Windows 10: The chevron (>>) character in a blue box icon overlay explained

Discus and support The chevron (>>) character in a blue box icon overlay explained in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In some of our earlier posts, for eg – 2 small blue arrow overlays which appear on desktop icons, overlay icon on encrypted files &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 17, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

The chevron (>>) character in a blue box icon overlay explained

WinClub, Nov 17, 2019

2. Blue check overlay Icons

How do I get rid of the double check blue box icon overlay on my photo file icons

BarreBarrett, Nov 17, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Question: Embedded Icon on certain files

Hi Skier1859,

Are you running Norton 360, then these icon overlays are caused by that app . . .

If so:

A chevron (>>) character in a blue box indicates a file that’s been changed since its last backup.

A check in a green box means the file’s backup is current

DaveM121, Nov 17, 2019
  4. The chevron (>>) character in a blue box icon overlay explained

How to remove/resize double arrow (blue box) overlay on file icons

Hi,

Thank you for posting your posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please reply: Are you using a third party antivirus software?

These icon overlays occur when you have a third party antivirus installed which created a backup, thus showing a checkmark or double arrow (blue box) overlay along with the icon. The icon displayed in the screenshot indicates that the file has been changed
    by its last back.

Therefore, If you do not wish to see these overlays I would suggest you to go to the third party antivirus settings and
    remove/uncheck Backup status indicators.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

The chevron (>>) character in a blue box icon overlay explained

1. The chevron (>>) character in a blue box icon overlay explained - Similar Threads - chevron character blue

2. Desktop Icons : Dreaded Blue box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons : Dreaded Blue box: I'm not sure if its possible, but I really don't like the blue boxes that appear by default on some of the application icons. I have tried everything to get rid of these blue boxes and nothing seems to work. Its a small aesthetic detail, but its driving me crazy. Can someone...
  3. Box Drive's placeholder/offline file's custom icons or overlay icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Box Drive's placeholder/offline file's custom icons or overlay icons: Hi,Based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/how-to-create-icon-handlers article we have implemented a change of custom icons of various files in the Windows file explorer. When same is being used for box synced folder placeholder file's callback for...
  4. Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons: Hi,Based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/how-to-create-icon-handlers article we have implemented a change of custom icons of various files in the Windows file explorer. When same is being used for box synced folder placeholder file's callback for...
  5. Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons: Hi,Based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/how-to-create-icon-handlers article we have implemented a change of custom icons of various files in the Windows file explorer. When same is being used for box synced folder placeholder file's callback for...
  6. Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons

7. Random icon overlays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Random icon overlays: I'm using just a very simple desktop which I've configured to look like Windows XP, so it is not complicated. I use shortcuts on my desktop and they should be showing an overlay a little northeast arrow indicating the icon is a shortcut. A few times daily, randomly, it...
  8. Explorer chevrons

Explorer chevrons: For Explorer is there a way to ensure that the last chevron in the breadcrumb bar is hidden when there are no sub folders in the current directory? 179311
  9. Show hidden icons chevron missing some individual icons…

in Windows 10 Support
    Show hidden icons chevron missing some individual icons…: Hi, I seem to remember the show hidden icons chevron at the bottom right of the screen always showed a shield shaped icon with a tick confirming there was no security problems. If there was a problem the tick changed to an exclamation mark (I think I have the description...
  10. overlay on notification icon

in Windows 10 Support
    overlay on notification icon: Windows 10 64 bit Pro version 1511 [img] Anyone know what that circled bar is trying to tell me, there were no outstanding notifications in Action Centre pop-out. After a while I noticed it had it disappeared. As I'm writing this, I might have figured what it was....