Windows 10: The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location...

Discus and support The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I was doing a system image backup on USB flash drive which almost 2 TB, I was doing backup to network location, like the video on he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gennady46, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Gennady46 Win User

The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location...

The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location... 4e0bed37-91c0-4c25-8be3-ac58c93d4bf0?upload=true.png

I was doing a system image backup on USB flash drive which almost 2 TB, I was doing backup to network location, like the video on he instruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCxJfUO1-Qw

It is basically explains how to do image system backup to USB flash disk.

I checked the files on USB disk, it seems it did backup a system image, but, I got this error anyway.

Can someone let me know what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Gennady46, Feb 13, 2020

2. Windows 10 Pro Error codes returned after failing making a second System Image Backup

After creating a successful image backup on my second hard drive, I placed that backup into an
    identifiable folder. Then I perform some system changes and start an image bakup again however it will now fail with the following error messages/codes:

- There was a failure compacting the virtual hard disk on the backup location. (0x80780151).

-Additional Information:

The process cannot access the file because its being used by another process. (0x80070020).

After a reboot its possible to create a system image backup again.

This was not happening with Windows 8.1 Pro

How to execute a second System Image backup that will avoid this failure?

J.D.Koster, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Compacting virtual hard disks

We must have totally different working methods The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location... :)

Let's see what I told to be my workflow, and check how that works in reality. Example W10 x64 VM is one I have used for ESDtoISO and UUPtoISO testing, a clean installed build 15048 with no additional software installed, upgraded several times to builds 15055, 15058, 15060 and 15061, always restored back to clean 15048. This has of course caused the VHD size to grow to multiple times what really is needed.

After the above, checking file sizes. Macrium image was made when the original 64 GB dynamically expanding VHD was 34.5 GB:

The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location... [​IMG]

Macrium image size just under 5 GB:

The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location... [​IMG]

After restoring Macrium image to a new dynamically expanding VHD, file size is 9.3 GB. Over two thirds smaller than original one:

The same as seen by File Explorer, yellow highlight is the original VHD, start situation, and green highlight the new VHD where Macrium image from old VHD was restored. Old VHD can now be deleted, net storage save savings over 25 GB in this example case:

(Notice that VHD has already grown over 0.5 GB since the previous screenshot a few minutes earlier. This is because in previous screenshot VM was not started yet after restoring the image.)
    This of course is all logical, happens every time.

4. Guitar Win User

The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location...

Windows Backup Problems

Having a problem backing up Windows 7, need help. Basically, I am having the problem in which the backup will not create at all and fails at the shadow copy. This happens in Windows Backup using both the disk image backup and the personal file backup. It goes to maybe 5%-8% of Shadow Copy depending on the backup type and fails. The error that comes in event viewer is 0x81000019. Yes the disk is brand new and double the size of C:.

I tried the fix of making a new 490mb system reserve partition and that did not help (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/fce6950d-c06d-4dd0-a850-67022db4fe04) I formatted the disk several times and that didn't help. I tried a third party program, Comodo backup, and that too failed to operate I would say based on the shadow copy service. I tried this fix as well (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...aac-a0af-4740-a331-2b14d604a846?prof=required) and I failed at the regsvr32 es.dll, regsvr32 msxml3.dll, regsvr32 msxml4.dll commands, and WMI Writer when using the vssadmin list writers command was not responding. I've also tried stopping and restarting the service.

Besides doing a manual backup using Acronis, which is not preferred at this point, I don't know how to fix this.

Guitar, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

1. The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location... - Similar Threads - backup failed was

2. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  3. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  4. backup failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup failure: I cannot backup to an external hard drive. I get a message that system would not backup due to a virus or unwanted program, or something like that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-failure/e4bbebd5-e28b-4aea-993b-262c91955f2b
  5. HDD failure with no backup disks

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HDD failure with no backup disks: My Hp Laptop was dropped and my HDD is beyond repair. I want to purchase a new SSD but I don't have my activation key. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-failure-with-no-backup-disks/b50eaec0-2fbf-414f-81e2-142d63637a43
  6. Disk Backup

Disk Backup: I have a neighbor whos PC needs upgrading. Inside is an older HDD and I want to clone everything over to a new SSD. I have an external enclosure for the drive to connect via USB, but it only has one slot so I have no way of connecting both the SSD and the HDD to my desktop at...
  7. backup failure

backup failure: Every time I try to backup my WIN10 pc I get a failure message. I am informed that my empty 500gb external drive is too small for a backup. It appears that I need over 607gig for a backup to work. This seems way over the top to me as c: drive is only 506gb total. Any help...
  8. Backup Failure

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Failure: I'm Nnot my problem will have a solution. Stupidity reigns. Win10 1803.. I backed up a few different ways to my ext drive. I have have backups with xml files and one with zip files. Don't ask me how. I tried restoring and ended up with all the necessary thunderbird files...
  9. Backup fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup fails: Dear reader, Thank you to take some of your precious time to read my post and help me solve the following problem with the system backup Following latest windows update version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 ASUS T200TA ; Windows10 version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 There is no...
  10. Compacting virtual hard disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Compacting virtual hard disks: Compressing a vhdx file in Hyper-V Well I have had fun today trying to compress some vhdx files used in Hyper-V. My VHDXs only had around 15GB of files (10 pro Insider 15061) including hidden files after disk cleanup when in Hyper-V but the vhdx files were around 40 GB/...