Windows 10: The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card

Discus and support The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI, I tried to format SD card and received a "write protected "message . After that i searched for online solution like: I have edited my registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Isaqev, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Isaqev Win User

The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card

HI,

I tried to format SD card and received a "write protected "message . After that i searched for online solution like:

I have edited my registry to remove write protection.

I have gone through command prompt and diskpart to attempt to format It goes upto stage of clear read only when clean command is written it say error occured look at sytem event viewer.

Hope some body has got some solution to fix this error on my laptop.
    Kind regards

:)

Isaqev, Feb 20, 2020

2. I can't format My micro SD card on Win10 yet I can read it's contents, error card is write protected please release the write-protect

Hi Hussein,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

This issue might occur if write protected is enabled in the SD card.

I suggest you to remove the write protected from the SD card and then try formatting the SD card.

Follow the below steps:

1) Press Windows key + x and select Command Prompt (Admin).

2) Type the below commands.

Diskpart - Hit Enter.

list disk - Hit Enter.

select disk # (# is the number of USB drive with which you’re getting error and is plugged in) – Hit Enter.

attributes disk clear readonly – Hit Enter.

3) Exit command prompt.

Note: Hit Enter, after every command.

Now try formatting the SD card and check if it helps.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 20, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Feb 20, 2020
  4. The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card

Write Protected SD

Hi Fred,

Write-protected SD card disables some functions in the SD card like installing new data, delete data or move data. We suggest checking if there is a small physical switch located on your SD to disable the write-protect. Also, you may try removing the write
    protection thru the Properties of the drive. Open File Explorer > Right-click the SD card > Properties > Remove write-protection.

If the if two suggestion we provided didn't resolve the issue, we recommend contacting the manufacturer of the SD card for additional assistance on formatting your SD card.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card

1. The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card - Similar Threads - disk write protected

2. Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...: ====== What Happened ==========One day when I loaded my 16 Gigabyte microSDHC card, I attempted to format it. There are 5 gigabytes left.It returned a "Disk is write-protected" error:====== What I have Tried =========I have tried Disk Partitioning failed, even though it says...
  3. Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...: ====== What Happened ==========One day when I loaded my 16 Gigabyte microSDHC card, I attempted to format it. There are 5 gigabytes left.It returned a "Disk is write-protected" error:====== What I have Tried =========I have tried Disk Partitioning failed, even though it says...
  4. Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error: The disk is write protected, while accessing SD card

Error: The disk is write protected, while accessing SD card: Hello,I am getting an error when trying to modify any files on my SD card saying that the Disk Is Write Protected.I have followed the advice in the...
  6. Error: The disk is write protected, while accessing SD card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: The disk is write protected, while accessing SD card: Hello,I am getting an error when trying to modify any files on my SD card saying that the Disk Is Write Protected.I have followed the advice in the...
  7. Error: The disk is write protected, while accessing SD card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. SD Card Write Protection

SD Card Write Protection: I've been using my chromebook for modding my Wii u, and now that it's charger broke, I can't do that until I get a new one. The SD card works fine on that, but on my computer, the SD card is locked, no matter what. I've tried the Diskpart method, the RegEdit method, yet...
  9. The disk is write protected, while trying to formatt SD card

The disk is write protected, while trying to formatt SD card: HI, I tried to format SD card and received a "write protected "message . After that i searched for online solution like: I have edited my registry to remove write protection. I have gone through command prompt and diskpart to attempt to format It goes upto stage of...
  10. Write Protected SD card

Write Protected SD card: Hi, I want to format my SD card on my windows but I get the 'disk is write protected' notification. I tried removing the write protection through the command prompt but when I tried formatting afterwards it still gives the same notification. The SD card is not visible on my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to format write protected memory card in windows 10