Windows 10: "The driver detected a controller error on" card reader after suspend

Discus and support "The driver detected a controller error on" card reader after suspend in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Moin. I'm running Windows 21H1 (19043.1081) and recently discovered that every time my PC wakes up after sleep mode, I get 2-4 errors in the event... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Arakon, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Arakon Win User

"The driver detected a controller error on" card reader after suspend

Moin. I'm running Windows 21H1 (19043.1081) and recently discovered that every time my PC wakes up after sleep mode, I get 2-4 errors in the event viewer like this: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk8\DR8. The Harddisk number covers several, and all of them are part of the Transcend USB 3.0 card reader attached to the system. It uses the generic windows driver and has no drivers available on their website, either. It creates 3 drives that correspond to different card slots. I've added a zipped .evtx file of the occurrence here: Error.zip Any ideas how to prevent these? It seems hardware independent, as I see the exact same errors when attaching it to a Ryzen System or my main Intel system.

:)

Arakon, Jul 6, 2021
  2. tim11g Win User

USB card reader - controller errors

A Windows 10 64 bit system has a USB card reader that creates six "phantom drives" in Disk Manager and Device Manager. These are seen as \Device\Hardkisk4\DR4 to \Device\Hardkisk9\DR9.
    The card reader seems to work, but the Windows System log is filled with error messages even when there is no media inserted in the reader. Messages look like
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk7\DR7 with numbers from DR3 through DR9.

Drivers are generic Microsoft - disk.sys, EhStorClass.sys, both 10.0.10586.

How can I solve the problem and eliminate the errors?

(As a humorous side note, the Event Viewer has an "Event Log Online Help for this event" function. It takes you to a page on microsoft.com with nothing but MS advertisements. Nice....)

tim11g, Jul 6, 2021
  3. USB card reader - controller errors

If a system reports six drives, then the particular USB mass storage device (which is fully described by OP as "a USB card reader") does report that it can have six independent removable volumes, all at once. Solution to the problem is not to use the "a USB Card reader" that reports that goofy thing.

ADDITION: As per clarification from OP, the "a USB card reader" appears to be some design by a freshman in USB. It looks like a USB compound device (USB hub with embedded controllers) with five media card interfaces/slots, plus a e-SATA port, total six mass-storage devices (MS Slot, CF Slot, SD Slot,Extreme Slot, Micro SD Slot, and M2 Port). Apparently the device declares all six devices as active LUNs, so the system reports them as such, even if no media is inserted. What else is done wrongly in this device would require lengthy investigation for conformance to USB class specifications, so the Windows log will continue to report errors, unless the device is replaced with a corrected one. I would suggest to contact Thermaltake with all your compaints, maybe they have some "filter driver" that swaps the errors under a rug. The Thermaltake idea is right about a big 3.5" bay reader, but the implementation apparently sucks.

Ale..chenski, Jul 6, 2021
  4. "The driver detected a controller error on" card reader after suspend

CAC Card reader not detecting the card

Hello, I've read several posts with the EXACT same question, but they're not resolved, so I'm starting my own. I'm in the military and use a CAC CARD reader to access websites. After a recent windows update, my computer no longer detects my CAC CARD. The
    card reader is fine, but the card itself isn't detecting. I REPEAT, the card reader is fine. (Also, its NOT an SD card. Its a CAC card. On an other post here, a fix was suggested for an SD card. Its not an SD card).

The card reader is detected, I've updated and reinstalled the driver multiple times. I've tried rolling it back. The card reader shows on the computer under Device Manager, it shows on other computers too, and the CAC Card works on other computers. It is
    not a problem with the card reader, or the card, it is a problem with some settings in this computer. Internet explorer, google chrome, and firefox all fail to see the CAC Card on this computer. Can you please help fix how my computer will detect the card
    itself?

The card reader i'm using is called "Stanley Global Technologies" and in Device Manager it shows as Smart Card Reader- "Alcor Micro USB Smart Card Reader".

Thanks!

AdriannaYameen, Jul 6, 2021
Thema:

"The driver detected a controller error on" card reader after suspend

1. "The driver detected a controller error on" card reader after suspend - Similar Threads - driver detected controller

2. Internal SD Card Reader is not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal SD Card Reader is not detected: I have a Lenovo T450 laptop with Windows 7 installed and it has an internal SD card reader. I installed the drivers for it, which were on the Lenovo website, but it isn't being detected by Windows it doesn't show up in Device Manager and explorer. The files and utilities did...
  3. Internal SD Card Reader is not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal SD Card Reader is not detected: I have a Lenovo T450 laptop with Windows 7 installed and it has an internal SD card reader. I installed the drivers for it, which were on the Lenovo website, but it isn't being detected by Windows it doesn't show up in Device Manager and explorer. The files and utilities did...
  4. SD Card Reader doesn't detect automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SD Card Reader doesn't detect automatically: Hi,My windows 10 doesn't detect automatically the sd card. I keep the sd card inserted, then install the sd card driver and ir detects and works without problems. When I remove the sd card and insert it again it doesn't read nor is detected by disk management.So, whenever I...
  5. SD Card Reader doesn't detect automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD Card Reader doesn't detect automatically: Hi,My windows 10 doesn't detect automatically the sd card. I keep the sd card inserted, then install the sd card driver and ir detects and works without problems. When I remove the sd card and insert it again it doesn't read nor is detected by disk management.So, whenever I...
  6. SD Card Reader can't be detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SD Card Reader can't be detected: I have an SD Card reader connected to my case, but my computer can't use the device. It seems to be a device that has the Device Descriptor Failure error, as I can't find another device like it in device manager. Device instance path: USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&166CCC16&0&10...
  7. built-in SD card reader driver error

built-in SD card reader driver error: The SD card is recognized and I'm ask what the computer wants me to do with it. But I can't drag anything onto it or download pictures from another one. When I try the message comes up that there's a problem with the driver. So I click "Fix driver". Then I'm told it is...
  8. Card reader not detected

Card reader not detected: I've installed Windows 10 on an HP 2000 laptop after I ran the Windows updates after that, the ActivClient does not detect the USB card reader. I had reinstalled the ActivClient and reader software a couple of times with no success....
  9. CAC Card reader not detecting the card

CAC Card reader not detecting the card: Hello, I've read several posts with the EXACT same question, but they're not resolved, so I'm starting my own. I'm in the military and use a CAC CARD reader to access websites. After a recent windows update, my computer no longer detects my CAC CARD. The card reader is fine,...
  10. Realtek Card Reader Driver

Realtek Card Reader Driver: Realtek Card Reader v10.0.10125.31214 Downloads Detail ds103308 22630