Windows 10: The F5 function key is no longer the "Refresh" key.

Discus and support The F5 function key is no longer the "Refresh" key. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Today, the F5 function key invokes a Start pop-up window with no obvious name. An array of functions, apps and recently opened programs. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ralph Bentley, Nov 20, 2020.

1. The F5 function key is no longer the "Refresh" key.

Today, the F5 function key invokes a Start pop-up window with no obvious name. An array of functions, apps and recently opened programs.

In PowerPoint, the F5 key was the shortcut to start a presentation from slide one. No substitute keystroke is designated. Again, the Window with No Obvious Name is invoked.

This began after a recent system up[date.

Is there a way to return to the legacy functionality of the F5 key?

:)

Ralph Bentley, Nov 20, 2020

2. New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

Ummm, that is normal - depending on the function you are doing (assuming I understand what you are saying).

On a notebook, the Fn key is like a shift key that switches in a different set of functions for the F-Keys.

For example, in Windows pressing the F5 key typically refreshes the display. In File Explorer, it will refresh the displayed files. In a browser, it will refresh (reload) the webpage. But pressing Fn + F5 does something different, depending on your notebook. On my Toshiba notebook, if I hold down the Fn key and press F5, it switches the video output of my notebook between the notebook monitor, a connected external monitor, or both.

Bill_Bright, Nov 20, 2020
  3. marsmimar Win User
    The function keys

I think it's really personal preference. I keep my function keys active because they offer me a quick way to adjust speaker volume, change screen brightness, refresh a web page (F5 on most keyboards) and several other one-click options. I don't use the function keys every time I sit down at the computer, but I like having them available.

marsmimar, Nov 20, 2020
  4. The F5 function key is no longer the "Refresh" key.

alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

The F5 function key is no longer the "Refresh" key.

1. The F5 function key is no longer the "Refresh" key. - Similar Threads - function key longer

2. Disable or modify F5 key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable or modify F5 key: [ATTACH] I'm trying to disable the F5 key function on the keyboard in order to deploy it by the GPO, in the screenshot shows the how the registry set but it's not working even after restart the PC, Could anyone help me in this issue?? Any one could help me of that or how...
  3. Key no longer functional

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Key no longer functional: one of the keys on my microsoft ergonomic keyboar has stoppe working. Can you guess which one? I am using Microsoft 11. Help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-no-longer-functional/ce5c42f7-fa70-4310-8984-439eafa70b2c
  4. Key no longer functional

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Key no longer functional: one of the keys on my microsoft ergonomic keyboar has stoppe working. Can you guess which one? I am using Microsoft 11. Help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-no-longer-functional/ce5c42f7-fa70-4310-8984-439eafa70b2c
  5. f5-f11 keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    f5-f11 keys: so ive been fine untill a few minutes ago when my f5-f11 keys randomly became volume changers, im not changing my game settings so i want to turn this off, its annoying bc im used to pressing f11 to change from full screen to non full screen so i dont like the volume keys...
  6. Fn + F5 Refresh not working

Fn + F5 Refresh not working: Fn + f5 refresh is not working instead i have to Win + f5 for refreshing. please help!!!! Also i have to click Fn + f11 / f12 for increseing/decreasing brightness. previously i used to Fn + f5 for refresh i never needed to win + any function keys....
  7. Command to do the job of F5 key/Refresh at context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Command to do the job of F5 key/Refresh at context menu.: Hi. I use Winaero Tweaker and Windows font appear to change the size and font of desktop's icons font. Usually after shutdown-boot or reboot procedure , the font dont appear right. I need to do a "refresh" from desktop's context menu (or press F5). Example : 1) Before...
  8. Function keys no longer working

Function keys no longer working: Hello...got a Microsoft request to upgrade my os Windows 10 as it was soon to become outdated. Did that yesterday and since then none of the function keys on my laptop HP Envy work at all. This is very frustrating, especially given the need to adjust volume levels during...
  9. Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working

Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working: Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-key-fnf5-not-working/ca917718-6d6a-404b-b643-a4398d3f0842
  10. F5 key suddenly not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    F5 key suddenly not working: So.. I got a curios problem. My F5 key doesn't work any more. Or does it? I have a Logitech G910 Keyboard. When hitting the key alone. Nothing happens. Neither LGS (Logitech Gaming Software - aka the driver software) nor Windows or any other program seem to notice. But...