Windows 10: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Discus and support The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 2004, build 19041.172 on a desktop machine with utilizing a single SSD for the boot drive and Storage Spaces for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DanMillerPanasonic, Mar 30, 2020.

1. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 2004, build 19041.172 on a desktop machine with utilizing a single SSD for the boot drive and Storage Spaces for all of my files. The storage spaces pool is using six physical drives for a total of 30 TB 27.2 actually setup with Parity to make only a single virtual drive from the pool.

Everything has been fine up until yesterday. Since I have all of this extra time on my hands, I decided to clean up and organize the machine. I becan by upgrading the pool to optimize the drives. I waited until that was finished and then began moving files from my desktop to various library locations. I saved the download library for last, being the biggest.

When I finally got there, i received the above error message. It show up in explorer, with the appropriate icon, but the instant I click on it, it says that it's corrupted and unreadable.

I guarantee that I didn't do anything to it, because it has a couple of years of downloaded stuff and was probably 40-50 Gb.

All of my libraries are subfolders of the single pool drive.

My knee jerk reaction was to download some sort of disk corruption utility, but i wanted to see if I could do this maybe a better way. Isn't the whole idea of parity to keep these type of things from occurring?

There is some very important stuff in that directory. Please help me in recovering it!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

:)

DanMillerPanasonic, Mar 30, 2020
  2. dkbuchner Win User

Can't remove 'file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

How can I remove a directory when I get this message 'file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

dkbuchner, Mar 30, 2020
  3. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

I have 4 of these errors, NTFS failed to mount the volume.

Error: {Corrupt File}

The file or directory %hs is corrupt and unreadable.

Please run the Chkdsk utility.

Volume GUID: {xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx}

Volume Name:

Guidance:

The volume is recognized by NTFS but it is corrupted that NTFS could not mount it. Run

CHKDSK /F to fix any errors on this volume, and then try accessing it.

Not sure whats causing it, doesn't tell me the volume, but I only have the one drive

with the recovery partition.

RonaldCollins2, Mar 30, 2020
  4. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Hi

I turned on my Dell G5 today and every program that I wanted to open, show this error

<< the file and directory is corrupted and unreadable >>

Both my c and d drive have this problem.

And interesting thing is that all of programs will run when I right click and choose run as administrator.

So problem is not physical or from my hdd or ssd.

This is an odd problem

Someone help me!

masoudshamohammadi, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

1. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable - Similar Threads - file directory corrupted

2. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have windows 11 pro and would like to fix this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable/025747a6-8b9d-461b-b38b-ed17c9e27801
  3. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have windows 11 pro and would like to fix this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable/025747a6-8b9d-461b-b38b-ed17c9e27801
  4. "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.": I'm currently facing an issue with my external hard drive. There's a specific folder that I can't delete, and whenever I attempt to open it, an error message pops up saying "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.". I noticed this problem after my game crashed when...
  5. File or Directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File or Directory is corrupted and unreadable: So the dog caught the cord on my surge protector and turned the computer off right as a file was being saved. now it says that the folder the file is in is not able to be read. I have run a chkdsk and had the following: Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 581 reparse...
  6. The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable.

The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable.: I added a new SSD to my Laptop and cloned my windows OS to it. It worked fine until I updated my Windows 10 to the latest. Now I'm getting these errors. I also tried reinstalling some Apps but it didn't work. Kindly helpSome options in Settings [ATTACH] As soon as I open...
  7. the file and directory is corrupted and unreadable

the file and directory is corrupted and unreadable: Hi I turned on my computer today and every program that I wanted to open, show this error << the file and directory is corrupted and unreadable >> all of my drives have this problem. please help me!...
  8. "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable": Hello, I wanted to make a folder that had additional folders in it as well as the main folder with emojis you might use in text messages in the beginning of the name. For example, if I named a folder "Info," there is an emoji on Get Emoji Symbols a ".com" website of a light...
  9. The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable: Hi I turned on my Dell G5 today and every program that I wanted to open, show this error << the file and directory is corrupted and unreadable >> Both my c and d drive have this problem. And interesting thing is that all of programs will run when I right click and...
  10. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have 4 of these errors, NTFS failed to mount the volume. Error: {Corrupt File} The file or directory %hs is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility. Volume GUID: {xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx} Volume Name: Guidance: The volume is recognized by...