Windows 10: The document is locked for editing by another user problem

Discus and support The document is locked for editing by another user problem in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all I have a problem where one of our users cannot always see the name of another user that currently has a file open that they also want to edit.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rockstar09, Dec 7, 2018.

1. The document is locked for editing by another user problem

Hi all

I have a problem where one of our users cannot always see the name of another user that currently has a file open that they also want to edit. When the user receives the message "The document is locked for editing by another user" if the message displays the username they can contact the user and ask them to close the file. But more frequently the users name is not displayed. I tested this and found that in Excel under General Options 'Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office' you can enter the name of the user for this copy of excel. I removed the name and opened the file in question and got the user to open the file after me and sure enough no name was displayed when the user received the message that someone else had the file open for editing. I repeated this after putting my name back in and my name was then displayed to the user.

So I want to know if it is possible to release a Windows policy that forces the users name to be populated in that option so that if they are the said user with the document open then their details will be displayed to another user so they can track them to ask them to close it.

I don't have the time to go around every user and make sure their name is populated in the option. I would have thought windows uses Active Directory to do this automatically. No one would removed it I don't think because I don't think they know it is there. But somehow some users names are missing.

Can anyone explain how best to solve this and if there is a policy that can be rolled out to enforce it.

The document is locked for editing by another user problem df07bfdf-4288-4159-9d20-7ad3c6fc0966?upload=true.jpg

:)

rockstar09, Dec 7, 2018

2. File LOCKED by UNKNOWN User

I've tried your suggestion, but continue to get: "Locked for editing by Unknown User". The document is an OpenOffice4.1.3 Calc document (.ods). Any other suggestions?

EDIT 3.Dec.2016: Problem resolved
    with additional help from OpenOffice Forum.

RalphHosmer, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Edit the Steps recorder document

How can I edit the Steps recorded by the Steps recorder application? Once I finish recording the necessary steps, there are few steps I'd like to delete and few comments that I'd like to edit.

So if I open the saved file in word document and edit it there I need it to,

• automatically update the number of the proceeding steps when I delete one in between.
    • Retain the size of the images and overall page size in the MHTML document. (I've noticed that if I make a single change, the size of image increase more than the screen size and the MHTML document isn't responsive.)

Anwesh Gangula, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Kreij Win User

The document is locked for editing by another user problem

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

The document is locked for editing by another user problem

1. The document is locked for editing by another user problem - Similar Threads - document locked editing

2. documents locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    documents locked: I can't change or print my documents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-locked/9cbea7cd-d42b-430e-ab58-3e2ed32e7c3a
  3. File is locked for editing by "another user"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File is locked for editing by "another user": Users reported that files are locked for editing by "another user", but actually no one is using those files.We are using the NetApp OnTapp File server and they said that it is not a storage issue.How can we solve the issue?...
  4. editing document

in Windows 10 Customization
    editing document: I cannot understand why in some pages text is 2 lines shorter than in others, all pages having same margins and size. Can someone help? THANK YOU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/editing-document/87296efc-9887-47d6-aea7-16a8316279dd
  5. LibreOffice Writer document is locked/read only. How can I edit this document?

LibreOffice Writer document is locked/read only. How can I edit this document?: I am using this program for the first time. I created a document two days ago and now trying to access to complete and the document is locked and the only access is Read Only. How can I access to complete my work? Thank you. * Moved from Education * Original title:...
  6. Opening "locked for editing" documents

Opening "locked for editing" documents: Many documents in my files show up as “locked for editing…” and display 3 choices for opening them. Why does this so often happen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-locked-for-editing-documents/13ab267e-3c18-4488-bfe4-62fef8314b29"
  7. "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user: Hi, Recently we've upgraded a number of devices from Windows 7 / Office 2010 to Windows 10 / Office 365 Click to Run. Prior to this the users in question had a number of shared files that are located/stored on a network share. Whenever a file was locked, the person to...
  8. Files Locked for editing by "another user". But no one has the file open.

Files Locked for editing by "another user". But no one has the file open.: Recently, files shared by a smll group of 6 people are constantly locked for editing because they are open by another user. however, no one has the file open and we are forced to restart the host computer to allow access. This just started about 3 weeks ago and it has...
  9. WORD document "Locked for editing." Can't unlock it.

WORD document "Locked for editing." Can't unlock it.: I’m working on a document in Microsoft WORD. I just opened it and it says “Locked for editing.” So I can’t do anything with it, and I don’t know how to unlock it. The WORD program I’m using is I think WORD 2003. At least I know it’s old, but it has been working perfectly all...
  10. How to edit Registry for another User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to edit Registry for another User in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Have you ever pondered over the question of how to modify the Registry settings of other Users in Windows 10? Well, Window users can edit and make changes to the registry settings for only the user account that is currently [...] This post How to edit Registry for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is locked for editing by another user