Windows 10: Text-To-Speech voices not installing properly

Discus and support Text-To-Speech voices not installing properly in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As part of a development project, I downloaded/installed some new TTS files: English-Australia Voices: James/Catherine, English-Great Britain Voices:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ErnestParker, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Text-To-Speech voices not installing properly

As part of a development project, I downloaded/installed some new TTS files: English-Australia Voices: James/Catherine, English-Great Britain Voices: George/Hazel/Susan & English-Ireland Voices: Sean. All voices worked properly after installation using the "Preview Voice" button In Settings ==> Time & Language ==> Speech. HOWEVER, when I tried to access the voices using .NET, the only voice that was recognized was Great Britain-Hazel. NONE of the other additions could be accessed.

I started looking into the Registry and found the following:

• Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Voices\Tokens contained:
      • MSTTS_V110_enAU_CatherineM
      • MSTTS_V110_enAU_JamesM
      • MSTTS_V110_enGB_GeorgeM
      • MSTTS_V110_enGB_HazelM
      • MSTTS_V110_enGB_SusanM
      • MSTTS_V110_enIE_SeanM
      • MSTTS_V110_enUS_DavidM
      • MSTTS_V110_enUS_MarkM
      • MSTTS_V110_enUS_ZiraM
    • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\SPEECH\Voices\Tokens contained:
      • TTS_MS_EN-GB_HAZEL_11.0
      • TTS_MS_EN-US_DAVID_11.0
      • TTS_MS_EN-US_ZIRA_11.0

The above is the 64-bit tree; the 32-bit tree showed the exact same items. I found it interesting that even enUS_Mark was not properly installed, and that voice package came with the initial installation of Win 10 Pro. FYI, I'm now running the latest version 20H2.

As an experiment, I used RegEdit to manually enter the necessary token/attributes for enAU_Catherine in both the 32- & 64-bit trees. After that, I was able to access Catherine via .NET.

Is anybody else seeing this behavior? My guess is that whoever created/tested these voice packages tested them using the "Preview Voice" button, but not did NOT test the functionality using .NET. NOTE: my testing was done with .NET Framework, not .NET Core.

--Ernie

:)

ErnestParker, Feb 13, 2021
  2. enrix Win User

word 2010 text to speech cannot change voice

Hello

I have enabled text to speech on Windows 10 and have selected MS David desktop voice and it seems to work fine when I test it however when I use text to speech on Word 2010 the voice is always that of MS Hazel desktop and I do not seem to be able to change it. Any suggestion?

Many thanks,

enrix, Feb 13, 2021
  3. grecinos Win User
    How do you change the text to speech voice in a (Windows) vbscript?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create a text to speech vbscript. The problem I'm having is that I can only select between 3 voices. I have 8 available in Windows 10.

Here is my code:

Code: set voice = CreateObject("SAPI.SpVoice") set voice.Voice = voice.GetVoices.Item(1) voice.Rate = 1 voice.Volume = 90 voice.Speak TextMessage[/quote] I get a vbs error message when I choose a number greater than 2 for the voice.GetVoices.Item(1) parameter.

Error: 0x80045039
    Code: 80045039
    Source: (null)

Any suggestions?

TIA,

grecinos

grecinos, Feb 13, 2021
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Text-To-Speech voices not installing properly

No Sound in Narrator or any other Text-to-speech Apps

Hi Andy,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• What is the make and model of the machine?
    • Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

This seems like an issue with the audio drivers. You may install the latest audio drivers and check if it works. Refer
    Check Device Manager section under Fix sound problems in Windows 10
    to know more about the same.

If the issue persists after updating drivers, continue reading.

Since you do not hear speech after testing the system, consider the following:

• The speaker volume is not turned up or is muted. Some speakers have external controls for volume and muting. Make sure the volume is turned up sufficiently or that muting is off.
    • The speakers may not be selected as the current output device. On the Text-to-Speech tab, click Audio Output to make sure that the speakers are selected.
    • The speakers might not be connected properly. Consult the speaker hardware documentation for additional information. Make certain that the sound card for the computer is also properly seated and installed, and that the correct drivers are available.
    • The Text-to-Speech engine may be corrupted. To test for corruption, switch to another engine. See the
      Changing the TTS voice or engine section to know more about the same. If another engine is working properly, reinstall the specific engine from the original source. If no engine is working properly, reinstall the speech engine from the original
      source.

Change the TTS Voice or Engine:

To change the Text-to-Speech voice or engine, follow these steps:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click
      Speech Recognition.
    • On the Text-to-Speech tab, the name displayed in the
      Voice selection drop-down list is the active voice.
    • Click the active voice inside the drop-down list, or use the arrow to display a list of available voices.
    • Click a new voice to select it.

The newly selected voice speaks the text in Preview Voice box.
    • Click OK or Apply to accept the new voice.

Notes:

• A Text-to-Speech voice is closely associated with a particular speech engine. It may not be clear from the displayed name which language a voice is using. After selecting a speech engine or voice, test the voice and language by clicking
      Preview Voice.
    • The language or voices supported by a speech engine may not be obvious from the engine's displayed name. Refer to the specific user's guide for detailed information about the engine. This includes not only the language supported, but also the lexicon
      purpose. The lexicon purpose indicates whether it is a general grammar or jargon specific to a profession such as legal or medical.
    • Microsoft does not provide additional speech engines (voices), but a number of third-party products are available that support the new Microsoft Speech API. You may use your favorite Search engine and look for information on these
      products.

You may also want to check if the issue persists on a new user profile. Refer
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    for the same.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

Text-To-Speech voices not installing properly

1. Text-To-Speech voices not installing properly - Similar Threads - Text Speech voices

2. Voice style in Text to Speech not active Clipchamp

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Voice style in Text to Speech not active Clipchamp: Clipchamps' Text to Speech works fine with one exception: I cannot activate Voice style.A "no entry" sign appears when I hover over the default General.What could be the reason?Thanks,Louis...
  3. Voice style in Text to Speech not active Clipchamp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Voice style in Text to Speech not active Clipchamp: Clipchamps' Text to Speech works fine with one exception: I cannot activate Voice style.A "no entry" sign appears when I hover over the default General.What could be the reason?Thanks,Louis...
  4. Remove text to speech voice without going to Settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove text to speech voice without going to Settings.: I have a problem. In Settings > Time and Language > Speech, whenever I click on a voice, the remove button is faded and won't let me remove the voice. Is there any other way to do this?...
  5. Text to Speech Not all Voices Appearing

Text to Speech Not all Voices Appearing: I've installed several different voice packages for a variety of languages using the instruction given by Microsoft How to download Text-to-Speech languages for Windows 10 - Office Support microsoft.com All the installed voices are showing up here with their languages, but...
  6. Problem with the Text to Speech voices in Windows 10

in Cortana
    Problem with the Text to Speech voices in Windows 10: Hi, I am running a Windows 10 machine with all current updates installed. From the get go all text-to-speech voices sound very distorted and noisy, high pitched. It is by far not how the usual Windows 10 voices sound. YouTube videos play fine with good sound. Just the...
  7. Windows 10 Text To Speech Voice Offline Installers

Windows 10 Text To Speech Voice Offline Installers: I am looking for a way to install additional TTS voices without internet access. Are there offline installers for the microsoft voices? I need at least Hedda german and Hortense french? Any other Ideas?...
  8. marathi language text to speech and voice recognition

marathi language text to speech and voice recognition: TTS text to speech for Marathi Is it possible to use text to speech for Indian language like Marathi and can we use voice input for the same with windows voice recognition....
  9. Selected Text To Speech voice has no effect

in Windows 10 Support
    Selected Text To Speech voice has no effect: Hi! I use restream chat daily to hear the messages that viewers of my streaming type in Twitch and Youtube. It has the TTS feature activated and the voice David (English/USA) selected. Also in the Windows 10 TTS setup window I have it selected. Everything worked fine until...
  10. Speech to text ... how to install en-US voice pack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speech to text ... how to install en-US voice pack: Hi ... I have software which requires the Microsoft Speech Recognizer ... Win10 comes with en-UK installed but I need en-US ... how do I go about getting it??? 19265

Users found this page by searching for:

1. TTS_MS_EN- JAMES