Windows 10: The document is locked for editing by another user problem

Discus and support The document is locked for editing by another user problem in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all I have a problem where one of our users cannot always see the name of another user that currently has a file open that they also want to edit.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rockstar09, Dec 7, 2018.

1. The document is locked for editing by another user problem

Hi all

I have a problem where one of our users cannot always see the name of another user that currently has a file open that they also want to edit. When the user receives the message "The document is locked for editing by another user" if the message displays the username they can contact the user and ask them to close the file. But more frequently the users name is not displayed. I tested this and found that in Excel under General Options 'Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office' you can enter the name of the user for this copy of excel. I removed the name and opened the file in question and got the user to open the file after me and sure enough no name was displayed when the user received the message that someone else had the file open for editing. I repeated this after putting my name back in and my name was then displayed to the user.

So I want to know if it is possible to release a Windows policy that forces the users name to be populated in that option so that if they are the said user with the document open then their details will be displayed to another user so they can track them to ask them to close it.

I don't have the time to go around every user and make sure their name is populated in the option. I would have thought windows uses Active Directory to do this automatically. No one would removed it I don't think because I don't think they know it is there. But somehow some users names are missing.

Can anyone explain how best to solve this and if there is a policy that can be rolled out to enforce it.

The document is locked for editing by another user problem df07bfdf-4288-4159-9d20-7ad3c6fc0966?upload=true.jpg

:)

rockstar09, Dec 7, 2018

2. File LOCKED by UNKNOWN User

I've tried your suggestion, but continue to get: "Locked for editing by Unknown User". The document is an OpenOffice4.1.3 Calc document (.ods). Any other suggestions?

EDIT 3.Dec.2016: Problem resolved
    with additional help from OpenOffice Forum.

RalphHosmer, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Edit the Steps recorder document

How can I edit the Steps recorded by the Steps recorder application? Once I finish recording the necessary steps, there are few steps I'd like to delete and few comments that I'd like to edit.

So if I open the saved file in word document and edit it there I need it to,

• automatically update the number of the proceeding steps when I delete one in between.
    • Retain the size of the images and overall page size in the MHTML document. (I've noticed that if I make a single change, the size of image increase more than the screen size and the MHTML document isn't responsive.)

Anwesh Gangula, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Kreij Win User

The document is locked for editing by another user problem

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

The document is locked for editing by another user problem

1. The document is locked for editing by another user problem - Similar Threads - document locked editing

2. Locking a Word document. How to?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Locking a Word document. How to?: I am running Office 2016 on my Windows 10 Pro PC and have created a Word document I want to protect. I am the owner of the document and the administrator of the PC. So whats the easiest way to block access to the file? 122728
  3. locked thum drive doc's/locked word documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    locked thum drive doc's/locked word documents: Hello: As the title suggests I am currently suffering from the latest update of Microsoft word. It is now 3:51 in the am and this is when I do most of my work, yet I am currently here and not being productive. This PC is a 10 and running edge which is ok I guess but my...
  4. How to edit Registry for another User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to edit Registry for another User in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Have you ever pondered over the question of how to modify the Registry settings of other Users in Windows 10? Well, Window users can edit and make changes to the registry settings for only the user account that is currently [...] This post How to edit Registry for...
  5. Unable to delete locked document

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to delete locked document: Hi, I've been trying to delete this document but I can't seem to. I've tried the multiple ways that I found on the forums but none of them worked for me. I uploaded the document from my Mac and when I did, a 'ds_store' appeared in my files as well and I deleted that, I...
  6. Lock Screen Accent Color Frequently Changes to Another User's Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock Screen Accent Color Frequently Changes to Another User's Color: Hi, So, when I am using the Windows lock screen, especially when I am not currently signed in, Windows tends to set my lock screen accent color to purple, much like my wife's account on the computer. She has chosen a purple accent color for her account, which is fine,...
  7. How to edit a read only document.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to edit a read only document.: I am at my wits end with this problem and would be very grateful for a solution. I have a document, in Dropbox though now copied to the Documents folder, which I wrote myself some years ago. I use Apache Open Office but the document is saved as an MS Word. I have edited...
  8. Another Update Another Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Another Update Another Problem: Really getting tired of this OS. Second time this happened. 1 >Default browser went back to IE. 2 >Settings opens Control Panel 3 >Programs that should appear on Task bar DON'T 4 >More that I didn't write down 1 > Ran sfc /scannow TWICE nothing 2 > This one is great...
  9. Relocating Documents etc to another partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocating Documents etc to another partition: I'm setting up a new laptop on Windows 10 for the first time, and I want to move Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc to another partition. I've had problems in this area on previous Windows versions so want to make sure I do it correctly. Let's say I create a new folder...
  10. User default document in onedrive

in Windows 10 Support
    User default document in onedrive: Hi, I just completed a brand new windows 10 installation from CD. *Smile Every thing go ok. The only problem I have is that one : When I install applications (let say for exemple Magix video), the "magix specific" folders are created in the folder onedrive/documents...