Windows 10: TH2 pulled, what is the best method to upgrade to 10?

Discus and support TH2 pulled, what is the best method to upgrade to 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey all, So I have a Lenovo x230 laptop sitting here that has W7 Professional installed on it. I just grabbed an 850EVO SSD 250GB for it and I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by heyyahblah, Nov 23, 2015.

1. TH2 pulled, what is the best method to upgrade to 10?

Hey all,

So I have a Lenovo x230 laptop sitting here that has W7 Professional installed on it. I just grabbed an 850EVO SSD 250GB for it and I'm guessing I will have to clone W7 to the SSD to activate my W7 Pro license since it will deactivate once I swap out the HDD's?

My question is, whats the best way to upgrade to W10 TH1 10586 without putting tons of writes on the SSD for no reason by cloning, upgrading and so forth and wasting valuable time in the process.

Can I use my W7 Pro key and install W10 TH1 from a bootable USB stick and just have W10 activated like that or do I have to clone W7 then upgrade to 10240 then finally 10586? I would rather just upgrade all the way.

I never had a chance to download the media creation tool and the only ISO I have on my drive is the official 10240 ISO. I never used the media creation tool from MS because I felt more comfortable with RUFUS instead. Should I just wait until we get more answers from MS and they change their page or should I go looking for a "copy" of the TH1 iso on the web? Trying to figure out the best options, thanks.

:)

heyyahblah, Nov 23, 2015

2. what's the best method to upgrade 60 win-7 to win-10 company devices?

hello.

I have a lot of company computers that are part of our domain, all are purchased and licensed (individually by purchase) computers and want to upgrade them from windows 7 pro - to windows 10 over the next couple of weeks. ideally, i'd like to be able to
    download the appropriate windows 10 image, and share it out on my network somewhere and point the machines to them or possible use multiple USB drives, or DVD's with the data files on them. although all the machines are licensed directly via purchase, and
    they are 'asking' for windows 10 upgrades - I don't necessarily have all the ms workstation license keys (some aren't on the computers) - and don't want to have to worry about fumbling around looking for the keys - after/during the upgrade process.

anybody else have this predicament going on?

thanks,

Mark D Foster, Nov 23, 2015
  3. HairyFool Win User
    what's the best method to upgrade 60 win-7 to win-10 company devices?

You can download a single Windows 10 image and use that to upgrade all the PCs. You do not need to download for each computer.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 use the option to upgrade another computer.

Provided the computers are fully activated you do not need a key. At the point where it askes for one use the I do not have a key option to continue the install and it will activate automatically after setup completes as long as they are connected to the
    internet.

Normally this would be a IT Pro issue but upgrading one is the same process and doing a hundred if you are not using the deployment tools which would be the "preferred" option

Deploy and update Windows 10

HairyFool, Nov 23, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

TH2 pulled, what is the best method to upgrade to 10?

This is what I would do:

1. Use this Media Creation Tool:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...eationTool.exe

to create a Windows 10 build 10586 USB.

2. Use Showkey Plus from this forum to detect installed Windows 7 product key and write it down.

3. Copy gatherosstate.exe from the sources folder of the USB to the desktop running Windows 7 on the HDD. Run it as administrator. Copy the resulting genuineticket.xml to a safe place - the same Windows 10 USB should be OK.

3. Install the SSD, remove the HDD, boot from the USB, clean install Windows 10 Pro to the USB. Skip entering the product key during install.

4. Attempt to activate Windows 10 with the Windows 7 Product Key.

5. If step #4 fails - copy the saved genuineticket.xml file to the proper folder on the SSD and reboot. That should activate Windows 10.

See here:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Instead of:

3. Install the SSD, remove the HDD, boot from the USB, clean install Windows 10 Pro to the USB. Skip entering the product key during install.

If you have a retail key, or one from the COA sticker on the machine, you can try:

3. Install the SSD, remove the HDD, boot from the USB, clean install Windows 10 Pro to the USB. Enter the Windows 7 product key during install the first time when asked for a product key.

If the installation proceeds, the key has been accepted, and activation should be automatic. If not, skip, and try the other routes suggessted.

Fafhrd, Nov 23, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    That's gatherosstate.exe, right?

Word Man, Nov 23, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    yes, thank you for the correction!

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  8. TH2 pulled, what is the best method to upgrade to 10?

AntiMalware, Nov 23, 2015
  9. M4v3r1ck Win User
    What's with the setup screen logo and texts. Never seen that before! Is this a home-brew version? (no accusations intended!)

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Nov 23, 2015
  10. *Eek *sarc

Cluster Head, Nov 23, 2015
  11. What do you mean?

I found the logo and attached it

AntiMalware, Nov 23, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    It starts the initial stage in "text" mode (no pictures) but after restart you should see a circle gradually becoming blue as setup progresses.

spapakons, Nov 23, 2015
  13. M4v3r1ck Win User

As I mentioned in my post, no offense intended!

M4v3r1ck, Nov 23, 2015
  14. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Just asked what the install screen was about. But if I offended you I apologize, this was never the intention at my side!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Nov 23, 2015
  15. Thanks for the links. Although when I downloaded the media creation tool, I received an error message stating that this is not a valid Win32 application. Is this something Microsoft has done already in their removal process? Thanks for the links.

Yes, I have the Windows 7 Pro sticker on the bottom of the laptop. OK, I guess then I will make a bootable USB .ISO of W10 PRO and remove the HDD and install the SSD and see if it will accept my W7 PRO key during install. If the key doesn't take I will skip and try to activate it after W10 installs and see if it will take the key then. Thanks.

Appreciate the download link.

heyyahblah, Nov 23, 2015
Thema:

1. TH2 pulled, what is the best method to upgrade to 10? - Similar Threads - TH2 pulled best

2. What method is this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What method is this?: I was just browsing in the WinRT docs and found something with this syntax:SomeFunction.SomeFunction;It's a function and NOT a class.How do I implement this in my normal code?[If possible share an example]...
  3. What method is this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What method is this?: I was just browsing in the WinRT docs and found something with this syntax:SomeFunction.SomeFunction;It's a function and NOT a class.How do I implement this in my normal code?[If possible share an example]...
  4. Moving user folders to HDD - what is the best and simplest method

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving user folders to HDD - what is the best and simplest method: I need to reinstall Win10 as I keep getting BSOD since the recent update, but want to replicate my current document library heirarchy which is saved on the HDD. SSD contains OS, plus c:\users\UserABC > (Folder: Documents)HDD d:\users\UserABC > (Folders: Desktop; Downloads;...
  5. Best method to upgrade Win Pro 7 to Win Pro 10?

Best method to upgrade Win Pro 7 to Win Pro 10?: I am in-house support of a modest sized Windows network which will upgrade to the latest version Windows server. Workstations will upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. I understand the free upgrade has ended and have no problem paying for upgrade licenses. We have...
  6. What is the best method of Moving Software

What is the best method of Moving Software: I have a New computer with windows installed on a 500 GB M.2 SSD drive. I want to first Partition a new 1 TB M.2. SSD drive and migrate everything to the larger SSD drive. My older Windows 10 Computer has a 1 TB SSD drive C, one 1 TB drive D and 3 2 TB drives E-F and L. Some...
  7. What's your ideology on when to start startup programs? Best Method?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's your ideology on when to start startup programs? Best Method?: I have about 15 startups programs that I want to run automatically when I first boot up my computer. The programs are like Realtek audio, flux, search, google sync, Dexpot, Search Everything, etc. I have never gotten to a point in which all of them booted automatically....
  8. High disk usage after upgrade to TH2.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High disk usage after upgrade to TH2.: I just upgraded to TH2 from Win 10 Pro. I noticed that my disk usage is near 99% for the past 20 mins. It keeps fluctuatiing between 10 to 99. Normally my disk usage stays at 0. May be this might be Windows settling in after the upgrade? There was high disk usage the first...
  9. What is the best upgrade path for 8.1 to 10 pro

What is the best upgrade path for 8.1 to 10 pro: I just purchased a new windows 8.1 laptop. I need to upgrade to a Pro version. my previous laptop was 7 pro. As I would rather not have to learn two new operating systems (have not worked with either 8 or 10 yet) - I thought I would get to 10 pro as soon as possible....
  10. Windows 10 Enterprise TH2 Upgrade

Windows 10 Enterprise TH2 Upgrade: Hi Guys, I'm using win10 enterprise x64 on a test laptop. Have a key from MSDN as the business is a subscriber. What is the best way to force the TH2 update? 29802