Windows 10: Text selection followed by right cursor - changed behaviour in 1809

Discus and support Text selection followed by right cursor - changed behaviour in 1809 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We've got a preview build of 1809 running on a test machine, some macros are failing because of a change of behaviour in text editing. All our existing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by craker, Oct 3, 2018.

1. craker Win User

Text selection followed by right cursor - changed behaviour in 1809

We've got a preview build of 1809 running on a test machine, some macros are failing because of a change of behaviour in text editing. All our existing machines exhibit this behaviour -

Text Selection (selection is indicated in red)

Now press the right cursor key

The cursor is now flashing on the character to the right of the selection - between the c and t

Text Selec tion

Now in our preview machines (we've got two of them) the cursor moves to the immediate right of the selection, between the e and c

Text Sele ction

Do you follow? It may seem trivial but it's breaking some of our macros - and will do the same for our customers' macros too.

Is there a registry setting that control this behaviour?

Thanks for looking!

:)

craker, Oct 3, 2018
  2. shuggans Win User

vb.net select text from active cursor point in different window

hello all - working on a dictation application and looking for some guidance as far as selecting text from a cursor point in a window outside of the applications form. I'll clarify a bit: The application types at the current cursor point using sendkeys() as you speak.. and I'm trying to handle commands such as "select word" which should select the word to the right of the current cursor point. I know how to handle selecting text within an application, but am looking to be pointed in the right direction for information on selecting text from say microsoft word etc. but keep in mind the goal for the application is to be universal for use within any EMR, word processor, web browser etc.

Thanks for any assistance!

shuggans

shuggans, Oct 3, 2018
  3. keimba Win User
    Text selection is one character to the right of the cursor location

The location of my cursor on screen doesn't line up with the location in text where the cursor is inserted. The actual insertion point is about one character to the right of the location of the cursor. For example if I click between the c and u in "cursor"
    and drag to the right, I end up selecting only "rsor."

Just started happening today. Not aware any major changes to my system. Restarting does not resolve. I've tested in Word, Word Pad, web pages, and Excel. The behavior is consistent.

My system is Windows 10 on a dell 7000 series inspiron with external monitors and a wireless Microsoft Comfort 5050 mouse and keyboard.

keimba, Oct 3, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Vertical lines behind text cursor. HELP!

Hi,

It is possible that the vertical lines behind text cursor that you see, is can be due to corruptions. To better isolate your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• Is there a way for you to provide us a screenshot?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the Meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article by clicking on this

link
    . It will let you scan for corruptions and restore corrupted files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Text selection followed by right cursor - changed behaviour in 1809 - Similar Threads - Text selection followed

2. Text select cursor is not showing up on its true position.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text select cursor is not showing up on its true position.: My normal cursor works fine and clicks where its supposed to click. But at the moment my cursor changes to the text select cursor, it marks to the upper left of it and i have no clue why, tried driver updating, checked if it hat something to do with the image file of the...
  3. Text select cursor is not showing up on its true position.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Text select cursor is not showing up on its true position.: My normal cursor works fine and clicks where its supposed to click. But at the moment my cursor changes to the text select cursor, it marks to the upper left of it and i have no clue why, tried driver updating, checked if it hat something to do with the image file of the...
  4. Text select cursor is not showing up on its true position.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself: I am in Dark Mode. Windows 11. I want to make the Selected Text Highlighter black again. Like older versions of Windows. I am not talking about changing the color of the text itself. I am not talking about changing the color of the curser. I am talking about changing the...
  6. Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself: I am in Dark Mode. Windows 11. I want to make the Selected Text Highlighter black again. Like older versions of Windows. I am not talking about changing the color of the text itself. I am not talking about changing the color of the curser. I am talking about changing the...
  7. Cursor selecting taskbar as if it was text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cursor selecting taskbar as if it was text: Hello, I have encountered a strange problem. When I move to the taskbar, the cursor was an I-beam! This was caused by program crashes. Can you give me a solution to fix it?...
  8. Text selection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text selection: I am running Windows 64 bit on a Lenova Yoga 3. Since the upgrade, I cannot select text. It will highlight, but it won't hold. I am using right click on my mouse. I am also having problems selecting text boxes, likes, etc. Having zero computer skills, it is very...
  9. Text selection is one character to the right of the cursor location

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Text selection is one character to the right of the cursor location: The location of my cursor on screen doesn't line up with the location in text where the cursor is inserted. The actual insertion point is about one character to the right of the location of the cursor. For example if I click between the c and u in "cursor" and drag to the...
  10. Strange mouse cursor behaviour.

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange mouse cursor behaviour.: When I hover the cursor over any folder which is not on the desktop, the blue circle flashes on and off a couple of times. When I close the folder it also flashes. This started happening a few days ago, but I can't relate it to anything I did.What can be causing this? 97651