Windows 10: The external disk with the Bitlocker partition is not accessible if I connect the disk to a...

Discus and support The external disk with the Bitlocker partition is not accessible if I connect the disk to a... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I have an external USB drive with two partitions, one an NTFS partition and the other an NTFS partition with Bitlocker encryption When you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DevelMasino, Sep 29, 2020.

1. The external disk with the Bitlocker partition is not accessible if I connect the disk to a...

The external disk with the Bitlocker partition is not accessible if I connect the disk to a... bT5tQObTcjpH6DeYHZwmSxTZTOUmfagRg-6H23nAPuA.jpg

I have an external USB drive with two partitions, one an NTFS partition and the other an NTFS partition with Bitlocker encryption

When you start your computer with an external USB drive connected, both parts of the drive are accessible.
    One unencrypted and the other encrypted by Biltocker.
    BUT When I mount this disk while the computer is running, the Bitlocker-encrypted part is not accessible.

I always have to restart the computer with the external drive plugged in, then access to the Bitlocker encrypted partition works.

https://preview.redd.it/5vox0bax01q...bp&s=787f8fb60acbc64ce0507c33ec46f54ac6a50b06

submitted by /u/DevelMasino
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DevelMasino, Sep 29, 2020

2. Hard disk partitioning

Step 1: Connect the external drive and make sure it is powered on.

Step 2: press Windows key + X then click Disk Management

Step 3: You will see the external drive listed in Disk Managment.

Right click each partition, starting from the extreme right, then click Delete.

You should only see one unallocated drive

After all are deleted, right click it then click Format

This will start a wizard

Choose NTFS for the file system then label it then click Next to begin the format.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue The external disk with the Bitlocker partition is not accessible if I connect the disk to a... :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Sep 29, 2020
  4. The external disk with the Bitlocker partition is not accessible if I connect the disk to a...

Renamed external disk defaults to 'Local Disk'. Maybe something to do with BitLocker?

Hi Russell,

The issue you're experiencing with modifying the name of your external hard disk might be caused by a misconfiguration with BitLocker. We'll need additional information to properly address your concern. Please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • How did you modify the name of the external hard disk? Did you change it through the File Explorer or through Disk Management? Also, is BitLocker disabled when you changed the name of the storage device?
    • Is the external hard disk showing the same issue when you connect it to a different PC?

If you haven't tried it yet, you can modify the external hard disk name using an elevated
    Command Prompt:

• Select the Start button.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click Command Prompt and then select
      Run as administrator
    • If prompted, click Yes or enter the administrator password.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type the command below and then hit Enter.
      • label <drive letter>: <desired name>
      • Replace <drive letter> with the actual driver letter of the external hard disk.
      • For example: label E: Backup files
    • Restart your PC.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

The external disk with the Bitlocker partition is not accessible if I connect the disk to a...

1. The external disk with the Bitlocker partition is not accessible if I connect the disk to a... - Similar Threads - external disk Bitlocker

2. Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk partitions: My Dell laptop is showing me several 'Recovery' partitions in the Disk Management program. I am currently struggling with viruses on my laptop and I am wondering if malware is sitting in one of these partitions. They are listed as 'Recovery', but as you can see in the...
  3. Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Partition: Hello, I have a problem. I can't shrink my C drive at all. I have tried literally everything... I even reinstalled windows & resetted it. YES, I have tried the hibernation and security thing and i disabled them, I also restarted my laptop, and nothing works....
  4. External hard disk partition ing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External hard disk partition ing: Hi,Is it possible to create partitions in the external hard-disk?If yes, when one should and should not do it?I will also appreciate steps to follow and any reliable links to more information on it.Thanks,Verma...
  5. External hard disk partition ing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard disk partition ing: Hi,Is it possible to create partitions in the external hard-disk?If yes, when one should and should not do it?I will also appreciate steps to follow and any reliable links to more information on it.Thanks,Verma...
  6. External hard disk partition ing

7. Disk Partition

Disk Partition: How to allocate the unallocated space that I shrunk from my c drive to my d drive. The extend option on d drive is greyed out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-partition/9f24328c-81b8-4d8f-847c-64b953f35f95
  8. BitLocker - External Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker - External Hard Disk: I have Western Digital Hard Disk. It is BitLocker protected. I have Key ID i.e. 7BF91855. Is there anyway I can retrieve my bitlocker recovery key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-external-hard-disk/ec9c56aa-15d6-42f9-aff0-f88af87a5b1c
  9. Bitlocker recovery of a partition broken disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker recovery of a partition broken disk: SO I Had a big 3 TB disk, I used one partition with bitlocker GPT, another that's 200 GB with Linux ubuntu on it and one with 9 GB for linux system required partition. I wanted to remove the linux. I used AOMEI assistant to delete linux partitions, but I did it without...
  10. How to partition external hard disk?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to partition external hard disk?: I hv window vista business edition OS. I purchased 500 GB seagate external hard drive as I wish to transfer my collection of songs and photos from my laptop to hard drive. How do I partition the hard drive in three parts. It comes with integrated software for backup and I...