Windows 10: That annoying Edge icon in IE11 on CU

Discus and support That annoying Edge icon in IE11 on CU in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Has anyone figured a way to turn this crap off? [img] Yes, I know that Edge is Microsoft's "preferred" browser. No, I'm not interested. I need... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by drfsupercenter, Apr 13, 2017.

1. That annoying Edge icon in IE11 on CU

Has anyone figured a way to turn this crap off?

That annoying Edge icon in IE11 on CU [​IMG]

Yes, I know that Edge is Microsoft's "preferred" browser. No, I'm not interested. I need IE for work purposes because of legacy ActiveX components, so that annoying icon does no good.

I'm trying to get the new build ready for work on our domain, but considering all our employees heavily use IE every day, this is going to get on everybody's nerves and fast!

I tried copying the iexplore.exe from Anniversary Update (1607) to 1703 VM, and got an error about a missing ordinal in the EXE. So I'm thinking they added it that way - not seeing any settings, GPOs, or any other way to turn it off.

Even better when you're logged in as the local Administrator account which cannot run Edge or any other Modern apps but the stupid icon still shows up and is completely useless *sarc

:)

drfsupercenter, Apr 13, 2017
  2. CMTietgen Win User

IE11 Stops Responding On New Tab - Win10 CU

No. You are thinking of IE which allows us to open our first Home page in a new tab. The only options we are given in Edge are: Top sites and Suggested Content, Top Sites, and A Blank page. It is the latter that I was referring to and it is not About:Blank.

The issue is for IE11 and not Edge, but you're right. When I set the Homepage to "about:blank" and open a new instance of IE11 the 1st tab opens to "about:blank". Click the new tab button opens a new tab without "about:blank" and shows the "Frequent sites"
    screen.

On my Windows 10 , which hasn't been upgraded yet, I can open as many new tabs as I want using that button, but the use who has Win10 CU has IE11 stop responding every time.

My concern is that when our customers start getting the CU, they will start filing tickets with us for this issue and it's not an issue with out site, but with IE11 on Win10 CU.

Is there any way to prevent IE11 on Win10 CU from trying to open the "Top Sites" page when the new tab button is clicked?

CMTietgen, Apr 13, 2017
  3. Accessing group contact list from gmail

I've seen other posts about email/webmail problems with Edge.

You also have IE11 installed on Windows 10 and can use IE11 instead of Edge.

See if IE11 has a better time with Gmail that Edge.

How to put an IE icon on the Desktop

IE11 in Windows 10- How do I put an IE icon on the Desktop

Other options:

Type Internet Explorer into the search box at the bottom of the screen. Find Internet Explorer in the list of results, right-click it to either Pin to taskbar or Pin to Start.

If you are using Edge and want to use IE11, click on the 3 dots at the upper right corner and select Open with Internet Explorer.

Don

Don Varnau, Apr 13, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

That annoying Edge icon in IE11 on CU

Brink, Apr 13, 2017
  5. Oh, cool. I didn't realize they actually included a way to turn it off!

I guess I should have perused the "advanced" options before I posted, ha.

There doesn't happen to be a group policy setting for this I can deploy across the network, does there? I can use the registry key method to do the same thing, but that's a more hacky approach of using GPOs. I know there are Internet Options in there, but oddly it only shows IE 10, even when running gpmgmt from the newest versions of Windows 10. (The settings do work on 11, I think)

drfsupercenter, Apr 13, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I haven't noticed a setting for this in Group Policy yet.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

That annoying Edge icon in IE11 on CU

1. That annoying Edge icon in IE11 on CU - Similar Threads - annoying Edge icon

2. possible security issue with IE11 and Edge WebView

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    possible security issue with IE11 and Edge WebView: I just happened to notice a few things that I believe might be of significance to Microsoft, including the following:IE11 so it seems is still used in Windows, namely, during the setup of new email accounts in the Mail and Calendar app AND in the Settings app. To replicate -...
  3. Ms edge - ie11 emulation???

in Browsers and Email
    Ms edge - ie11 emulation???: I have a software package, an installation .exe file, that needs IE to work. Is there any way for MS Edge to emulate IE since my version W10 Build 21390.2025 does not include IE and will not permit it to be installed. Any thoughts appreciated. 181784
  4. Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE): Hi Folks Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your browser / do other nasty things - and currently NO A/V software can protect against this. BE VERY CAREFUL if using IE11 /...
  5. IE11 vs. Edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 vs. Edge: Does anyone know of a good source that explains the difference between IE11 and Edge? Pretty much all I've gathered is that Edge isn't as compatible with as many web-sites as IE11. Why the introduction of a new browser? Why isn't it more compatible? 48979
  6. Using EDGE in IE11 on build 10041

in Browsers and Email
    Using EDGE in IE11 on build 10041: To enable the new engine, just type “about:flags” in IE11’s address bar, select “Enabled” under “Enable Experimental Web Platform Features,” and restart the browser. Enabling the "Custom User Agent" option will trick sites that nerf IE specifically into using the Spartan Edge...
  7. Microsoft Edge annoyance ...

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge annoyance ...: I'd like to switch over to Microsoft Edge, but one simple problem prevents me from doing so. And that problem is how Microsoft Edge keeps opening up in different window positions onscreen every time I open it. Very, very, very annoying. I know Windows Explorer had this...
  8. is it me or is ie11 better than edge?

in Browsers and Email
    is it me or is ie11 better than edge?: edge seems massively dumbed down, very bare options configuration compared to IE11. From what I can see all of the following are missing. No options to toggle tls 1.1 1.0 1.2 etc. No options to toggle gpu acceleration No options to set file cache location (I like to...
  9. Outlook.com unreachable via edge and IE11

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook.com unreachable via edge and IE11: I am having problems on my laptop using things like Cortana across user accounts. The wheel spins and spins when I click on Cortana. I think the problem stems from the fact edge and IE11 cannot load outlook.com or go into things like account settings. It's only this causing...
  10. how to remove edge and put back ie11

in Browsers and Email
    how to remove edge and put back ie11: ok, so I upgraded??? to win 10, now my ie11 is not to be found. how do I remove this edge and put back my ie 11? 16483