Windows 10: The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

Discus and support The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have tried everything to make my desktop reappear, it's missing in W10. I have executed the scan command, nothing happened. Tried to copy the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mar ....., Jan 25, 2023.

1. Mar ..... Win User

The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

I have tried everything to make my desktop reappear, it's missing in W10. I have executed the scan command, nothing happened. Tried to copy the desktop icon to the C:\windows\system32\config\ systemprofile, restarted the PC, still nothing appeared. Tried to change the location with the regedit command, still no solution. I even attempted to search for a restoration point but realized there were none option not enabled. Can someone help?

:)

Mar ....., Jan 25, 2023

2. C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable error on Windows 10

Hello Vik,

This C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable error may occur due to corrupt or missing Windows files.

To troubleshoot the issue, you can follow these simple steps:

• Open File Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile and check if it has the
      Desktop folder there.
    • If the Desktop folder does not exist, then create a new folder and rename it as
      Desktop or copy it from C:\users\Default\Desktop.

Note: By default, C:\Users\Default is hidden. To unhide click on the View tab and check the
    Hidden Items box.

After you have created the folder, it is required that you give full permission to the folder. You can follow these steps to give full permission:

• Right click on the folder, select Properties then click on the Security tab.
    • Click on Edit.
    • On the Permissions for Desktop window, select Everyone and then click on
      Add.
    • In the Enter the object names to select dialog box, type
      Everyone
      and click on Check Names.
    • Click OK.

If you need further assistance, let us know.

Jezhel Uga, Jan 25, 2023
  3. "Location is unavailable" for C: folder.

Hi Jeff,

This error message usually appears when the hard drive files get damaged or corrupted.
    Restoring folder's default location or recovering the data and formatting the disk would help diagnose and address this problem. Make sure to log in as the administrator. Follow the steps below:

• To restore to default location.
    1. Go to C:\Users.

2. Open the folder name with your user name.

3. Right-click on the desktop and select Properties.

4. Under the Location tab, click the Restore Default button.

5. Once done, restart your PC.

• Verify the permissions set on the file.
    1. Open File Explorer.

2. Right-click the file folder and select Properties.

3. Go to Security and select Advanced.

4. Check the box for Replace all child object permission entries with permission entries from this object at bottom.

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, try accessing the folder again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 25, 2023
  4. The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

"C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community, and we in Community will try to resolve your issue the best way we can.

To resolve the issue, I would suggest that you refer to the steps provided below and check if the same error occurs.

Method:

Step 1: Navigate to "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile”
    and check if the Desktop folder exist.

Step 2: In the event that you cannot find the folder, create a folder name it as
    “Desktop” or copy it from “c:/user/default/Desk

Note: Once you open the User folder the Default folder will be hidden. To unhide click on the “View” tab and check the “Hidden Items” box.

Also after you have created the folder, it will be required that you give full permission to the folder. Follow the steps below to give permission.

• Right click on the folder, click on the “Security” tab and then click on the
      “Edit” button.
    • This will navigate you to “Permission for Desktop”.
    • Select “Everyone” and then click on the “Add”
      button.
    • In the “Enter the object name to select” dialog box type
      “Everyone” and click on “Check Names”.
    • Once done click on “OK”

Hope this information helps. Do revert back to us with the outcome, so that we can assist you further.

Vanessa Sohtun, Jan 25, 2023
Thema:

The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

1. The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in... - Similar Threads - error following Users%Dell%Desktop

2. C:\Users\Downloads is unavailable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\Users\Downloads is unavailable: Hi, I went to try to open up my downloads but this keeps popping up on my screen. What can I do about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cusersdownloads-is-unavailable/3cec2910-81cb-4ac1-848f-f8dec15a1fa6
  3. C:\Users\Downloads is unavailable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\Users\Downloads is unavailable: Hi, I went to try to open up my downloads but this keeps popping up on my screen. What can I do about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cusersdownloads-is-unavailable/3cec2910-81cb-4ac1-848f-f8dec15a1fa6
  4. C:\Users\Downloads is unavailable

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...: I have tried everything to make my desktop reappear, it's missing in W10. I have executed the scan command, nothing happened. Tried to copy the desktop icon to the C:\windows\system32\config\ systemprofile, restarted the PC, still nothing appeared. Tried to change the...
  6. The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

in Windows 10 Customization
    The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...: I have tried everything to make my desktop reappear, it's missing in W10. I have executed the scan command, nothing happened. Tried to copy the desktop icon to the C:\windows\system32\config\ systemprofile, restarted the PC, still nothing appeared. Tried to change the...
  7. error: c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable

in Windows 10 Support
    error: c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable: I have Win v.1909 bld 18363.836 and I've been working from home on my own laptop. The company had us install Citrix at home so that we could login to our computers at work and work on them. It is required because we use enterprise software that is not portable. I created a...
  8. D:\Desktop is Unavailable on Dell Laptop

D:\Desktop is Unavailable on Dell Laptop: Hi, So yesterday when I started my Dell Inspiron 15 7572 up, this windows attached below showed up, I had tried removing the back cover of the laptop and the D: hard drive seems perfectly secured, but this problem still shows up, my laptop also seemed to be making weird...
  9. Location is unavailable

Location is unavailable: When I try to open something I get this "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Thing i'm opening' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is unavailable, and then try again". I'm not sure what made this...
  10. location is unavailable

in Windows 10 Support
    location is unavailable: hi. so everytime after i get a BSOD, or i do an emergency restart, or the pc gets turned off immediately, it gets this error message after booting: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is not accessable. Access is denied." i have no clue what...