Windows 10: The BCDEDIT /enum command does not show entire BCD Store..

Discus and support The BCDEDIT /enum command does not show entire BCD Store.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am using Win 10 Pro 18362.267 with an Admin command prompt. When I type in bcdedit /enum I get only the listing of a normal bcdedit command, not a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Saltgrass, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Saltgrass Win User

The BCDEDIT /enum command does not show entire BCD Store..

I am using Win 10 Pro 18362.267 with an Admin command prompt. When I type in bcdedit /enum I get only the listing of a normal bcdedit command, not a complete BCD store listing.

I used the help (/?) and the command shows to be valid but still only shows the Bootmgr and OSLoader entries. Since I am trying to check the Recovery section this is no help. The bcdedit /v command seems to work normally.

Is anyone aware of some change done recently to the command which would explain this? I have checked two of my systems and they both do the same thing. The date of the bcdedit utility is 7/27/2019, 471K and the version agrees with the build number.

If no one has a fix, I will report this to the feedback hub.

Thanks for reading..

:)

Saltgrass, Aug 9, 2019

2. BootRec /RebuildBCD - BCDEdit /Enum - Reconcile Differences Between New & Old BCD

According to BING (define:GUID) GUID means "Globally Unique IDentifier" ; )

FWIW you have just made me do a bcdedit /enum ALL /v too and it's making me wonder the same thing about trying a BCD fix of some kind because that is showing me stuff that I imagine must surely be redundant if not broken. Also, why do the GUIDs differ
    only somewhere in the middle and not more clearly at the end? At first I thought some were merely duplicates but on closer inspection found that they were actually different, at least by the identifier.

The only element which does not have that in mine is Firmware Boot Manager

Firmware Boot Manager

---------------------

identifier {a5a30fa2-3d06-4e9f-b5f4-a01df9d1fcba}

displayorder {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}

{a802b872-0333-11e7-8482-806e6f6e6963}

timeout 2

Apparently mine are: Windows Boot Manager (EFI) and a USB drive (DThe BCDEDIT /enum command does not show entire BCD Store.. :) I hadn't noticed this and don't know exactly how to make it show. No sign of any
    Onboard NIC.

I imagine that what you are noticing mostly is a difference caused by using the /V switch. For example all of your new Inherit items are GUID but the ones you imply might be missing are "well-known identifiers". Ah. And another difference will be due
    to using /enum ALL in one case but not in the other.

OMG. Look at this.

PS>bcdedit --% /enum {GlobalSettings}

Global Settings

---------------

identifier {globalsettings}

inherit {dbgsettings}

{emssettings}

{badmemory}

badmemoryaccess Yes

PS>bcdedit --% /enum {GlobalSettings} /v

Global Settings

---------------

identifier {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

inherit {4636856e-540f-4170-a130-a84776f4c654}

{0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}

{5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2}

badmemoryaccess Yes

I bet that helps with Finds in here. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Aug 9, 2019
  3. BootRec /RebuildBCD - BCDEdit /Enum - Reconcile Differences Between New & Old BCD

Thanks for your input, Robert.

(1) I edited the proper meaning of GUID - Globally Unique Identifier - into my original post.

(I memorized GUI - Graphical User Interface - so well - I'll never
    know what GUID is without help!)

(2) No. I'm comparing the small & the big ENUMs of my fresh BCD against their counterparts in BCD_Build_14393. That was the good one before the mishap. In each case, the latter is bigger, even discounting it has two Safe Mode boot options.

(3) All of those settings I listed - except "badmemoryaccess Yes" - are in BCD_Build_14393, but not in the fresh BCD.

(4) "badmemoryaccess Yes" is all over the fresh BCD, but in the old one in only one place: Windows Memory Diagnostic. Here is all I know so far...

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /? types bootapp

...snip...

Memory

======

BADMEMORYACCESS (bool) Allows an application to use the memory described by the bad memory list.

BADMEMORYLIST (integerlist) Defines the list of Page Frame Numbers describing faulty memory in the system.

TRUNCATEMEMORY (integer) Disregard all memory at or above the specified physical address.

AVOIDLOWMEMORY (integer) Avoid using memory below the specified physical address in the boot loader

as much as possible.

...snip...

Questions

(a) I appear to have no "BADMEMORYLIST" - so why a "BADMEMORYACCESS"?

(b) Even if I did have a list - why access bad memory - except for Windows Memory Diagnostic?

I lean heavily toward making the fresh BCD look like the old one in that respect. That is, I want to remove it from everything except the Windows Memory Diagnostic. What do you think? It was like that for quite a long while before the mishap, after all.

(5) So...

Fresh BCD

Firmware Boot Manager

---------------------

{51a43691-16a7-11e7-a171-ad6acdb1a9b8}

{51a43692-16a7-11e7-a171-ad6acdb1a9b8}

timeout 0

Old BCD

Firmware Boot Manager

---------------------

{95130c48-6678-11e4-a2b2-948cf6f8336d}

{95130c49-6678-11e4-a2b2-948cf6f8336d}

timeout 1

Your BCD

Firmware Boot Manager

---------------------

{a802b872-0333-11e7-8482-806e6f6e6963}

timeout 2

I'm thinking this refers to the BIOS boot option screen, accessed by holding F12 (or whatever) at boot. I've got two Onboard NIC options there, which I've never used (& probably never will). I think they would allow me to boot directly to
    someone's network. Windows Boot Manager also shows up there. It used to be I had a "UEFI: TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW SU208GB" entry there as well - but it dropped off one day fooling with it. And I am glad of that, because it wouldn't boot to a UEFI DVD (Rescue Disc
    or Windows 10 Installation DVD). Now, the option shows up only when a DVD is inserted before boot - & it
    does boot UEFI.

But I wonder why "timeout 1" never caused the screen to go away in a second. Can it be I am guessing wrong what that screen is? I'm not overly worried over "timeout 0", if it behaves as the other did.

I'm glad to see our GUIDs Firmware Boot Manager identifier & Windows Boot Manager identifier are the same. I guess those are standard. Now, I've compared all the identifiers in my new & old BCD - &
    none of the others are the same.

For instance, "Window 10" had identifier {45c3f7b3-3670-11e5-834c-4cbb581d403a}, but "Windows 10 Home" (the new one) has {51a43694-16a7-11e7-a171-ad6acdb1a9b8}. And the new one is in the registry this many times, (while the old one is there just once)...

The BCDEDIT /enum command does not show entire BCD Store.. 5f18035f-db97-4325-b3ec-08c681695d14.png

Not sure what that means - but I hesitate to copy the old one over the new. If I want the settings & entries of the old one - probably it will be best to use BCDEdit to achieve it. At least, until/unless I know more.

(6) I only have globalsettings in the old one, & it looked exactly like yours -
    except for "badmemoryaccess yes"...

C:\Windows\system32>BCDEdit /Store C:\STUFF\BCD_Build_14393 /enum {GlobalSettings}

Global Settings

---------------

identifier {globalsettings}

inherit {dbgsettings}

{emssettings}

{badmemory}

C:\Windows\system32>BCDEdit /Store C:\STUFF\BCD_Build_14393 /enum {GlobalSettings} /v

Global Settings

---------------

identifier {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

inherit {4636856e-540f-4170-a130-a84776f4c654}

{0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}

{5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2}

The new one has plenty of badmemoryaccess, but no globalsettings...

C:\Windows\system32>BCDEdit /enum {GlobalSettings} /v

There are no matching objects or the store is empty.

PCR Just PCR, Aug 9, 2019
  4. The BCDEDIT /enum command does not show entire BCD Store..

BootRec /RebuildBCD - BCDEdit /Enum - Reconcile Differences Between New & Old BCD

So, I found this, & it has the ring of truth...

Why "badmemoryaccess yes"?

Why "badmemoryaccess yes"?

The multitude of "badmemoryaccess Yes" only showed up for me in my fresh BCD
    after
    having entered & exited the Windows 8.1 recovery environment. Before that, it was only in Windows Memory Tester -
    just as in my BCD_Build_14393 (the good one before the mishap). So, as Vladimir said in there: Booting to Win 8.1 (even just a recovery partition) will flood the BCD with silly "badmemoryaccess Yes" entries.

I wanted at first to rebuild my BCD again - this time not booting to the Win 8.1 recovery partition afterwards & just progressing immediately to the ReagentC - but decided instead on a series of "BCDEdit /deletevalue", such as (using the "well known" name
    when available)...

BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BootMgr} badmemoryaccess

BCDEdit /DeleteValue {Current} badmemoryaccess

BCDEdit /DeleteValue {51a43691-16a7-11e7-a171-ad6acdb1a9b8} badmemoryaccess

BCDEdit /DeleteValue {51a43692-16a7-11e7-a171-ad6acdb1a9b8} badmemoryaccess

And each one said, "The operation completed successfully" & immediately was gone from the BCD. (However, a reboot is necessary before any settings change actually takes effect.)

That left "badmemoryaccess" only where it belonged: in Windows Memory Tester...

Windows Memory Tester

---------------------

identifier {memdiag}

device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1

path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\memtest.efi

description Windows Memory Diagnostic

locale en-US

badmemoryaccess Yes

So - that's that for that one!

PCR Just PCR, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

The BCDEDIT /enum command does not show entire BCD Store..

1. The BCDEDIT /enum command does not show entire BCD Store.. - Similar Threads - BCDEDIT enum command

2. Bcdedit /set correct command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bcdedit /set correct command: What is the correct one cuz im a bit confused about it as some say one to another and it just really confused me....i want to disable it and if i did understand it should be True as false will forcesnoop if im right.bcdedit /set hypervisorloadoptions NOFORCESNOOPor bcdedit...
  3. Bcdedit /set correct command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bcdedit /set correct command: What is the correct one cuz im a bit confused about it as some say one to another and it just really confused me....i want to disable it and if i did understand it should be True as false will forcesnoop if im right.bcdedit /set hypervisorloadoptions NOFORCESNOOPor bcdedit...
  4. Bcdedit /set correct command

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup -this command shows that the store export operation...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup -this command shows that the store export operation...: I have been facing a problem. When I turned on my pc it showed please choose an option:Exit and continue to ' ' . Now I have solved that problem but now it is stuck in the motherboard logo loading screen. Sometimes it shows recovery error code 0xc0000001. I tried to fix that...
  6. Windows bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup -this command shows that the store export operation...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup -this command shows that the store export operation...: I have been facing a problem. When I turned on my pc it showed please choose an option:Exit and continue to ' ' . Now I have solved that problem but now it is stuck in the motherboard logo loading screen. Sometimes it shows recovery error code 0xc0000001. I tried to fix that...
  7. Windows bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup -this command shows that the store export operation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Bcdedit commands

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bcdedit commands: Recently I saw a video using these commands to fix a game that won't launch and I'm curious as to what these commands do bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF bcdedit -set NOINTEGRITYCHECKS OFF Thanks...
  9. BCDEDIT Command after Win10 Reinstallation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BCDEDIT Command after Win10 Reinstallation?: I had issues with BitLocker PIN prompt in the past similar to the below discussion. BitLocker with TPM and PIN - Laptop shuts down after 60 seconds The solution was this: open up command prompt window as administrator: type in this command: bcdedit /set {bootmgr}...
  10. BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid"

in Windows 10 Support
    BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid": I am using Windows PowerShell (Admin). My command line is this: "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi" I had used this exact command line before and it did work. Now it says "The set command specified is not valid". It makes no sense. So I am suspecting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bcedit \enum not working