Windows 10: That pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message when copying/moving files. On completion...

Discus and support That pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message when copying/moving files. On completion... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sometimes when I'm copying/moving a folder I get that pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message, like this: [ATTACH] If it's just one or two files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pete the other one, Aug 27, 2020.

1. That pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message when copying/moving files. On completion...

Sometimes when I'm copying/moving a folder I get that pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message, like this:

That pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message when copying/moving files. On completion... f0b71c42-26e4-47e8-9cf4-eeef8ab5b20d?upload=true.jpg

If it's just one or two files I can scribble down the filenames and fix things afterwards.

However, if there are a lot of files then that's not practical.

And as far as I can tell, if I click Skip for each problem file, or if check the Do this for all current items box and click Skip, then there is no way to see a list of the problem files after the copy/move has finished.

The only solution I've found if copying files fails like this if moving files fails then I think the skipped files are left in the original location is to manually check the sizes/file counts of each folder/subfolder, working my way down the structure, until I've found all the missed files. A long-winded and error prone method.

There must be a better way - please enlighten me.

Also, this seems like rather an oversight. I would expect a list of any files that failed to copy/move to be displayed as a matter of course after the copy/move has finished.

Note: this problem often occurs if there are saved web pages, which often have very long names, and whose constituent files and folders also often have very long names. I know now that zipping the web pages after download and giving the zip file a short, sensible name can help.

Personal not company Dell Inspiron 15R N1150 with Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 2004, build 19041.450 recent fresh install onto unformatted HDD using a newly created Windows 10 installation bootable USB, automatic updates enabled. Connected to home private network, not using domains.

:)

Pete the other one, Aug 27, 2020

2. Unable to copy or move file getting error destination path too long

hi,

when i trying to copy paste file another location i get error destination path too long

i have also tried to move file after rename but same issue faced

please help

That pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message when copying/moving files. On completion... 05961899-a80e-41ef-bd9f-9a3010f7906e.jpg

<Moved from Windows Insider>

Lavdeep Kumar, Aug 27, 2020
  3. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command:

Code:
    [b]gpupdate /target:computer /force[/b]
    But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error [b]
    Destination path too long The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.[/b]
    Thanks in advance.

StavrosStavridis2, Aug 27, 2020
  4. XXtanyaXX Win User

That pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message when copying/moving files. On completion...

"Destination Path Too Long" Error? (?revisted?)

Trying to COPY a 5.x GB folder from a WINDOWS XP PRO drive to a WINDOWS 10 PC - with more and more "Destination Path Too Long" ERRORS.

I can’t tell WHERE the culprits are (I.E. Searching is taking A LONG TIME); how much of the copy has succeeded, (The green graph appears for a millisecond) Or any other possibly useful info.. about the attempted copy.

There are only the 2 options: SKIP or CANCEL (deleting the partially copied contents (trying to) is no easy matter (for the recycle bin - with the path limit).

I would greatly appreciate UP-TO-DATE measures - I already edited the path key in the registry weeks ago - no help.

Shortening every path is not an option.

1. Are there any UP-TO-DATE unbloated <free> utilities people can suggest for this?

2. Is there a patch yet?

3. Could someone post a link on mapping the drive - I cannot find or understand it (assuming it will work)?

Thank you in advance

P.S.

SUGGESTIONS to MS:

A) Include a warning (like the "illegal" filename characters) if path names are exceeding the 200+ character limit.

B) Provide a way to edit the file / path in the error message windows...

XXtanyaXX, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

That pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message when copying/moving files. On completion...

1. That pesky "Destination Path Too Long" message when copying/moving files. On completion... - Similar Threads - pesky Destination Path

2. Locating files with "destination path too long" in Windows explorer when copying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locating files with "destination path too long" in Windows explorer when copying: I am copying files from a EHD to my documents folder. I get an error saying "destination path too long" and with an option to skip or cancel. I have thousands of files in the folders that I am copying. How do I find out which files have a "destination path too long". Is there...
  3. Locating files with "destination path too long" in Windows explorer when copying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locating files with "destination path too long" in Windows explorer when copying: I am copying files from a EHD to my documents folder. I get an error saying "destination path too long" and with an option to skip or cancel. I have thousands of files in the folders that I am copying. How do I find out which files have a "destination path too long". Is there...
  4. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Destination Path to Long: Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that...
  5. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Destination Path to Long: Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that...
  6. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Destination Path Too Long

Destination Path Too Long: Hello - Does anyone know which builds of Windows 10 Pro support file paths longer than 260 characters on NTFS volumes? Better yet, does anyone know how to remove that limitation? I am using Windows 10 Pro ver. 20H2 It seems that in this version the group policy "Enable...
  8. "Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Destination Path Too Long" -- despite LongPathsEnabled = 1 ??: Trying to copy/dump a bunch of files & dirs from an external HDD (given by someone else), but getting the ol' "Destination Path Too Long" error ----- even tho i already have "LongPathsEnabled" set to 1 in registry (did this a long time ago). wtf? Why might this happen? HDD...
  9. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...
  10. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...