Windows 10: That Windows 7 Wallpaper Bug Microsoft introduced? Buy ESU to get it fixed

Discus and support That Windows 7 Wallpaper Bug Microsoft introduced? Buy ESU to get it fixed in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released a final cumulative update for the company's Windows 7 operating system on the January 2020 Patch Day before support ended... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jan 26, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

That Windows 7 Wallpaper Bug Microsoft introduced? Buy ESU to get it fixed

Microsoft released a final cumulative update for the company's Windows 7 operating system on the January 2020 Patch Day before support ended officially.

KB4534310 fixes several security issues on machines running Windows 7 including one that is rated critical.

Reports came in after the release of the update that the wallpaper on patched Windows 7 devices displayed as black.

Microsoft acknowledged the issue recently on the official KB4534310 support page stating:

After installing KB4534310, your desktop wallpaper might display as black when set to Stretch.

A workaround is provided by Microsoft. According to the information presented, the wallpaper is displayed as black only if the display mode is set to stretch.

That Windows 7 Wallpaper Bug Microsoft introduced? Buy ESU to get it fixed windows7_personalize-660x514.jpg

Microsoft suggests that affected users either use a different view mode, e.g. fill, fit, or center, or select a wallpaper that matches the resolution of the display.

To mitigate the issue, you can do one of the following:

Set your custom image to an option other than Stretch, such as Fill, Fit, Tile, or Center.

Choose a custom wallpaper that matches the resolution of your desktop.

Administrators and users should not have any trouble using the workaround to resolve the black wallpaper issue. One option is to use an image editor to stretch the wallpaper to the native resolution of the device and use that edited image as the desktop background going forward.

A patch is being worked on according to Microsoft, but it will only be made available to Extended Security Updates subscribers.

We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release for organizations who have purchased Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU).

Extended Security Updates are only available for Enterprise and business customers.

Microsoft's stance is quite rigorous in regards to the patch; while support for Windows 7 ended officially on January 14, 2020, it was Microsoft's own patch that caused the issue in first place.

It would not cost Microsoft an arm and leg to release the patch for all Windows 7 devices and not exclusively for Extended Security Updates subscribers considering that the patch is developed anyway for ESU devices already.

The issue may not be critical but many customers would have probably preferred if Microsoft would have ended support without the unpatched issue.

Now You: What is your take on this? (via Ask Woody)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post That Windows 7 Wallpaper Bug Microsoft introduced? Buy ESU to get it fixed appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jan 26, 2020
  2. Wora_01 Win User

Since we can buy ESU for Windows 7, how about VDA that use Window7, do we need ESU for VDA?

Since we can buy ESU for Windows 7, how about VDA that used Window7, do we need ESU for VDA?

Wora_01, Jan 26, 2020
  3. BAAnderz Win User
    Unclear about Windows 7 Professional available for ESU

I have two machines running Windows 7 Professional. They are connected to scientific equipment that will not have compliant software available until 2021. The machines are connected to a network/internet. Is the ESU plan available for Windows 7 Professional
    machines as listed in the ESU documents? If so, how can I purchase it? We are a small business and do not have volume pricing or enterprise planning.

BAAnderz, Jan 26, 2020
  4. derekimo Win User

derekimo, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

1. That Windows 7 Wallpaper Bug Microsoft introduced? Buy ESU to get it fixed - Similar Threads - Wallpaper Bug Microsoft

2. Esu Windows 7 after January 2023

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Esu Windows 7 after January 2023: hello view that Windows 7 pro in business that I use will soon come to an end in esu is that my business pc is not compatible with Windows 11 and besides I saw rumors on the net of July 2022 that Microsoft may be extended esu 4.5.6 th additional year which was discovered via...
  3. Esu Windows 7 after January 2023

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Esu Windows 7 after January 2023: hello view that Windows 7 pro in business that I use will soon come to an end in esu is that my business pc is not compatible with Windows 11 and besides I saw rumors on the net of July 2022 that Microsoft may be extended esu 4.5.6 th additional year which was discovered via...
  4. Windows 11 Wallpaper Bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Wallpaper Bug: Hello everyoneEverytime I turn on my pc or restart it I have a bug on my 2nd wallpaper 4k resolution, it doesnt display the entire picture and in order to fix it I have to change the resolution to other and then go back to my resolution, here is a pictureDo you know what can...
  5. Windows 11 Wallpaper Bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Wallpaper Bug: Hello everyoneEverytime I turn on my pc or restart it I have a bug on my 2nd wallpaper 4k resolution, it doesnt display the entire picture and in order to fix it I have to change the resolution to other and then go back to my resolution, here is a pictureDo you know what can...
  6. buy windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    buy windows 7: hello. I am from Iran.Am I allowed to use Windows 7 for free?I do not have enough money to buy Windows.please help me.*** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/buy-windows-7/cb0808ae-d04d-4f05-8d9c-4202d7ef22f5
  7. Atleast windows 7 or 8 can update why people not staying on 7 or 8 for 2023 u can buy esu...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Atleast windows 7 or 8 can update why people not staying on 7 or 8 for 2023 u can buy esu...: Atleast windows 7 or 8 can update why people not staying on 7 or 8 for 2023 u can buy esu license or just update 8.1 to 2023 its not that easy or what not like windows 10 u cant even update all at once only 10 updates max for 3 month...
  8. Wallpaper bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wallpaper bug: [ATTACH] Hi! I'm having this problem and I can't quite put words to it, so I'm having difficulty searching my problem on google and thought that maybe you guys could help. My wallpaper goes up into the corner and the rest of the wallpaper goes black, then when I drag my...
  9. It appears that the Windows 7 ESU Bypass is indeed working

in Windows 10 News
    It appears that the Windows 7 ESU Bypass is indeed working: Support for Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system ended on January 14, 2020 officially. Home users cannot extend support for the operating system while business and Enterprise customers may extend support by up to three years; this is done by joining the ESU program which is...
  10. Should "ESU for Microsoft Windows 7 SP1" be installed on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should "ESU for Microsoft Windows 7 SP1" be installed on Windows 10?: This turned up in my Geek Uninstaller as an entry and it seems very out of place. My HP Laptop Pavilion dv7 is starting to run slow with more frequent application crashes. I had to do a hard reboot a little earlier as well. Every start-up and every user profile start-up has a...