Windows 10: The "Choose where to get apps" option doesn't work anymore

Discus and support The "Choose where to get apps" option doesn't work anymore in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I have a small issue that has been bothering me for a week now. I like to keep my PC secure so I enabled the "Choose where to get apps" option... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SigmaTheFox, Sep 25, 2019.

1. The "Choose where to get apps" option doesn't work anymore

Hello, I have a small issue that has been bothering me for a week now.

I like to keep my PC secure so I enabled the "Choose where to get apps" option and set it to Anywhere, but warn before installing an app that's not from the Microsoft Store ... It was working perfectly fine until a few days ago.

It used to warn me even if I ran a portable app like Putty (to connect to my raspberry pi), but now it doesn't even warn me if I try to install something from outside the store even if I set it to The Microsoft Store only setting.

It randomly stopped working when I tried to run Putty to check my raspberry, I remember the window popping up and then instantly disappearing, to then never come back again.

I'm running Windows 10 1903 build 18362.295 (I know this is not the latest build, but I've read about a lot of issues with the latest cumulative updates so I'm trying to avoid those ones until those issues get fixed)

I already tried sfc /scannow and even reinstalled/reset all windows apps with a powershell command, both with no success.

Is there anything else I could try to fix this issue? (updating/reinstalling windows or in place upgrade excluded).

It's not a huge problem, but I'd still like to keep my pc safe from random installs coming from outside the Microsoft Store.

Thanks in advance.

:)

SigmaTheFox, Sep 25, 2019

2. Scanner doesn´t work anymore after last Windows 10 update

As many people on the internet already are discussing, their scanner doesn´t work anymore after the last Windows update. But there seem to be no solution.

My Scanner starts making noises, as usual, and then i get error messages: "Communication with the scanner is not possible"
    or this

The "Choose where to get apps" option doesn't work anymore [​IMG]

Is there a workaround for that?

tronrontron, Sep 25, 2019
  3. bobkn Win User
    Scanner doesn´t work anymore after last Windows 10 update

I dunno.

Re-install the TWAIN drivers? (They are not included in Windows.)

You might get a better answer if you gave the make and model of the scanner.

bobkn, Sep 25, 2019
  4. BetoLP Win User

The "Choose where to get apps" option doesn't work anymore

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

The "Choose where to get apps" option doesn't work anymore [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

The "Choose where to get apps" option doesn't work anymore

1. The "Choose where to get apps" option doesn't work anymore - Similar Threads - Choose where apps

2. My advanced app setting doesn't have the choose where to get apps from option at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My advanced app setting doesn't have the choose where to get apps from option at all: I went to install opera gx and found out I had to change settings first but it won't let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-advanced-app-setting-doesnt-have-the-choose/4b2d7abd-5397-4a06-b820-78c701d2d1c2
  3. Choose where to get apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Choose where to get apps?: How to change: "Choose where to get apps?" I have buyed new computer just for work with Roland printers and now i cant download software VersaWorks6, because its not Microsoft verified app and its not possible to get it on Microsoft store?!! What is Windows 11 Home in S mode?...
  4. Choose where to get apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose where to get apps?: How to change: "Choose where to get apps?" I have buyed new computer just for work with Roland printers and now i cant download software VersaWorks6, because its not Microsoft verified app and its not possible to get it on Microsoft store?!! What is Windows 11 Home in S mode?...
  5. Why is Choose Where to get apps missing as an option?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Choose Where to get apps missing as an option?: Why is Choose Where to get apps missing as an option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-choose-where-to-get-apps-missing-as-an/47b4dda5-ed19-4ada-ad50-20fa837fe2e1
  6. Why is Choose Where to get apps missing as an option?

Why is Choose Where to get apps missing as an option?: Why is Choose Where to get apps missing as an option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-choose-where-to-get-apps-missing-as-an/47b4dda5-ed19-4ada-ad50-20fa837fe2e1
  7. No ' Choose where to get apps' option on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No ' Choose where to get apps' option on Windows 11: I am trying to install AVG security on my new HP laptop Windows 11. I'm getting the 'this app not Microsoft verified' message so I have gone into Settings/Apps & can see that Advanced App Settings offers 'chose where to get apps'. But, when I open Advanced App there is no...
  8. No ' Choose where to get apps' option on Windows 11

No ' Choose where to get apps' option on Windows 11: I am trying to install AVG security on my new HP laptop Windows 11. I'm getting the 'this app not Microsoft verified' message so I have gone into Settings/Apps & can see that Advanced App Settings offers 'chose where to get apps'. But, when I open Advanced App there is no...
  9. "Choose where to get apps" doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Choose where to get apps" doesn't exist: i'm the administrator on my laptop but the "choose where to get apps" setting doesn't even exist in settings. i thought i found a way around this by using the "allow an app through firewall" setting on window's security but it still sends me straight to "the app you're trying...
  10. "Choose where to get apps" doesn't exist

"Choose where to get apps" doesn't exist: i'm the administrator on my laptop but the "choose where to get apps" setting doesn't even exist in settings. i thought i found a way around this by using the "allow an app through firewall" setting on window's security but it still sends me straight to "the app you're trying...