Windows 10: "The directory name is invalid" error popup

Discus and support "The directory name is invalid" error popup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am getting random error popup window "The directory name is invalid" with different drive letters. Anyone know how to fix this problem [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by madmax2, Mar 11, 2021.

1. madmax2 Win User

"The directory name is invalid" error popup

I am getting random error popup window
    "The directory name is invalid" with different drive letters.
    Anyone know how to fix this problem

"The directory name is invalid" error popup [​IMG]

"The directory name is invalid" error popup [​IMG]

:)

madmax2, Mar 11, 2021

2. The directory name is invalid

Hi David,

Since you have rebuilt your computer, it may have made some changes or installed some updates that might be causing the error message "G: \The directory name is invalid". However, let's check if there is a device that you can remove in Safely Remove Hardware
    utility. Follow these steps to access the utility:

• Press the Windows icon + R on your keyboard.
    • Copy and paste this 'RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll".
    • Remove any device that you'll see in the utility.
    • Restart your computer, then observe if the issue will occur again.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Mar 11, 2021
  3. The Directory Name Is Invalid

OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is that a file is somehow changed into a directory.

The problem is when I attempted to delete/remove the corrupted file/directory, I receive a 'The directory name is invalid.' error.

I've tried the following:

• Run chkdsk /f; no errors found.
    • Run WD Drive Utilities diagnostics; no errors found.
    • Checked dir /x looking for an 8.3 filename; no luck.
    • Taken ownership of the directory; no luck.
    • Tried a few file unlocker utilities; no luck (not reported as locked and delete fails).
    • Even tried an NTFS disk editor; no luck.
    I've spent the last three hours googling a solution. Nothing!

Anyone else ever encountered something similar and found a solution?

claytoncarney, Mar 11, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Cannot Delete Empty Folder "Directory Name is Invalid"

Did you actually succeed in renaming it, or did it fail with the 'invalid' error?

Perhaps you can delete it by using its 8.3 name. Open a command prompt, then type cd Desktop to go into that directory. Now type dir /x to list the 8.3 names as well as the long names. Now try deleting it using its 8.3 short name.

Thema:

1. "The directory name is invalid" error popup - Similar Threads - directory name invalid

2. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  3. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  4. "The directory name is invalid" error popup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "The directory name is invalid" error popup: I am getting random error popup window "The directory name is invalid" with different drive letters. Anyone know how to fix this problem [img] [img] 175711
  5. Directory Name Invalid error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directory Name Invalid error: Every time i try to open any file on my desktop word files, pdfs, etc the error message "The directory name is invalid" appears. Most of the time this issue appears with external drives and USB and not with the actual computer's drive itself. I have tried updating the drive...
  6. 'Directory name is invalid' error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    'Directory name is invalid' error: Just recently, the past 2 or 3 days, I have been getting this error when selecting items from my desktop. If I go to the directory and select the file, it works fine. It seems to have started after I removed my desktop from onedrive....
  7. The Directory Name Is Invalid

The Directory Name Is Invalid: Today I updated this laptop. Now all I see for the last 5 hours is this message: The directory name is invalid error message won't stop since I updated this PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What do I have to clear or change or reset to get this to stop showing up,...
  8. The directory name is invalid ?

The directory name is invalid ?: Does anyone know the solution for the error 'The directory name is invalid '? I get this error whenever I put a cd or dvd in the cd/dvd rom drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/ec110e94-85e6-470b-b771-45b5ff46e3cc
  9. The Directory Name Is Invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    The Directory Name Is Invalid: OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is...
  10. directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    directory name is invalid: Hi I have just got this new desktop pc. After an update I am getting this annoying message, E:/ The directory name is invalid. I don't know what I have done. I did anything. I searched Google and found a post on this forum but I can't find the actual answer to the post. Just...