Windows 10: The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary

Discus and support The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft started to experiment with search and the search field of its Windows 11 operating system some time ago. One of Microsoft's latest addition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 20, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary

Microsoft started to experiment with search and the search field of its Windows 11 operating system some time ago. One of Microsoft's latest addition was the display of icons in the search field that depicted a special event that Microsoft picked for the day. Microsoft calls the feature Search Highlights.

Now, more and more Windows 11 users are seeing a bigger search field on the Windows 11 taskbar. Microsoft placed it next to the Start icon and before any pinned icons. Windows 11 users who configured the taskbar alignment to be left, have the widgets icon placed on the right side of the search field.

The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary big-search-field-taskbar-windows-11.png

Activation of search opens the main search interface. It is divided in two main columns: the left displays suggestions, e.g., apps to start, tips or suggestions, and the right content from the Web.

While that may be useful to some Windows 11 users, most may dislike it.

The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary windows-11-search.png

In contrast, opening Start displays pinned programs and, if still enabled, recommendations. Start includes search functionality as well, and the results window is actually using the Search interface.

In other words: it does not matter if a user searches from Start or the Search field, the resulting page is identical.

Why then keep the Search field enabled? Suggestions are basic and not useful to the majority of users. Some users may appreciate web results, but opening any browser displays similar content. Windows 11 users who like it can open the MSN website to get similar content.

It is easy enough to remove search. One additional advantage of doing so is that there is more space for icons on the taskbar.

Here is how you remove the Search field from Windows 11's taskbar:

1. Right-click on a blank spot on the Windows 11 taskbar and select Taskbar Settings. Alternatively, if there is no blank space left, open Start > Settings > Personalization > Taskbar to get there.
    2. The Taskbar Items group at the top of the page that opens lists Search as one of the elements that users may display or hide. Just toggle it to off, and search is no longer displayed.

The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary turn-off-search-windows-11.png

A click on Start, or a tap on the Windows-key opens the search options of the Start Menu. Just tap Windows and start to write to run a search on the system.

Closing Words

Microsoft pushes search on Windows for a specific reason, and it is not for the benefit of the user. Third party tools like the excellent Everything search or a Start replacement app, like Start11, are good options to skip the default Windows 11 search options entirely.

Now You: do you use the built-in search on Windows, or an alternative?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 20, 2022

2. Taskbar search

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly send us a screenshot and provide more details by answering the following questions:

• When you say "taskbar search function", do you mean the Start menu search field?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon accessing the taskbar search?
    Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, we suggest that you run the System file checker and DISM tool to fix issues with corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type or copy these commands followed by hitting Enter:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Do let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Nov 20, 2022
  3. C.R.Akita Win User
    Windows 11 taskbar search no longer searches the web

Until a recent update, the magnifying glass icon available for the taskbar searched both the web and the local computer/network. Now, it no longer searches the web. At the top of the widgets area, there is a search the web field, but I really want the ability to search from the icon on the taskbar. Suggestions?

C.R.Akita, Nov 20, 2022
  4. D. Joe Win User

Taskbar search

Did not do anything to help. The search in File Explorer works fine. The first and last screen shot shows a search leading to no results but the file explorer finds them just fine. The last one shows my indexing options.

Thank you

PS: can't get the screenshots to upload....

D. Joe, Nov 20, 2022
Thema:

1. The big search field on Windows 11's taskbar is unnecessary - Similar Threads - big search field

2. Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is experimenting with a search widget on Windows 11's taskbar: Microsoft runs several experiments in the latest Windows 11 version 23H2 build that place widgets in different locations on the taskbar for some setups. [ATTACH] One of the latest experiments places a search field on the leftmost position of the Windows 11 taskbar, if...
  3. Address field on Windows 11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Address field on Windows 11 taskbar: In Windows 10 I used to have an address field on the taskbar. This made it easy to return to sites that I often use. Has this facility gone in Windows 11?...
  4. Address field on Windows 11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Address field on Windows 11 taskbar: In Windows 10 I used to have an address field on the taskbar. This made it easy to return to sites that I often use. Has this facility gone in Windows 11?...
  5. Webpage search field

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Webpage search field: When I type in a search field from any website (google, reddit, yahoo) on either Chrome or Explorer, the suggestions are not highlighted as I scroll through them with the down arrow. Anyone knows a fix for this? submitted by /u/K3N5T3R [link] [comments]...
  6. Search field in taskbar and file explorer does not work

in Cortana
    Search field in taskbar and file explorer does not work: Hi I bought my computer last week and installed Windows 10 last friday. yesterday i suddenly had problems with using the file ewplorer search function, and I don't know how to make it work again...
  7. Explorer Search Field/Folder Search Field is not working/unavailable

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Search Field/Folder Search Field is not working/unavailable: Hello, I am experiencing a weird issue, my Explorer search field/Folder search field seems not working: 1. When I click on it nothing happens, no blinking cursor appears as it should, to input searching query, nothing. 2. When I use combination Ctrl+F, I can input only 1...
  8. Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

in Cortana
    Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working: I have tried all these suggested fixes and none of them fix either of the two problems. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/file-explorer-search-not-working.html I am wondering if anyone else had this dual problem? I see there is a Powershell script I can run...
  9. Search field in bottom taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search field in bottom taskbar: Hi there I have made a large update of Windows 10 (which I couldn´t chose myself) and the first thing i find, to my great irritation, is a big white ugly search field to the left of the task bar. How do I remove that? BR, Staffan Söderlund...
  10. Unnecessary Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Unnecessary Search: I write my own programs. And if they don't work I get: "Windows is checking for a solution to this problem" Then it goes off into a big search, that I have to cancel. If I don't know what's wrong, my program will tell me. I don't need any help from Microsoft....