Windows 10: The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP)

Discus and support The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So, I downloaded this font for a project of mine and now it just refuses to be deleted... Everything else works. I can rename it, move it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheXMelon, Oct 23, 2020.

1. The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP)

The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP) plL5jb_c011rxxTyB8issLU2FzyVXpDyBQBGfkQuSyU.jpg

So, I downloaded this font for a project of mine and now it just refuses to be deleted... Everything else works. I can rename it, move it, and duplicate it but can't delete it. I'm very confused and I've tried to look online for anyone else that had this issue but nothing helped. I would love some feedback. Thanks.

https://preview.redd.it/n1b8c8tbvvu...bp&s=9d4fb831d9759f7f021e7fa5faca647fa33f5104

submitted by /u/TheXMelon
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheXMelon, Oct 23, 2020

2. Action can't be completed, file is open in system

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I see that you are unable to delete the ISO file which is available on the desktop.

Please answer the below question to assist you better,

1. Is this issue specific to this particular file?

2. Do you have a CD/DVD Burning program open when you try to delete the file?

Follow the below methods and check if it helps,

Method 1: I would suggest you to go into safe mode and try deleting the file.

Safe mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. If a problem doesn't reappear when you start your PC in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and
    basic device drivers and services as possible causes.

To enter into Safe Mode in Windows 10, follow the steps given below.

Restart your PC with pressing Shift key

Click See Advanced Repair Options.

Click Troubleshoot.

Click Advanced Options.

Click Windows Startup Settings.

Click Restart.

You then see a list where you can choose
    Safe Mode

If the issue persist then follow the below method.

Method 2: Take ownership of the file and then try deleting it.

Take the ownership of the source file or folder and try deleting the file and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Please refer the below link on "Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows.

Refer:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670

(Applies to Windows 10)

For better information I would suggest you to refer Trying to delete a CD image file, get error "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program" replied by grivas209 on August 31 2010 in the link below,

Trying to delete a CD image file, get error "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program"

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Oct 23, 2020
  4. The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP)

When clicking the files getting error that the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

Hello,

I understand that when you try to open the file, you are prompted that the files does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. We will certainly help you.

• What file are you trying to open?
    This issue is caused if the file is not associated with any of the application or program to open it.

If those files are the pictures as I can see that you are trying to access the picture folder. I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if the issue resolves.

• Right click on the file and select Open with.
    • Select Photo App or Photo Gallery.
    • Double click and check if you are able to open that file.
    Keep us posted if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP)

1. The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP) - Similar Threads - Action Cannot Completed

2. This action can't be completed because the file is open in System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This action can't be completed because the file is open in System: Hi, I intend to delete files in the WindowsApps>MSIXVC folder. Everytime I delete the files, I get a message "This action can't be completed because the file is open in System. I have already taken the ownership of the files and the folder. Please help on how to delete this...
  3. This action can't be completed because the file is open in System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This action can't be completed because the file is open in System: Hi, I intend to delete files in the WindowsApps>MSIXVC folder. Everytime I delete the files, I get a message "This action can't be completed because the file is open in System. I have already taken the ownership of the files and the folder. Please help on how to delete this...
  4. “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”: All I want to do is simply rename a folder. No apps are running, this happens even immediately after reboot. I'm trying random potential solutions found on Google but nothing is helping, and I am normally a Mac user so I am quite lost in general.Can someone please help me?...
  5. “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”

“The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”: All I want to do is simply rename a folder. No apps are running, this happens even immediately after reboot. I'm trying random potential solutions found on Google but nothing is helping, and I am normally a Mac user so I am quite lost in general.Can someone please help me?...
  6. “The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program”

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Cannot Delete Notepad Files - "this action cannot be completed because the file is open in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Delete Notepad Files - "this action cannot be completed because the file is open in...: Hello,I am running Windows 10 HomeI can not delete "Text Document" files aka saved notepad filesI get the same error message whether I drag the file to the recycle bin or if I right click and select delete.Either way I get a pop up that said:"File in UseThis action cannot be...
  8. Cannot Delete Notepad Files - "this action cannot be completed because the file is open in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Delete Notepad Files - "this action cannot be completed because the file is open in...: Hello,I am running Windows 10 HomeI can not delete "Text Document" files aka saved notepad filesI get the same error message whether I drag the file to the recycle bin or if I right click and select delete.Either way I get a pop up that said:"File in UseThis action cannot be...
  9. Cannot Delete Notepad Files - "this action cannot be completed because the file is open in...

10. The action can't be completed because the file is open in system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The action can't be completed because the file is open in system: i find a way to delete this file all day pls. tell me how to delete this file.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-action-cant-be-completed-because-the-file-is/9baf642b-e161-4282-93fc-efec1da46ffe"