Windows 10: "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"

Discus and support "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This is an issue that has been posted many times but:- I have not seen any serious answer.- The answers are generally off the mark, often fanciful, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by cap Nemo, Jul 2, 2022.

1. cap Nemo Win User

"The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"

This is an issue that has been posted many times but:- I have not seen any serious answer.- The answers are generally off the mark, often fanciful, and involve time-consuming, useless, and sometimes dangerous operations for the system. Perhaps the way in which the problem was presented was a source of ambiguity and qui pro quo.And maybe I missed one or more quality answers, in which case I apologize to the authors.Moreover, the threads are locked.Anyway, here is the DESCRIPTION of the problem:In my case, the message-window pops up when I disconnect my smartphone from the USB cable linked to my

:)

cap Nemo, Jul 2, 2022
  2. dalchina Win User

Device Has Stopped Responding message comes up

"The device has either stopped responding or been disconnected"
    - plenty of results that might help if you search for your error message

You could also try
    "The device has either stopped responding or been disconnected" Android
    "The device has either stopped responding or been disconnected" Android phone
    etc

FWIW this doesn't happen with mine.

Are USB ports configured for quick removal?
    How to Never “Safely Remove” a USB Drive Again on Windows 10

Conversely:
    Have you tried using 'Safely Remove'?
    This should let you discover if there are still programs configured to access the device- if any process is still active and locking it.

"The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" [​IMG]

See e.g.
    Fix: The Device Has Either Stopped Responding or Is Disconnected

I like this program:
    Safely Remove Hardware better alternative | USB Safely Remove

dalchina, Jul 2, 2022
  3. fdmillion Win User
    Windows 10 stops responding to HID input devices

Bear with me, because I've done some of my own troubleshooting to no avail.

My workstation runs Windows 1607.14393 with all current updates. The machine is a Dell Precision T5600 desktop with dual E5-2620 CPUs and 48GB of RAM.

The symptom: After a random period of time (a few days on average), either the keyboard or the mouse on the system will stop responding. The machine will not accept any input from the affected device. It can be any HID device and it is only one device at a time - I have deliberately left two keyboards and two mice connected and when the problem occurs, one of the four devices stops working but the other three remain active.

When the device stops responding, unplugging and replugging any HID device also causes it to stop responding. For example, if I have two of each device connected and one mouse stops responding, disconnecting the other mouse and reconnecting it causes that mouse to stop responding. No hardware insert or disconnect sounds are played.

In Device Manager, when this occurs, there are several HID "consumer control devices" with exclamation points on them. All of them have an error message reading "No drivers are installed for this device." When looking at the USB VID/PID of the devices with errors, they are always those of the device(s) which have either stopped responding or were disconnected and reconnected. Obviously when the HID stack is functioning, these same devices appear in Device Manager but do not have any errors associated with them.

I tried to uninstall the devices thinking perhaps this would kick Windows into resetting the devices after a disconnect/reconnect. However, the "removing device" dialog stays on screen indefinitely and never concludes. I have waited over a half hour.

In either case, as soon as the HID devices start misbehaving, it is no longer possible to reboot the machine. The machine will hang at the Restarting screen with the spinning circles. I have left it here for over an hour.

No events whatsoever appear in any of the event logs. I have accessed the logs while a device had failed, and also after a reboot, and saw nothing at all appearing.

The only remediation I have is to force-reboot the machine by physically powering it off.

This has been going on for about 2 weeks now. The problem even caused a hang on the restarting screen due to an automatic update happening while I was away from the machine. The update did seem to finish successfully after I hard-rebooted the machine.

Does anyone have any advice on further diagnostic steps I can take to figure out the problem? Reinstalling the OS would be extremely tedious at this point given that I have some licensed applications which would require me to contact vendors and "explain myself", as well as a lot of configuration customizations which would take a long time to repeat.

fdmillion, Jul 2, 2022
  4. "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"

How to disconnect and reconnect bluetooth devices in Windows 10?

Hi Melody,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Pair the Bluetooth device to the system.
    • Right click on the Speaker icon in the System tray and select
      Playback Devices.
    • Select the device and click on the drop down list next to Set default button.
    • Select the option to connect and disconnect from the device.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 2, 2022
Thema:

"The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"

1. "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" - Similar Threads - device has either

2. Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected: Popup message keeps appearing time to time - the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.It's not the error, but warning with triangle yellow icon.The title bar is name of the device my mobile phone name, and the warning text is:"the device has either...
  3. Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected: Popup message keeps appearing time to time - the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.It's not the error, but warning with triangle yellow icon.The title bar is name of the device my mobile phone name, and the warning text is:"the device has either...
  4. Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" USB Smartphone

"The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" USB Smartphone: This is an issue that has been posted many times but:- I have not seen any serious answer.- The answers are generally off the mark, often fanciful, and involve time-consuming, useless, and sometimes dangerous operations for the system. Perhaps the way in which the problem was...
  6. "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"

"The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected": This is an issue that has been posted many times but:- I have not seen any serious answer.- The answers are generally off the mark, often fanciful, and involve time-consuming, useless, and sometimes dangerous operations for the system. Perhaps the way in which the problem was...
  7. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!: Firstly I have looked for a soliution to this problem and there are so many different 'versions' of it along with the plethora of fixes that do not work I'm a little overwhelmed. What I am looking for is someone who may have had the same problem and has found a solution...
  8. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!

The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!: Firstly I have looked for a soliution to this problem and there are so many different 'versions' of it along with the plethora of fixes that do not work I'm a little overwhelmed. What I am looking for is someone who may have had the same problem and has found a solution...
  9. "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" Randomly appears and...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" Randomly appears and...: This randomly pops, even though there is nothing in my USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-device-has-either-stopped-responding-or-has/7dfe6742-040c-4385-bc3c-59e267171462
  10. This device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected

This device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected: Hello, Windows 10 Pro x64, build 19042.928. Randomly, when I access an external USB drive or mapped network share on the NAS, I get a warning box that pops up, with two instances of the same error. Both boxes state "This device has either stopped responding or has been...