouldnt be able to change each apps scaling, that would take a large amount of effort. but i dont want to disable dpi scaling anyway, since the laptop screen
    is 14 inches (lenovo flex 3), window size needs to be large.

sidenote: i hada laptop with 15.6 inch screen and 1366x768 resolution, that screen did NOT have an issue, as it was able to be set to 100% scaling, the default scaling for it, and not lose size.

How can i fix this, or can microsoft eventually make an update for this? cause i know im not the only one

Thanks!

joehara23, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Beraphim Win User

Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good.

Windowed 8.1 apps text is too small / UI elements not scaling properly

This is a problem I've been having since the Technical previews and I have only seen a couple of threads here discussing this issue.

I use windows with 100% scaling (the default) and while universal apps (such as the default ones) appear all great and scale nicely, I've found that windows 8.1 apps look much worse. I later found my mom opening the health and fitness (an 8.1 modern app)
    app on her small lenovo yoga computer (which is set to 125% scaling since the display is so small) and the text look VERY tiny. It was basically unreadable. in addition, UI elements, especially those that are wireframe icons, look pixelated and distorted,
    as if there was some bad downscaling going on. On this very same laptop, universal apps such as the news and weather app look completely fine and scale correctly.

So I wanted to check it out myself on my laptop and show what the problem is. I have all the updates installed, windows 10 pro. Note that this ONLY happens with ALL 8.1 apps.

Here's the All recipes app at 100% (default) scaling option

Here it is at 125% scaling. Notice how everything actually got smaller! Now the text is nearly unreadable. If this were a high DPI screen, the app would be unuseable.

Here it is at 130% scaling (custom scaling). Notice how now every element got bigger, even bigger than how it was at 100%!

So it's pretty clear there's a nasty bug with how windows 10 scales windows 8.1 apps. I've only found

this other thread
    with the same issue (and is where I got the idea of trying 130% custom scaling). So far I haven't found any solutions to this problem, and neither have I seen many others comment on this issue. Not sure if this is happening to everyone
    or not, but it's happening on my laptop, my main PC, my mother's laptop and my brother's laptop.

Any help or acknowledgement that this might be a bug that will get fixed would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beraphim, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good.

1. Text is too small for some apps, but scaling is good. - Similar Threads - Text too small

2. Text too small in some parts of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text too small in some parts of Windows: Hello! I have recently got an 14 inch Asus laptop. I found the text too small for my vision, so I modified some settings to make it bigger. The problem is it does not increase in all parts of Windows. I attach photos with my settings sorry for the foreign language, hope you...
  3. Text too small in some parts of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text too small in some parts of Windows: Hello! I have recently got an 14 inch Asus laptop. I found the text too small for my vision, so I modified some settings to make it bigger. The problem is it does not increase in all parts of Windows. I attach photos with my settings sorry for the foreign language, hope you...
  4. Text is too small for some apps, scale is good, reseting driver does not fix. [Solution]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text is too small for some apps, scale is good, reseting driver does not fix. [Solution]: Hi! This seems to be a common issue which has plagued me days from Windows 10 and now on Windows 11. I just found a way to fix it and doing it for folks in the future who encounter the same issue. The issue is defined...
  5. Text is too small for some apps, scale is good, reseting driver does not fix. [Solution]

Text is too small for some apps, scale is good, reseting driver does not fix. [Solution]: Hi! This seems to be a common issue which has plagued me days from Windows 10 and now on Windows 11. I just found a way to fix it and doing it for folks in the future who encounter the same issue. The issue is defined...
  6. Text is still too small for some apps, but scaling is good.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text is still too small for some apps, but scaling is good.: The issues was reported before, but the thread was closed: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-is-too-small-for-some-apps-but-scaling-is/27929f41-86dc-485b-9856-90f3171cf8d6On one Surface machine this happens every few days when waking up from sleep....
  7. Text is still too small for some apps, but scaling is good.

Text is still too small for some apps, but scaling is good.: The issues was reported before, but the thread was closed: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-is-too-small-for-some-apps-but-scaling-is/27929f41-86dc-485b-9856-90f3171cf8d6On one Surface machine this happens every few days when waking up from sleep....
  8. Text is still too small for some apps, but scaling is good.

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Some apps have text appear too small (unreadable) and some apps have text appear too big

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some apps have text appear too small (unreadable) and some apps have text appear too big: Hello, I'm having a problem with some apps where they appear with text with varying sizes, making work very hard or impossible. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I have messed with a lot of things on the display options, as well as compatibility issues but I can't solve this question,...
  10. Some windows sizes and text are too small

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some windows sizes and text are too small: Ever since I received my new Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 Pro, I've had occasional annoying issues with some windows sizes and text being extremely small. I spent weeks trying to resolve the issue with no luck. I've also read a few issues like this from other users who...