Windows 10: Text selection followed by right cursor - changed behaviour in 1809

Discus and support Text selection followed by right cursor - changed behaviour in 1809 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We've got a preview build of 1809 running on a test machine, some macros are failing because of a change of behaviour in text editing. All our existing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by craker, Oct 3, 2018.

1. craker Win User

Text selection followed by right cursor - changed behaviour in 1809

We've got a preview build of 1809 running on a test machine, some macros are failing because of a change of behaviour in text editing. All our existing machines exhibit this behaviour -

Text Selection (selection is indicated in red)

Now press the right cursor key

The cursor is now flashing on the character to the right of the selection - between the c and t

Text Selec tion

Now in our preview machines (we've got two of them) the cursor moves to the immediate right of the selection, between the e and c

Text Sele ction

Do you follow? It may seem trivial but it's breaking some of our macros - and will do the same for our customers' macros too.

Is there a registry setting that control this behaviour?

Thanks for looking!

:)

craker, Oct 3, 2018
  2. shuggans Win User

vb.net select text from active cursor point in different window

hello all - working on a dictation application and looking for some guidance as far as selecting text from a cursor point in a window outside of the applications form. I'll clarify a bit: The application types at the current cursor point using sendkeys() as you speak.. and I'm trying to handle commands such as "select word" which should select the word to the right of the current cursor point. I know how to handle selecting text within an application, but am looking to be pointed in the right direction for information on selecting text from say microsoft word etc. but keep in mind the goal for the application is to be universal for use within any EMR, word processor, web browser etc.

Thanks for any assistance!

shuggans

shuggans, Oct 3, 2018
  3. keimba Win User
    Text selection is one character to the right of the cursor location

The location of my cursor on screen doesn't line up with the location in text where the cursor is inserted. The actual insertion point is about one character to the right of the location of the cursor. For example if I click between the c and u in "cursor"
    and drag to the right, I end up selecting only "rsor."

Just started happening today. Not aware any major changes to my system. Restarting does not resolve. I've tested in Word, Word Pad, web pages, and Excel. The behavior is consistent.

My system is Windows 10 on a dell 7000 series inspiron with external monitors and a wireless Microsoft Comfort 5050 mouse and keyboard.

keimba, Oct 3, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Vertical lines behind text cursor. HELP!

Hi,

It is possible that the vertical lines behind text cursor that you see, is can be due to corruptions. To better isolate your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• Is there a way for you to provide us a screenshot?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the Meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article by clicking on this

link
    . It will let you scan for corruptions and restore corrupted files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Text selection followed by right cursor - changed behaviour in 1809 - Similar Threads - Text selection followed

2. Read aloud Selected Text

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read aloud Selected Text: On MAC, I am used to selecting a piece of text and pressing a combination of buttons to read it aloud. It is very convenient and helps me with reading and learning faster because reading and listening at the same time improve learning efficiency. On Windows 10, It is...
  3. Text selection option in Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text selection option in Windows: Hello, I want to know that if there is any option of text selection in windows 10 like that option in google photoes app, so can i can copy or translate the text written in the photoes i have. If yes, the how can i do so?...
  4. automatically copy selected text

in Windows 10 Customization
    automatically copy selected text: Hello, I'm wondering if there is a way to automatically copy text selected with the mouse. This works on PowerShell but I would like to use it system wide. This is the way the mouse works in X-windows. Maybe there is a way to script this behavior?...
  5. Text selection is one character to the right of the cursor location

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Text selection is one character to the right of the cursor location: The location of my cursor on screen doesn't line up with the location in text where the cursor is inserted. The actual insertion point is about one character to the right of the location of the cursor. For example if I click between the c and u in "cursor" and drag to the...
  6. Changing colour of selected text in Microsoft Sticky Notes app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing colour of selected text in Microsoft Sticky Notes app.: I am looking at the MS Sticky Notes app as a replacement for 3M Post-It Notes app which is giving me trouble at the moment. What I would like to do in Sticky Notes is to change the colour of various selected pieces of text (which you can do in Post-It Notes). I have found...
  7. Strange mouse cursor behaviour.

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange mouse cursor behaviour.: When I hover the cursor over any folder which is not on the desktop, the blue circle flashes on and off a couple of times. When I close the folder it also flashes. This started happening a few days ago, but I can't relate it to anything I did.What can be causing this? 97651
  8. Which registry key controls the right click options for selected text

in Windows 10 Support
    Which registry key controls the right click options for selected text: In almost any file that contains text such as notepad, or any windows 'box' where typing is allowed, when you select some or all of the text displayed by highlighting it, the right click menu offered for the selected text contains things like 'Open IME' or 'Right to left...
  9. Drag selection cursor jumps down right after 1709 16922 update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag selection cursor jumps down right after 1709 16922 update.: After the latest update. When I try to drag select files in a folder that has scroll bar, as soon as I click Ctrl + cursor drag. My mouse jumps instantly to the down right corner of the screen, selecting everything in the folder. If you didn't understand what I mean and...
  10. Cursor selecting everything on the page

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor selecting everything on the page: I have an Acer ES1-512 with a cursor that won't stop selecting everything on the screen. This is making the computer unusable. So far I have - reinstalled Windows, tested three different mouses, tested mouses with the trackpad disabled, turned off all accessibility...