Windows 10: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block

Discus and support The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was copying a large file from my main system disc (which I just successfully extracted from a .rar file moments earlier) to a USB thumb drive today... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rivre, Feb 26, 2018.

1. rivre Win User

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block

I was copying a large file from my main system disc (which I just successfully extracted from a .rar file moments earlier) to a USB thumb drive today using Fastcopy, and it popped up a CRC read error during the copy phase, before it was even half-way through. I tried twice more and both times the same thing happened at 11% complete. I checked the event viewer and it logged:

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

I'm assuming it means my main HDD which I was copying from, and not the USB thumb drive I was copying to? Event viewer doesn't actually specify what drive DR1 is.

I ran the short test in WD data lifeguard diagnostics and it said "pass". I noticed in the S.M.A.R.T. it lists:

- reallocated sector count - 1
    - reallocated sector event count - 0

Hard Disk Sentinel says the status is perfect, and after the short test, reports:

- reallocated sectors count - 0
    - reallocation event count - 0

Not sure what to think about that. CrystalDiskInfo also reports 0 reallocated sectors.

As far as the file, I'm not worried because it was just a temp copy, but I thought the drive automatically re-allocates bad sectors during copying? If so, then why did the file extracted from the rar end up on a bad sector? Shouldn't the drive have spotted the bad sector during extraction and re-allocated it?

Should I run chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors? I hate to do that on my 1TB partition because it will take hours. Should I run the full test with WD data lifeguard diagnostics instead of chkdsk?

Now I'm wondering if I should continue to trust this drive? It's only 2 years old.

:)

rivre, Feb 26, 2018
  2. LAPIII Win User

Does window 10 have a 'Scan and repair drive'?

Today I got Event ID 7 The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR2, has a bad block.

LAPIII, Feb 26, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Hardware Error Message Question

From the event logs, I see the CDROM device has some issue-SL says the CDROM has a bad block which is being treated as a hardware error by the PC.

Do you have a CD inside the CDROM?

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 26, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, in assessing whether the drive is likely to fail or not, the first smart parameter shown is one of the key ones considered a prime indicator. (Nothing absolute here). Nor is a count of 1 likely to suggest the drive is yet failing. Hence HDD Sentinel's report.
    The 5 SMART stats that actually predict hard drive failure | Computerworld
    What SMART Hard Disk Errors Actually Tell Us

The second is defined thus:
    Reallocation Event Count
    The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block [​IMG]
    Count of remap operations. The raw value of this attribute shows the total number of attempts to transfer data from reallocated sectors to a spare area. Both successful & unsuccessful attempts are counted.
    I suppose this means no attempt yet has been made to correct the problem (HDDs are made with extra spare sectors to allow for both manufacturing and service defects, so swapping 1 is just part of normal life).

Hard disks are essentially statistical items- it's far from as simple as being clear 1's and 0's.

Running chkdsk would be appropriate- there's no necessary reason to think it would take an unreasonable amount of time- obviously if your disk is unpartitioned and fairly full, then a good while.

There's always a risk the file will be corrupted. Do you have a backup?

dalchina, Feb 26, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    I think you are correct on all counts.

Writing to a drive should definitely skip bad sectors (it doesn't reallocate them - just doesn't use them, at least in theory).

You should definitely run chkdsk (however long it takes) and also (irrespective of the result) stop trusting the drive. The fact it is 2 years old means nothing - some fail after a month while some last for decades. It is a normal distribution thing.

6. rivre Win User
    I should have a full backup, but I don't. My last backup is very old and outdated. I'm not concerned about that file that gave me trouble copying, since I already deleted it (I still have the .rar archive). I just hope chkdsk doesn't affect any other files on my drive.

I'm confused why WD data lifeguard diagnostics said 1 reallocated sector but hard disk sentinel and crystaldiskinfo say 0.

rivre, Feb 26, 2018
  7. rivre Win User
    Yeah, that's why I'm confused - I thought the idea was if it encounters a bad sector as it's copying, it just marks the sector bad and moves onto the next sector during copy. For some reason it seems when I was extracting my file that didn't happen. Which is scary, because if my HDD is indeed going to start losing my trust, I would hope that it marks the files bad as it encounters them, not write to them anyways. *Eek

rivre, Feb 27, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

It marks sectors as bad (not files) but yes - that is how it should work certainly.

Once drives start going bad they tend to get worse though although looking on the bright side SSD just fail with no warning so you are at an advantage here (in a way).

If I was you (without a backup) I'd be ordering another drive right now. Stop using this one and when you get the new one clone the existing one onto it.

Don't run lots of tests - it may make it worse. It may of course keep running for another decade but I'd be a bit paranoid personally and (for the sake of a cheap new disk) it isn't worth the stress.

9. rivre Win User
    Is there any chance the "DR1" disk the event viewer was referring to was the USB thumb drive and not my main HDD? As described above, the copy process in fastcopy failed at 11% - from 0%-50% it copies the file, and from 51%-100% it verifies the copied file. So I'm guessing when it said there was a crc read error, it was referring to the file on the HDD?

rivre, Feb 27, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    Perhaps - that is a good thought. Easy (but a bit long winded) to check. Download WinObj

Go to GLOBAL?? and sort by SymLink

You can then find the PhysicalDrive for the DR number and match it against the deviceid in powershell

Get-PhysicalDisk | select deviceid,friendlyname,serialnumber,size | sort -Property deviceid
    (or disk number in diskpart):

It isn't necessarily a 1:1 match - for me DR36 is physical drive 3 (a USB)

11. rivre Win User
    I can't run diskpart in Powershell - I'm not familiar with Powershell, but diskpart just opens up a command window when I type it in Powershell.

But I might have it matched up using Get-PhysicalDisk:

In Powershell, I have 3 drives listed under deviceid:

deviceid
    ------------

And in WinObj I have 3 physical drives listed - DR0, DR1 and DR2.

My main HDD is listed for deviceid 1 in Powershell, and my USB thumb drive is deviceid 2. So I'm guessing DR1 in WinOBj = deviceid 1 in Powershell? If so, then that's my main HDD. I was hoping the bad block was just my thumb drive.

rivre, Feb 27, 2018
  12. rivre Win User
    Can somebody verify what the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool was trying to tell me? Under S.M.A.R.T. Drive Information, it lists the following:

- Attribute Name
    - ID
    - Value
    - Threshold
    - Worst
    - Warranty

The "Reallocated Sector Count" (ID 5) has a value of "1" under "Warranty" . What does this mean? I thought it meant 1 reallocated sector but all the other S.M.A.R.T. readings I get from crystaldiskinfo, hard disk sentinel, HDDscan and others say no problems with the drive and no reallocated sectors. HDDscan says:

05: Reallocation Sector Count: 0000000000-0000
    197: Current Pending Errors Count: 0000000000-0000
    198: Uncorrectable Errors Count: 0000000000-0000

Same for the other tools. I think that "reallocated sector" count of "1" under "Warranty" in the WD tool means something other than error count. I don't know what that code means, but here's their tooltip for the warranty code:

Warranty value 1: this attribute is under warranty should it fall below threshold value 0: this attribute is not under warranty

The reallocated sector count has a value of 1. "Spin Up Time" and "Raw Read Error Rate" also have a value of 1. All other values for "warranty" is 0. Again, their terminology is confusing, but according to all my other S.M.A.R.T. programs, I have no reallocated sectors. I'm not sure what the "bad block" error was, but I don't want to have to go through the immense hassle of re-installing Windows and all my software (and re-configuring it all) if I don't have to. I'll run a full chkdsk /r tomorrow. For now, I know the following:

- I got a persistent crc error when trying to copy a large file today with fastcopy from my HDD to a USB thumb drive
    - Event viewer logged it as "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block."
    - WD Data LifeGuard gives a cryptic value of "1" under "Warranty" for reallocated sector count. The short test gives a "pass"
    - All other S.M.A.R.T. software reports 0 for Reallocation Sector Count, Current Pending Errors Count, and Uncorrectable Errors Count. All tools report no issues with drive.

I'm still wondering if it was just a failed write to the USB thumb drive which triggered the "bad block" read error? I tried it 3 times and it failed all 3 times, but maybe it was the thumb drive which was failing to write properly?

rivre, Feb 27, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

According to the WD Community...

https://community.wd.com/t/data-life...-field-1/13954

14. rivre Win User
    Big thanks for that information. Just what I thought - that "1" under reallocated sectors does not mean there was 1 reallocated sector. So from what I can gather, there are no reallocated sectors and according to all my S.M.A.R.T. programs, there is nothing to be concerned about. At this point I don't know what caused that "bad block" issue but I've been copying large files using fastcopy back and forth for a couple hours now between my main HDD and a 2nd internal drive, and haven't run into any other issues. I basically filled most of my main HDD partition and copied it back with no issues.

rivre, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block - Similar Threads - device DeviceHarddisk1DR1 has

2. "DRO has a bad block." Crashing on startup and after sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "DRO has a bad block." Crashing on startup and after sleep: "DRO has a bad block." Crashing on startup and after sleep . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dro-has-a-bad-block-crashing-on-startup-and-after/ad185298-1d8b-4837-bd6f-eb929cb0a898
  3. "DRO has a bad block." Crashing on startup and after sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "DRO has a bad block." Crashing on startup and after sleep: "DRO has a bad block." Crashing on startup and after sleep . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dro-has-a-bad-block-crashing-on-startup-and-after/ad185298-1d8b-4837-bd6f-eb929cb0a898
  4. The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.: Hi all,I've had this error happen about 4 times now the past few days. I've done a CHKDSK scan and it picked up an error but couldnt fully fix it. It behaved itself yesterday but had another error now. My event viewer is filled with bad block error messages.Any other...
  5. The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.: Hi all,I've had this error happen about 4 times now the past few days. I've done a CHKDSK scan and it picked up an error but couldnt fully fix it. It behaved itself yesterday but had another error now. My event viewer is filled with bad block error messages.Any other...
  6. The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block on my second hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block on my second hard drive: when i try to initialize i get a Error Cyclic RedundancyThe device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block on my second hard drive i did the chkdsk o: /f /r and get Cannot open volume for direct access.help please...
  7. The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.: Hi everyone, I have been having this specific error popping up in Event Viewer for the past couple of days. I have narrowed it down to my NVMe drive, which is a XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 256.0 GB, although I am not sure what is really going on. OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro...
  8. Event Id 7 - The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block - this was asked BUT...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Event Id 7 - The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block - this was asked BUT...: The solution posted for this error has been posted. The number indicating that many people are experiencing this. And PRIOR to the thread being locked, SEVERAL people had posted that thie solution posted does NOT work. Please reopen this thread or start a new one. To be...
  9. Bad adds block

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad adds block: Sometimes are Adds Are very cheap in show notification Please reqwuest all adds are Blocked and don't show again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-adds-block/af116ac5-5317-4a9f-a028-ff2eba4849f8
  10. Event ID 7 - Harddisk has a Bad Block

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Event ID 7 - Harddisk has a Bad Block: Hi, After installing latest W10 Update - Build 447, I am getting random errors in >Event viewer : ID 7, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block. I did run CHKDSK but everything is OK, and I am quite sure there is nothing wrong with HDD Hardware, the HDD is only 2 years...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The device \Device\Harddisk3\DR7 has a bad block.

2. the device \device\harddisk1\dr1 has a bad block windows 10

3. this device has a bad block DR1 - USB

4. \device\harddisk1\dr1 has a bad block