Windows 10: The differences between Windows account PINs and passwords

Discus and support The differences between Windows account PINs and passwords in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Windows 10 and 11 operating systems support several different account authentication options. There is the classic local user account and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 8, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

The differences between Windows account PINs and passwords

Microsoft's Windows 10 and 11 operating systems support several different account authentication options. There is the classic local user account and password option, the Microsoft account and password option, and options provided by Windows Hello. Use of a PIN is the most common one, as Microsoft is pushing it specifically.

The differences between Windows account PINs and passwords windows-pin-password-security.png

Some Windows users might wonder which option is the most secure or most comfortable. The answer is not as straightforward as it may seem. Using a PIN to sign-in may look inferior on first glance, as it is a four-digit number by default; but is that really the case?

Let's take a closer look at the different options and their characteristics.

• Local account with password -- works on a single local computer only. No online restoration options, but also no online attacks, e.g., on Microsoft sites against the username. No online monitoring or recovery options.
    • Microsoft account with password -- works universally. One password for the account, regardless of number of devices. Options to restore and monitor access online. May be attacked online.
    • Microsoft account with PIN -- works only on the computer the PIN has been set on. Restore options provided via the Microsoft account. No online attacks, as it is local.

Protecting a Windows PC with a PIN looks like a mix between using the password of a local account with the benefits that a Microsoft account offers. The PIN is stored locally and that means that it is safe from many online attacks. Local attacks are limited as well, as Microsoft is preventing fast brute force attacks against user account PINs by limiting attempts artificially. It may still be possible to guess the PIN, especially if information about the user is available. Windows users may, and should, improve the security of the PIN access by using more than four alpha-numerical characters.

Successfully gaining access to a Windows user account that is protected by a PIN does not give automatic access to the Microsoft Account of the user. The Microsoft Account password, or the passwordless option, is still required to gain access to the account.

Access to a user account may open the can of worms, on the other hand. One example: email programs or email services may be accessed, and the linked email accounts may be used for verification requests. Therefore, it is essential to pick a secure PIN, if there is a chance that someone else may have access to the device.

Users who want to be even safer may want to explore options to fully encrypt the device; this adds another layer of security to the sign-in process, as the password to decrypt the entire PC needs to be supplied first before PIN or password prompts are even shown.

Now You: how do you secure your user accounts?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post The differences between Windows account PINs and passwords appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 8, 2022
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Aug 8, 2022
  3. Have PIN for Windows 10 but need Windows password

Hi,

To set up a PIN on your Windows account, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type the word pin in the search box and select
      Set up PIN sign-in

• Under the PIN section, click the
      Add
      button.

• Enter the password for your user account, then click the
      OK button.

• Follow the instructions on the screen.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Aug 8, 2022
  4. The differences between Windows account PINs and passwords

Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 8, 2022
Thema:

The differences between Windows account PINs and passwords

1. The differences between Windows account PINs and passwords - Similar Threads - differences between account

2. What’s the difference between an enhanced PIN and a password for BitLocker? Can passwords...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What’s the difference between an enhanced PIN and a password for BitLocker? Can passwords...: I was originally planning on using an enhanced PIN + TPM when booting, but since enhanced PINs can't be more than 20 characters I'm thinking of using a password instead. What's confusing me though is whether or not a password can also be used in conjunction with TPM, or if...
  3. Is there any difference between accounts with microsoft and accounts without?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any difference between accounts with microsoft and accounts without?: Is there any diference between windows accounts that are connected to mictosoft, and windows accounts that are not? submitted by /u/Wooden-Fan5324 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kvg9eg/is_there_any_difference_between_accounts_with/
  4. what is different between that password 1234554321 and that password 1234554321×÷

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what is different between that password 1234554321 and that password 1234554321×÷: I can't connect to my wifi if i enter this 1234554321×÷ , If i change it to that password 1234554321 without ×÷ i can connect please help me what is that problem for...
  5. Difference between

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Difference between: Is there a significant difference between the 14" Pavilion Laptop and the 14" Stream Laptop? Thanks. Sean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between/c649a7f5-03d2-4ee9-9dab-d71a780e228f
  6. what is the difference between pin no. and password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    what is the difference between pin no. and password?: difference between pin number and password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-pin-no-and-password/1e0895fc-8429-408c-88b6-bb210ad8fd29"
  7. and Difference between

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    and Difference between: What is the difference between defender definition updates KB915597 and KB2267602? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/and-difference-between/090c74ba-f728-4424-ab7c-759bf9453aaf
  8. difference between microsoft account and user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    difference between microsoft account and user profile: Hello.I have windows 10 build 1703.I am confused about differences between microsoft account and user profile.When i am searching or i have a porblem , i don't know which term should I do for the search.So i have some questions: 1) are the same? 2) Can i permanently delete...
  9. difference between microsoft account and user profile

in Windows 10 Support
    difference between microsoft account and user profile: Hello.I have windows 10 build 1703.I am confused about differences between microsoft account and user profile.When i am searching or i have a porblem , i don't know which term should I do for the search.So i have some questions: 1) are the same? 2) Can i permanently delete...
  10. Different Pin Or Password For Lock Screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Different Pin Or Password For Lock Screen: I am wondering if it is possible to have a separate Pin or Password for the lock screen and sign in screen? For example: My Microsoft Account Pin and Password is known to more than myself in my home. I do not want to change the Microsoft Account Password. If I change the Pin...