Windows 10: The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login

Discus and support The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are trying to establish a remote connection, but you see an error message – The connection was denied because the user account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 12, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login

WinClub, Mar 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 Remote Desktop - The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote logon

Hi Bill,

I would suggest you to check the suggestions provided in the section "Why can’t I connect using Remote Desktop Connection?" in this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remote-desktop-connection-faq#1TC=windows-8

Note: Though this article is for Windows 8.1, the steps mentioned are similar in Windows 10.

Bennet Martin, Mar 12, 2019
  3. tim.baker Win User
    The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized. Windows Server 2012

I am trying to use Remote Desktop to another PC on our domain. If I use an administrators account this works fine, however when I use a normal user it gives the error:

As per these questions I have:

• Set "Allow Log on through Remote Desktop Services" (adding the Remote Desktop Users group).
    • Added the user to the remote desktop services group
    • Set "Allow users to connect remotely by using Remote Desktop Services"
    • Done gpupdate /force several times on the RD host machine

If I go in to Remote Settings > Select Users on RD host and add the domain user "walter.white" that user can then login to the machine from the other PC.

The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login Om3CB.png

I don't want to have to do that on every machine. I want to set it by GP object which I thought would be "Allow Log on through Remote Desktop Services" - as you can see above this group doesn't appear in this dialog (and I guess is the cause of the issue).

I know the GP has taken effect as if run "secpol.msc" and look at "Allow logon through Remote Desktop Services", I do see Remote Desktop Services (as well as Walter White which I added to the GP object).

The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login sJRMa.png

tim.baker, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Dummy Win User

The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login

Remote Desktop from Win10 to Win7

So here's my Remote Desktop Probelm. I frequently need to use RDP to connect to a Windows box at work.

On my Mac, I use FortiClient 5.4 to establish a VPN connection, and then I use Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0 to connect. No problems.

• I can connect to my box (Running Windows 7 Enterprise). No problem.
    • I can connect to another box (on the same subnet) (Running Windows
      Server 2012). No problem.

However, when I'm doing work stuff, I generally boot into Windows 10 on my Mac (via Bootcamp). Then I follow the same steps. I establish a VPN connection with FortiClient 5.4, and then use Remote Desktop, to connect. But there's a problem:

• I cannot connect to my box (Running Windows 7 Enterprise). I get a
      message "The connection was denied because the user account is not
      authorized for remote login" (even though I'm using the same user
      account/credentials)
    • Meanwhile, I can connect to another box (using the same user account,
      on the same subnet) (Running Windows Server 2012)

In summary:

• RDP from OSX to Win7 = No Problem
    • RDP from OSX to WinServer2012 = No Problem
    • RDP from Win10 (via Bootcamp) to WinServer2012 = No Problem
    • RDP from Win10 (via Bootcamp) to Win7 = PROBLEM. Error message: "The
      connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for
      remote login"

My user account grants me access to both these boxes (as demonstrated when I connect from within OSX).

Based on this… it SEEMS like it might have something to do with connecting to Win 7 from Win 10? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Dummy, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

1. The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login - Similar Threads - connection was denied

2. Authorization Errors During Account Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Authorization Errors During Account Login: Whenever I attempt to log into my account, I consistently face multiple unsuccessful authorization attempts. Even after successfully authorizing once, I am prompted to authorize again. If I alter the verification method, it redirects me to a different account, forcing me to...
  3. Authorization Errors During Account Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Authorization Errors During Account Login: Whenever I attempt to log into my account, I consistently face multiple unsuccessful authorization attempts. Even after successfully authorizing once, I am prompted to authorize again. If I alter the verification method, it redirects me to a different account, forcing me to...
  4. Wher are the remote user accounts?

Wher are the remote user accounts?: I am setting up a small computer network with Windows 11 Pro. I want to give access to user on the network without setting up local accounts for them. Seem like I remember we use to be able to create user accounts "Remote" vs "Local" We could then set up shares base on these...
  5. Remote desktop connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote...

Remote desktop connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote...: Good morning,I have been working on this problem more than a day, I am exhausted and I wonder if someone can help me... Thank you.DescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Program...
  6. Remotely Connect to a User with no Password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remotely Connect to a User with no Password: I want to connect to a computer with no password, but when I use the windows remote connection app, it tells me I need a password. But I can't enter a password because the PC I'm connecting to has no password. What should I do?...
  7. Error when Applying the Users Authority that, DRV access Deny ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error when Applying the Users Authority that, DRV access Deny ?: Error when Applying the Users Authority that, DRV access Deny ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-applying-the-users-authority-that-drv/5f6a1a54-4299-49dd-b21c-7f31fddcd847
  8. Managing child's account remotely - authorizing downloads of software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Managing child's account remotely - authorizing downloads of software: Hi, Child uses managed account on laptop on which I am administrator: Given that the child initiates an action which prompts the "Administrator authorisation required" pop up When child is not in same vicinity of administrator Then the administrator can remotely action...
  9. How to authorize users to manage Hyper-V remotely

How to authorize users to manage Hyper-V remotely: Hello, I've set up a Windows Server 2019 Core machine IP: 192.168.1.6 at home to use as a home server. I've installed Hyper-V in it and added a user called HyperVAdmin. It's in these user groups: Hyper-V Administrators, Remote Management Users, Power Users. I've also used...
  10. How to View Authorized Account Users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to View Authorized Account Users: I have been have some problems with accounts(I think). I'll start with this question and go from there. How do I view all users for my pc? 72855

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login

2. access denied because the account is not authorized to access or remote

3. the connection was denied bacause the user account is not authorized for remote loging win10

4. the connection was denied because the user account not authorised for remote log-in