Windows 10: The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed

Discus and support The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi there when will people EVER learn that AV reports are 100% A WASTE OF TIME. A new virus could spring up at any time rendering all previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Nov 23, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed

Hi there
    when will people EVER learn that AV reports are 100% A WASTE OF TIME. A new virus could spring up at any time rendering all previous statistics out of date and obsolete.

This seems to be the last roll of the dice for desperate AV software companies who know that people actually don't need that stuff any more on W10 -- Windows defender is quite adequate and these days you are more likely to get scammed or hacked by simple methods such as opening email attachments or giving out personal information on the web.

Even Malwarebytes which seems to be hugely popular isn't really worth it any more.

Surf safely, be very careful in what you download (look for "hidden special offers" etc) and above all check what you download is really what you want -- these days download sites often make the real download hard to find amongst a load of other "trial, crap and adware") so double / triple check before clicking the mouse.

Always take a lot of backups too so you can restore if something horrible does get on to your machine.

As the previous poster says PUPS are likely to be more of a nuisance than viruses and software can't defend against those.

(My remarks here are for Home / Personal computers -- corporate sites do need defending against all sorts of things - not only against Viruses either).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 25, 2015
  2. OldMike65 Win User

Malwarebytes will REMOVE PUP's very well, their is a free version available. Check out their web site, for a list of their programs.
    I own the Pro version myself.

OldMike65, Nov 25, 2015
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    And how pray tell me do you "define" a PUP -- if it's a legitimate windows program then unless you get a definition from some sort of database then how does the AV program know it's a PUP or a legitimate windows program.

Also if you rely on definitions in a database then you might exclude a program which you really want.

The best way of controlling things like PUPS if you are unfortunate enough to get one is to set up your Firewall properly to check in and outbound stuff and also most decent routers have hardware firewalls too -- although if you have a cable box this is probably unlikely.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 25, 2015
  4. batlhilz Win User

i dont need any tests to tell that 100% of the time, the best firewall and AV is between the bench and the monitor.

batlhilz, Nov 25, 2015
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Well jimbo you are talking about TWO different types of programs. Malwarebtyes is a Anti-Malware program, which mainly checks for PUP's and also monitors where you go thur your web browser too. It can check for virus types too, but mainly checks for other types of Malware. Now for an anti-virus program like defender or other anti-virus programs what they try to do is scan for virus infections on your hard drive AFTER you get infected. You can have a router installed which is also suppose to give you protection, and a firewall installed too, which is suppose to also protect your computer. Do these work 100% of the time protecting your computer, NO they do not jimbo!!! If a person wants to improve their protection, by installing MORE protection for their systems, by using programs which scan for Malware and virus's and DO HELP PROTECT their systems, depending on how good these programs are, because some of these don't do as good a job as others. Just like some firewalls are better than other firewalls. I see no reason for YOU to slam any user asking information about what program they should use. These people are just asking for help in this area, definitions updates from programs like Malwarebytes is updated TWICE a DAY, EVERY DAY!!! Same with a program like Norton, which some folks use, and some folks hate, but it also updates its definitions 2 to 3 times daily!!!
    Plus their is a BIG difference between a PUP and a actual virus too.

Bottom line everyone has their own way of protection, their own choice of what program they want to use. And also the right to ASK for advice of what they should consider to use for protection from PUP's and Virus's. Good programs like Malwarebytes AND Norton's KNOW the difference between Legitimate Windows programs and those that are not sir!!! Also these programs will offer you a choice of re-storing a PUP if you choose too. They have many options available to the user if they choose to re-store these PUP's.

If you don't want to use any of these programs, that is YOUR right to do so, and I respect that right. Just like I think you should respect other people's rights to RUN them if they choose to have MORE protection, than just Windows firewall, and Windows Defender.
    Peace and to everyone today, I wish a Great and Happy Thanksgiving day Too!!!!
    Mike.

OldMike65, Nov 25, 2015
  6. mickey Win User
    Personally German's take to much pride in their work and strive to.be No1, I would trust the test & results.

mickey, Nov 25, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Oh dear -- you a) haven't actually answered the question on how an AV program is supposed to distinguish between a "Legitimate Windows program" and a "Rogue" Windows program which could contain no virus whatsoever but just be a plain nuisance --such as a typical PUP.

That was the reply I was querying when a poster said Malwarebytes couldn't really defend against PUPS. You implied that it could and I was merely asking HOW. I wasn't asking about protection against Viruses / Trojans or some other types of malware.

b) Windows defender DOES give REAL TIME PROTECTION - and anybody who thinks it doesn't is confusing it with the earlier version which ran on W7.

The current version of Windows defender (Windows 10) is built into the windows kernel and is based on the earlier Enterprise program Forefront Security essentials.

It's actually quite good.

Of course batch scanning for any infected files is also a good idea but to suggest that Windows defender doesn't provide real time protection is just plain wrong.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 25, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

YES I DID if you read everything I posted.....

Don't think I said windows defender wasn't any good, but, their ARE better choices than defender.

OldMike65, Nov 25, 2015
  9. Enterprise security apps get enhanced adware blockers - Only available for enterprise users

The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed [​IMG]

Microsoft has just announced that enterprise Windows users can benefit from enhanced adware protection thanks to a new opt-in feature that can spot and stop potentially unwanted applications (PUA) from reaching their computers.

First and foremost, what’s very important to note is that this is an opt-in feature available exclusively to enterprise users, so administrators need to manually enable it if they want enhanced protection against PUA.

Only available for enterprise users

Then, the new adware protection system is only available in the company's System Center Endpoint Protection and Forefront Endpoint Protection solutions, with Microsoft saying that potentially unwanted applications will be blocked at download and install time.

“These applications can increase the risk of your network being infected with malware, cause malware infections to be harder to identify among the noise, and can waste helpdesk, IT, and user time cleaning up the applications,” Microsoft explains.

“Since the stakes are higher in an enterprise environment, the potential disaster that PUA brings can be a cause of concern. Hence, it is important to deliver trusted protection in this field.”

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/micro...s-496755.shtml

Cluster Head, Nov 25, 2015
  10. larc919 Win User
    It would be great to see this trickle down at least to Pro, maybe a new Redstone feature.

larc919, Nov 25, 2015
  11. dencal Win User
    You really must stop trying to portray others as being inferior to yourself regarding opinions on the efficiency of AV reports.
    Particular emphasis on your part by the use of capital letters.

Your above quote " A new virus could spring up at any time rendering all previous statistics out of date and obsolete."
    That is nonsense, if you take into account Heuristics, ie:- any change from the norm taken from previous scans is instantly noted.

dencal, Nov 25, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    Even biggie ones like Kasperski admitted that AV protection is not all that it's cracked to be. Those so called AV reports are just as heavily biased as benchmarks coming from Intel and AMD, practically useless. Judging by some questions and comments it's never too much to remind about limited usefulness of AVs. Heuristics or not, all the AVs are better at being medicine rather than prevention.

CountMike, Nov 25, 2015
  13. dencal Win User

Not for one minute am I suggesting that AV suits are 100% fool proof, but better some protection than none at all.
    In the fairly recent past I posted on this forum that a particular friend asked me to sort out his problematic computer.
    Scans with Adwcleaner and Hitman Pro identified literally hundreds of PUPs, and what was he using as AV protection. Kasperski.

dencal, Nov 25, 2015
  14. Wenda Win User
    I ran Avira for years with no problems, but had an issue with it on an early W8 beta so started using Defender.

The W7 machine still runs it, and (not that it's needed) so does the Vista/XP box.

I also have MalwareBytes on the W8.1/W10 machine (full) and the W7 and Vista/XP machines (trial), it works well and can be run concurrently with the AV program without clashing.

Wenda, Nov 25, 2015
  15. dencal Win User
    The reason I dumped Defender and installed Avira, my browser was high jacked whilst browsing using Edge, which supposedly is beefed up security wise compared to IE.
    My presumption being if two M$ products together could not protect me, go for two separate ones.
    Hence Edge and Avira.

dencal, Nov 26, 2015
Thema:

1. The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed - Similar Threads - Best Antivirus Revealed

2. Which antivirus is the best for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which antivirus is the best for Windows 10: I have reinstalled a new fresh window 10 in my PC after my pc was infected by a ransom virus UYJH I recovered some of my files using a stellar data recovery I formatted all partitions just I have finished the recovery process I checked my pc many times using different removal...
  3. which is the best antivirus for windows 10.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    which is the best antivirus for windows 10.: i want to install an antivirus which protects my pc from online downloading viruses. check this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/which-is-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10/d1da7cff-5f30-4bef-9f97-95e4a85ce7b6
  4. Best antivirus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best antivirus?: In your opinion, which program is the best antivirus for windows? Paid or not paid. submitted by /u/fermarx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iv2oiz/best_antivirus/
  5. Best antivirus program for Windows 10?

Best antivirus program for Windows 10?: I'm looking for the best antivirus program for Windows 10, and on the Internet there are numerous comparisons with always different results. Maybe someone can help me with this. Bestes Antivirenprogramm für Windows 10?
  6. Best antivirus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best antivirus?: I'm pretty careful on the web but I know I'm not immune to viruses. I currently use Windows Defender as my traditional antivirus and occasional scans from Malwarebytes Free to catch more advanced malware that Defender might miss. Is there anything wrong with this setup? I've...
  7. Best antivirus for Windows 10 64?

Best antivirus for Windows 10 64?: I know that's a bit vague, given the number of ways antivirus can be 'good' and 'bad' but what I'd word it as is: What do you guys use? Are any of the commercial products truly trustworthy? Aren't the big site reviews just an influenced ad for the products which win...
  8. best antivirus

best antivirus: I am just using windows defender and malware bytes.I there a better anti-virus program that does not use a lot of rescources that someone could suggest thanks ,jason 106844
  9. Best antivirus?

Best antivirus?: I have read through thread and I don't see any big group agreeing on one. I know I don't like Norton, been using avp... which is best? 52140
  10. Best antivirus for Windows 10

Best antivirus for Windows 10: Hello, I have a question regarding antivirus programs on windows 10 - though this will also extend to windows 7 and windows 8.1. My new windows 10 laptop came preinstalled with McAfee, and the trial has almost expired - hence, I uninstalled McAfee because it likes to...