Windows 10: That flashy "not new" settings banner is MIA on 1 of my 3 pc's

Discus and support That flashy "not new" settings banner is MIA on 1 of my 3 pc's in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, for the longest time ive ran 2 pc's as my main and backup, and my laptop on the insider ring. The laptop has had the settings banner thing for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, Feb 6, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

That flashy "not new" settings banner is MIA on 1 of my 3 pc's

So, for the longest time ive ran 2 pc's as my main and backup, and my laptop on the insider ring.

The laptop has had the settings banner thing for ages and I assumed it was an insider thing. A feature not yet pushed. I didnt much care for it anyways. (after this debacle, i looked and its been live for quite some time)

Well yesterday i was cleaning out some junk tasks. One pointed to something, wumgr which pointed to a portable app called sledgehammer. I opened it and its essentially a script that locks down all windows updating in lieu of doing so manually. I knew this was the case, however I imagined a Yes/No type thing, not an "open script and rape your WU" type thing.

So it was ran, and i had to run the "undo" script that came with it after the fact. immediately upon running the undo, for reasons beyond my understanding - POOF, I had this settings banner.

I began to wonder what else it had "undid" (changed) since there are so many facets involved with windows update. I decided a system restore was my best bet to get back to a pre banner state.

No bueno.

I then realized it troubled me greatly enough to much of the days work, and do a restore to that mornings image, that would surely put things right.

No... bueno...

Disappointed but apparently, whatever and however it was triggered - its here to stay now. Its tied to the account on some level or something.

So the TLDR is, I now have 2 pc's with this banner, and yet my secondary pc, with the same exact microsoft account, and same exact windows version, does not have it. How do i bregrudgingly force it to start working on this pc so I have some parity amongst my systems? The fact that its not, when everything else is the same indicate its being blocked or disabled somehow, or somethings not updating properly.

This truly confounds me as a macrium image from almost 12 hours prior to me triggering it on my main pc didnt remove it. Well it did when i first started the pc, but then i glanced back at it a few minutes later and POOF, banner!

:)

klepp0906, Feb 6, 2020

2. Disabling the volume control banner on PC

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to remove the volume control banner on your PC.

This issue started after the latest version of Chrome was released. However, we can disable the banner by changing some settings in Chrome browser. Kindly follow the steps below to fix the issue.

1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Now type in the following command on the address bar:

chrome://flags/#hardware-media-key-handling
    3. Under Hardware Media Key Handling select the drop down to
      Disabled
    4. Restart Chrome

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 6, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 6, 2020
  4. That flashy "not new" settings banner is MIA on 1 of my 3 pc's

Volume bar banner

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how annoying it can be when you get the Volume bar banner, while playing music/video on Google Chrome.
    To have a clarity on this issue, we need some information.

• Was there a major change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren't facing this issue?
    • Do you receive the same popup when you play music/videos on Edge or Internet Explorer?
    • Do you have any extensions enabled in Google Chrome for playing music?
    • Which version of Google Chrome are you using?

However, we suggest you to try this steps and check if you are able to get rid of the banner.

1. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to open
      Settings.
    2. Then click on Systems. Then select
      Notifications & actions from the left pane.
    3. Then under Get notifications from these senders, toggle the switch for
      Audio to disable the Banner and Sound notifications.
    4. Close all the browser and reopen Google Chrome, to play some
      music/videos.
    5. Check if you get the Volume bar banner back.

As an additional information, please refer the
    Change notification settings in Windows 10
    article.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

That flashy "not new" settings banner is MIA on 1 of my 3 pc's

1. That flashy "not new" settings banner is MIA on 1 of my 3 pc's - Similar Threads - flashy settings banner

2. TPM is MIA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM is MIA: Windows Security posted a warning that "there is no TPM available. Please check your BIOS settings". I checked, and TPM has disappeared from my Device Manager listing. I ran tpm.msc, and it said "compatible TPM cannot be found". My BIOS is current and says that TPM is...
  3. TPM is MIA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TPM is MIA: Windows Security posted a warning that "there is no TPM available. Please check your BIOS settings". I checked, and TPM has disappeared from my Device Manager listing. I ran tpm.msc, and it said "compatible TPM cannot be found". My BIOS is current and says that TPM is...
  4. Camera MIA

Camera MIA: My camera seems to be disengaged from my computer. The problem began when Zoom couldn't find it. It also doesn't show up in Device Management. I am able to set the camera privacy settings, but that's the only thing that indicates I even have a camera--other than having a...
  5. Settings Banner is No More

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings Banner is No More: Looks like there been another major change to the Settings Banner. Both platforms today: Oddly my second machine, which isn't used much, showed it at first then it disappeared the next time I checked. It's an improvement if you ask me. 182465
  6. Settings banner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings banner: Hi Why hasn’t Microsoft made a disable feature for that header/banner in setting it’s an eyesore to say the least. Surely developer would be aware of this , nearly as similar when edge got pushed to everyone without choice . I use my system in a local profile and keep...
  7. Windows Settings and Banners

Windows Settings and Banners: I personally like the banners on the Windows settings page. The other day, I was seeing 4 links... OneDrive, Windows Update, Rewards and Web Browsing. Yesterday, the Web Browsing Link is no longer there. I didn't do anything that I'm aware of to make it disappear. But...
  8. Banner on Settings Window

Banner on Settings Window: I have two computers, a laptop and desktop, both running Windows 10 Pro. The desktop got the new banner on the settings menu prior to version 2004 build 19041.329, but the laptop never did. Now both my computers have version 2004 build 19041.329, but my laptop never got the...
  9. 1903 and new Microsoft Account banner in Settings...

in Windows 10 Support
    1903 and new Microsoft Account banner in Settings...: Hi all i just updated to 1903. I am missing top banner in Setting with Microsoft Account information like on this picture: https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...5153-2.jpg&f=1 Was it removed from official release or you guys just have it? I tired to reset the Setting app...
  10. OneDrive MIA

OneDrive MIA: One drive was inadvertently deleted. Is there a way to re-install it with out having to do a clean install of windows ? I also noticed that Microsoft has a one drive page where it can be downloaded, but it won't down load it since the system is Windows 10. 77480