Windows 10: "The computer restarted unexpectedly..." error after boot problems

Discus and support "The computer restarted unexpectedly..." error after boot problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After updating to Windows 1903 my computer was showing the message "Reboot and select proper boot device". After following the fix listed here I ran... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pantsface16, Aug 14, 2019.

1. "The computer restarted unexpectedly..." error after boot problems

After updating to Windows 1903 my computer was showing the message "Reboot and select proper boot device". After following the fix listed here I ran into a new problem.
    The first time I booted up my SSD after applying those fixes, I was met with "Windows is updating" screen and its progress was around 48%. After about a minute it restarted itself. Upon booting up I got a message that said "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click “OK” to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

Most of the fixes for this problem suggest using shift+F10 and opening command prompt and going to regedit. But I can't access command prompt no matter what I do. Shift+F10 does not open anything. Pressing OK on the prompt simply restarts the computer and brings me back to the same message. Is there any fix for this besides reinstalling? Thanks in advance.

:)

Pantsface16, Aug 14, 2019
  2. xarzu Win User

My new Vista computer sometimes unexpectedly shuts off. Any suggestions?

My new Vista computer sometimes unexpectedly shuts off. Any suggestions?

xarzu, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Computer restarts itself NO ERROR

Hi Rassias,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer.

What is the make and model of your computer?

If Windows suddenly restarts without warning, or restarts when you try to shut it down, it might be caused by one of several issues. Windows could be set to restart automatically when certain system errors occur. A BIOS update can also resolve the issue.
    Use the information in this document to resolve issues with the computer restarting unexpectedly

Follow the steps in this section, in order, until the problem is resolved.

Step 1: Disabling the automatic restart option to view error messages

Many hardware driver or operating system errors will cause the computer to display a specific error message before stopping the operation or shutting down the computer. However, if the
    Automatically restart option is enabled, an error message might not be displayed despite an error taking place. Disable this option to allow the computer to display the error message.

Follow these steps to disable the Automatically restart option:

• In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.

• Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.

Figure : System Properties window

"The computer restarted unexpectedly..." error after boot problems c04778888.jpg

• Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart under
      System Failure, then click OK.
    • Figure : Automatically restart check box
      "The computer restarted unexpectedly..." error after boot problems c04778889.jpg

• Restart the computer.

Please reply with the results, we are happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Aug 14, 2019
  4. Jessen P Win User

"The computer restarted unexpectedly..." error after boot problems

Getting Error message" The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unxpected error"

Hi Sarah,

I would suggest you to perform the startup repair using the Windows 10 installation media from the below link and check if it helps.

Boot from the Windows 10 installation media and then perform automatic repair and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to perform Automatic repair:

• Insert installation media and restart the computer.
    • Select language and click on Next.
    • Select Repair your Computer and click on Skip this drive.
    • Select Troubleshoot and click on Advanced Options.
    • Here choose the option Automatic Repair and follow the prompted instructions.
    Please revert if the computer still does not start.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

"The computer restarted unexpectedly..." error after boot problems

1. "The computer restarted unexpectedly..." error after boot problems - Similar Threads - computer restarted unexpectedly

2. The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...: I tried resetting my PC Asus it got to 98% and now I keep getting this message - “The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click. Ok to restart the computer, and then restart the...
  3. The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...: I tried resetting my PC Asus it got to 98% and now I keep getting this message - “The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click. Ok to restart the computer, and then restart the...
  4. The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...: So, this is a topic that has been covered elsewhere, but my issue has a further complication.My computer was really slow, so I wanted to do a full reset and wipe everything after doing a backup of my data first.After quite a few hours, the computer had done its wiping and...
  5. The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows...: So, this is a topic that has been covered elsewhere, but my issue has a further complication.My computer was really slow, so I wanted to do a full reset and wipe everything after doing a backup of my data first.After quite a few hours, the computer had done its wiping and...
  6. Computer Restarted Unexpectedly

Computer Restarted Unexpectedly: After about an hour and a half break I returned to my computer and noticed that it restarted unexpectedly. I went to Even Viewer and noticed this error entry:Event 1001, Bug Check param1 0x000000d1 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000,...
  7. Computer Restarted Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Restarted Unexpectedly: After about an hour and a half break I returned to my computer and noticed that it restarted unexpectedly. I went to Even Viewer and noticed this error entry:Event 1001, Bug Check param1 0x000000d1 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000,...
  8. Computer Restarts Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Restarts Unexpectedly: submitted by /u/Trofer15 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8o799/computer_restarts_unexpectedly/
  9. “The computer restarted unexpectedly...”

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    “The computer restarted unexpectedly...”: So I’m currently stuck in a looping “The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.” I’ve tried hitting Shift + F10, but nothing happens. I’m on a Surface laptop right now. Any help would be appreciated. Also cant enter in safe mode...
  10. Error message "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error message "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error"...: the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation I tried to Press shift + F10 but I didn't get cmd. Kindly advice me....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 2004 this computer restarted unexpectedly

2. installi windows cannot install restarted unexpectedly uefi problems

3. computer restarted unexpectedly windows 10 wont boot

4. windows 10 computer restarted unexpectedly,
  5. computer restarted itself and cant boot