Windows 10: that old right click issue with a twist?

Discus and support that old right click issue with a twist? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hey guys/girls, long time lurker, first time poster running win10 pro with creator update every-time i right on the desktop and try and create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by darkentre, Apr 24, 2017.

1. darkentre Win User

that old right click issue with a twist?

hey guys/girls,

long time lurker, first time poster

running win10 pro with creator update

every-time i right on the desktop and try and create a "new" - file, folder, etc
    it crashes and refreshes the screen, all other right click inputs in the dialog i have work
    I tried disabling all the startup stuff (bar 2 power-shell options it wont let me disable) ... out side that and looking over the multiple google issues that havent seem to work for others...
    i'm deaf, blind and dumb...... lost

it only started since I believe I updated to the creator update
    and as extra addon not.. not sure if its a thing or not
    I cant create shorts cuts to the desktop, add to start menu or task bar..
    if this a new win10 thing... thing i've learnt something new (havent googled this)

cheers in advance
    "maybe, im to close to the project"

-DT

:)

darkentre, Apr 24, 2017
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 24, 2017
  3. ISSUE WITH RIGHT CLICK

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

We understand your concern and will certainly assist you to solve it.

1. Do you receive any error message related to the issue?

2. From when is the issue persisting?

3. Did you make and changes to you computer prior to the issue?

4. Are you using a Local account or Microsoft Account?

Please be advised that the issue you face might be due to some of the Windows 10 components going missing or corrupt. Please refer the below steps to troubleshoot.

Method 1: Microsoft Safety Scanner.

The issue you face may be due to some Virus or malware issues so you may try running the Microsoft Safety scanner and check if the issue persists.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software. Please refer the below link to download
    and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

DISCLAIMER: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection.

If the issue persists, please follow the below method.

Method 2: System maintenance troubleshooter.

Try running System Maintenance Troubleshooter to get the problem automatically detected and fixed. Please follow the steps given below.

1. Press Windows key + X key and then go to control panel.

2. Select system and maintenance.

3. There select troubleshooting.

4. In troubleshooting, go to system and security and select
    run maintenance task.

5. Select system maintenance and follow the
    on screen instructions.

If the issue persists, please follow the below method.

Method 3: SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps to perform an SFC scan.

1. Press Windows key + X key.

2. Select command prompt (admin).

3. Type the below command:

Sfc /scannow

If the issue persists, please refer the below method.

Method 4: DISM scan.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a new command line tool that you can use to service a Windows image or prepare a Windows PE image. The DISM tool replaces the Package Manager (pkgmgr.exe), PEimg, and Intlcfg tools. DISM consolidates
    the functionality found in those three tools, as well as delivers new functionality to improve the experience of offline servicing.

Please follow the given steps to run a DISM scan:

1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command prompt.

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or you need any further assistance.

Amarjeet_Paul, Apr 24, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @darkentre

It's not. I have the Creators Update and can make new folders or files on my desktop.

Have you tried creating a new local user? Does it work for another user? If so, it may be your user profile is corrupt.

5. darkentre Win User
    I created a new local user account and there was no issue

so, fixes or solutions for this?

or do I just drag out "hopefully" a old image where this isnt a problem?

cheers,

darkentre, Apr 24, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I'm afraid the usual advice for a corrupt user profile is to create yourself a new user and transfer the files and documents across to the new user account. It's often the simplest and quickest 'fix'.

Remember to make the new account an administrator, you must never delete the last administrator account or you won't be able to manage your PC. It will be a lot of work setting it up as before, but you can export your bookmarks from your browsers, including Edge since the Creators Update.
    Backup and Restore Microsoft Edge Favorites in Windows 10

You could try deleting your profile, a new one will be created when you next log in. Again, you may have a lot of settings to put back the way you want them. You'll need a separate local administrator account to do this. It's a good idea to have one for admin purposes anyway.
    Delete User Profile in Windows 10

If you have an old image then you may be in luck, the profile may not be corrupt in the image. At least, it gives you something to fall back to.

Whatever you try, before you start make a note of all the settings in your original account that you may need to set up again afterwards.

7. dalchina New Member
    There's an outside chance you have an extension installed the Creator's update doesn't like. If that wasn't installed for all users, that might explain why you don't have the problem in a new user account.

So try disabling shell extensions.
    Download and install Shellexview (free), easy to find. Hide all MS extensions, disable all others.Note:
    there may still be other extensions enabled. For those try e.g. Shellmenuview or the context menu editor in Glary Utilities.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2017
  8. darkentre Win User

Thanx the help people
    I just rebuilt it from a old image

Cheers

darkentre, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. that old right click issue with a twist? - Similar Threads - old right click

2. Old Right Click Mneu is not Showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Right Click Mneu is not Showing up: Recently Updated to win 11 22h2Everything works fine except the old right click menu not showing up.The default right click menu works fine but the legacy one which opens using shift right click or shift f10 doesn't show up but it does open up ghostly and the screen remains...
  3. Old Right Click Mneu is not Showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Right Click Mneu is not Showing up: Recently Updated to win 11 22h2Everything works fine except the old right click menu not showing up.The default right click menu works fine but the legacy one which opens using shift right click or shift f10 doesn't show up but it does open up ghostly and the screen remains...
  4. Right-click Mouse Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Right-click Mouse Issues: I am currently running Windows 10. Within the past month the RIGHT Click Menu has begun to pop-up automatically without me ever right clicking. I have gone into Settings/Devices/Mouse/Related Settings/Additional Mouse Options/ClickLock/Turn on ClickLock/OK/Apply and this has...
  5. Right-click Mouse Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click Mouse Issues: I am currently running Windows 10. Within the past month the RIGHT Click Menu has begun to pop-up automatically without me ever right clicking. I have gone into Settings/Devices/Mouse/Related Settings/Additional Mouse Options/ClickLock/Turn on ClickLock/OK/Apply and this has...
  6. Right-click Mouse Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. The old freeze issue after updates with a twist

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The old freeze issue after updates with a twist: So... It's been maybe a couple of years since this one, I'm running a Windows tablet, it's unbranded. The common i believe was fairly common, people updated, pc would boot and login ok but would freeze a moment later. Easy fix was roll back the update from the login screen...
  8. Right click menu issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click menu issue: I absolutely love this theme....except that the context (right click) menus remain white. I can't believe they were intended to be this way. The theme has such beautiful artwork otherwise. Any advice, suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. (other than live with...
  9. Right Clicking Issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Right Clicking Issue: Ok so this isn't a big issue but it's driving me nuts. I run the latest version of Windows 10 64 Bit. I have 4 disks in my computer. 3 SSDs and 1 HDD. Every time I log in I can right click anywhere I want with no issue. But if I choose to right the HDD under my computer I...
  10. Twist on Black Screen issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Twist on Black Screen issue: I've been running Windows 10 on my Dell desktop for a few months now with no major issues. Now, it decides to randomly act up. Anyhow... The computer boots up to the login screen where it shows the picture. Once I hit a key it shows the user name and the password box for a...