Windows 10: "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use...

Discus and support "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I get these 2 messages every time i place a SD card into the SD slot of my laptop [ATTACH][ATTACH] This only happens when I place my SD card in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by crapychino, Aug 8, 2020.

1. "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use...

I get these 2 messages every time i place a SD card into the SD slot of my laptop "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use... c5bafdc5-1ad8-4b56-aded-eb811f099f3c?upload=true.png "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use... 4b81af4c-5596-49e3-9783-dddd09d3edff?upload=true.png

This only happens when I place my SD card in the SD slot however if I place the SD card into a usb converter it works perfectly. But in disk management when the SD card is in the SD slot it shows its space and format but in raw and changes the name of it also. So how can I possible fix this? As I have tried other SD cards and they all show same results. So I believe something is wrong with the driver its self I have tried to uninstall it and restart the computer and other recommendations and nothing has been changed. This is also a brand new laptop. "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use... a9114617-c500-4b59-8930-1fbb84ecaa7b?upload=true.png

:)

crapychino, Aug 8, 2020

2. "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it"

Hi Kelvin,

As per the info that you have provided, I understand that you are unable to use the Flash drive as it prompts the error "you need to format the disk in Drive E: before you can use it". Even after re formatting it, you are still receiving the same error.

If the above scenario is true, I suggest that you reformat the drive but with NTFS format and check if the same error displays after plugging it onto the PC. Also try to plug in another Flash drive with a FAT format and check if the error reappears

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 8, 2020
  3. Donnes78 Win User
    You need to format the disk before you can use it

Hello,

I have this problem where when I try to access a drive it says You need to format the disk before you can use and it has format disk and cancel options to click, Any solutions would be appreciated. The drive isnt removable either.

Donnes78, Aug 8, 2020
  4. "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use...

Hello Glyn,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and Thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. The D:\ drive, Is it a Hard Drive partition or CD/DVD drive?

2. When exactly do you get this error message?

3. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

You may follow the below methods and check.

Method 1: If you are facing this issue with Hard Drive partition, you may please refer to the suggestion given by Harshavardhan Rathod on September 9 and check if it helps.

Please use the command format given below to perform Check Disk.

chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Example: chkdsk C: /f /r

F:\ The directory name is invalid

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Method 2: If you are facing this issue with CD/DVD drive, you may follow the suggestion given by

Afshinbahramy on August 8 and check if it helps.

error: H:/ The directory name is invalid.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

"The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use...

1. "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use... - Similar Threads - directory name invalid

2. How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...: How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can use it use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-solve-you-need-to-format-disk-in-drive-d/1eec4550-8f1c-42c2-a3da-9552663e43be
  3. How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...: How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can use it use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-solve-you-need-to-format-disk-in-drive-d/1eec4550-8f1c-42c2-a3da-9552663e43be
  4. Format disk before you can use it

Format disk before you can use it: So I was creating bootable windows 10 on my pen drive using the windows media tool from the official Microsoft website. it was going well but at one point it stopped at 50% it was not moving at all for like an hour. tried to open another program but it got froze "not...
  5. Format disk before you can use it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format disk before you can use it: So I was creating bootable windows 10 on my pen drive using the windows media tool from the official Microsoft website. it was going well but at one point it stopped at 50% it was not moving at all for like an hour. tried to open another program but it got froze "not...
  6. Format disk before you can use it

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...: I am getting this message constantly pop up every few minutes: That drive is for my external hard drive connected via a USB cable. It hosts an ext4 file system. I connect to this file system via wsl, i.e. via wsl --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 --partition 1However, despite...
  8. How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...: I am getting this message constantly pop up every few minutes: That drive is for my external hard drive connected via a USB cable. It hosts an ext4 file system. I connect to this file system via wsl, i.e. via wsl --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 --partition 1However, despite...
  9. How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...

10. You need to format the disk before you can use it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    You need to format the disk before you can use it: Hello, I have this problem where when I try to access a drive it says You need to format the disk before you can use and it has format disk and cancel options to click, Any solutions would be appreciated. The drive isnt removable either....