Windows 10: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been...

Discus and support The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello to everyone. At the beginning I'd installed windows 10 with the legacy BIOS-MBR boot mode,but since I needed a Windows 10 installation that was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by marietto2008, Sep 19, 2020.

1. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been...

Hello to everyone.

At the beginning I'd installed windows 10 with the legacy BIOS-MBR boot mode,but since I needed a Windows 10 installation that was able to boot using the EFI partition style,I have converted the partition scheme from MBR to EFI with a tool and after this operation I have reinstalled Windows 10 from an old backup. This backup comes from the old BIOS/MBR installation of Windows 10. When I tried to boot Windows,I realized that it was not able to do that no error message.but blinking cursor. because the EFI partition didn't exist. So,I have created a new FAT32 partition and I have repaired the EFI partition following this guide :

How to Restore Deleted EFI System Partition in Windows 10? Windows OS Hub

it worked,infact I can use Windows 10 again,but only partially. Infact,since I need to put the "TESTSIGNING ON",when I give this command

Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

I get this error :

The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.

I tried a lot of methods to fix it,but right now unsuccesfully. Can someone help me ? thanks.

:)

marietto2008, Sep 19, 2020
  2. dictum Win User

bcdedit: The boot configuration data store could not be opened

I used Macrium Reflect to clone a disk onto another disk and now all BCD data has disappeared. When I run bcdedit, I get this:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

EasyBCD doesn't find a file either.

Should I run bootrec /rebuildbcd?

Or do I have to do the sequence of:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixbcd
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Any other ideas before I run the above?

Also x:\boot\bcd is missing on all 3 disks that are bootable with Windows 10 (they are all clones).

- - - Updated - - -

The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been... [​IMG]

And these are the bootable disks, C:, G: and F:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been... [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

There is also this procedure:

How to Rebuild the BCD in Windows

and this:

Windows 10 doesn't boot anymore after flagging partion as active

and this:

Which tool to recover the EFI partition? Booted into Rescue Disk

dictum, Sep 19, 2020
  3. dictum Win User
    bcdedit: The boot configuration data store could not be opened

It was done in the post #1 above.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

do you think that's going to rebuild the BCD store issue?

- - - Updated - - -

dictum, Sep 19, 2020
  4. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been...

Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information WINDOWS 10

Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information

Upon reboot, I ge the following message:
    "Recovery
    Your PC needs to be repaired
    The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.
    File: \BCD
    Error Code: 0x000000d

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media, If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer."

I've followed steps of doing bootrec/rebuildbcd - it says "add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A) - I've tried to select Yes and All but it comes up with the requested system device cannot be found.

I really don't want to lose my data so any suggestions would be great?

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate / PC**

AimeeReid123, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been...

1. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been... - Similar Threads - boot configuration data

2. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is deniedThe file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum....
  3. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is deniedThe file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum....
  4. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Boot configuration data file error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot configuration data file error: Hello, my PC started having issue when the wifi connection fot disconnected then it froze. Once I tried to connect to wifi by right clicking and selecting MANUAL connection, the blue screen appears as photo below. [ATTACH] Then the system restarted and the another blue...
  6. The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened

The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened: Hello to everyone. At the beginning I'd installed windows 10 with the legacy BIOS-MBR boot mode,but since I needed a Windows 10 installation that was able to boot using the EFI partition style,I have converted the partition scheme from MBR to UEFI with a tool and after this...
  7. BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened: I am trying to use the BCDEdit command from Windows 10 Boot Media 1803. However, whenever I try to run the command, the following text is returned: X:\Sources>bcdedit The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be identified...
  8. bcdedit: The boot configuration data store could not be opened

in Windows 10 Support
    bcdedit: The boot configuration data store could not be opened: I used Macrium Reflect to clone a disk onto another disk and now all BCD data has disappeared. When I run bcdedit, I get this: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified. EasyBCD doesn't find a file either. Should I...
  9. The boot configuration data store could not be opened

in Windows 10 News
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]BCD or Boot Configuration Data files contain instructions that are needed by Windows to boot correctly. If you have a problem booting up your computer, the chances are that is caused by a misconfiguration or even corrupted BCD files. If while [...] This post...
  10. Boot Configuration Data Error

Boot Configuration Data Error: I have a custom built PC it had installed Windows 10 on it. I was using it last night and this morning I woke up to a Recovery Error. It says “Your PC/Device needs to be repaired...The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors...File: \Boot\BCD...Error...