Windows 10: The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

Discus and support The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hopefully that is what MS will let you off, with windows 10 free for life. Yet after windows 10 comes out with some fancy name to have the successor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jun 2, 2015.

1. ramram55 Win User

The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

Hopefully that is what MS will let you off, with windows 10 free for life. Yet after windows 10 comes out with some fancy name to have the successor and start charging for the new OS. They got to make a living out of their software. Just like Apple did in the old days to their OSX.

ramram55, Jun 3, 2015

2. But that cannot be how Windows 8 activates. I've used a singular drive and hotswapped it between machines and clean installed the same license on them...

(Never using more then one active copy at a time)

Windows Sniper, Jun 3, 2015
  3. groze Win User
    @richc46
    From my testing, you would need a clean install of windows 10 to keep dual or triple booting with windows 7 and Linux. I found out if you upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 you won't be able to use windows 7 even on another partition until newer Windows 10 build is released. A build release is just another upgrade. I used one hard drive. I had no issues with Linux. Windows 10 previews build releases do require Grub to be uninstalled or it won't upgrade.

I did not test what is in bold though.

groze, Jun 3, 2015
  4. The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

On OEM PC's with Windows 8.0 or 8.1 installed at the factory the product code is embedded in the BIOS. Windows 8.1 install media will read it and use it automatically. My MSDN ISO, which is identical to a Retail DVD, will read out my laptops OEM key for Windows 8.0 (CORE) and install Windows 8.1. It then activates online automatically the first time I connect to the internet. I do not have to enter a product code. On my desktop PC that does not have an embedded code, I have to type in my code manually during the install. It then also activates online automatically the first time I connect to the internet. All Windows 8 consumer PC's activate online. Even Corporate VL activated PC's activate via an activation server.

alphanumeric, Jun 3, 2015
  5. I don't disagree that they auth check online. I disagree about the hardware hash, you can change the hardware within a W8 machine freely, and i've had no activation issues, but does that not suggest that the hardware is not relevant?

Whilst all of that is common knowledge, how are they going to provide the unlimited activations on clean boots for devices which are NOT OEM.

Windows Sniper, Jun 3, 2015
  6. Hardware is very relevant, that's how they verify that any one product code is only used on one PC. If you are using one install on two different PC's you are violating the EULA and doing it illegally. Swap it back and forth enough and you will likely have activation issues. maybe even a blacklisted key.

Once Windows is installed the product code is stored in the Windows registry. Its encoded but its there. That's the product code checked during activation. I have Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center installed on my laptop. The code in the BIOS is for 8.0 (core). The code in the Windows registry is the Media Center code I entered via add features. The media center key is the one my laptop activates with. So it doesn't matter if its OEM or not, the code is still stored by Windows.

7. I'm wondering if they can make any money with windows 10?

michielmulders, Jun 3, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Why? OEM's still pay for Windows 10. Enterprises still pay for Windows 10. Windows 10 will cost money after 1 year. MS makes money (30%) on all app sales. MS makes money from Server and Cloud services. Why wouldn't MS make money with Windows 10?

Mystere, Jun 3, 2015
  9. Charlie Win User
    I bet we will see reports of record breaking sales of Windows 10 by Xmas.

Charlie, Jun 3, 2015
  10. Yup, people forget that when you buy a new PC with windows preinstalled the OEM paid Microsoft a fee for it. Build a new PC and want Windows, your paying for it. Own Windows XP or Vista and want to upgrade to Windows 10, your paying for it. People see the "Free Windows for the life of the device" and forget that that device isn't going to last forever. Free will only be free for the first year and then only if you qualify.

11. Just reserved mine on my desktop running 7 Ultimate x64 (retail edition), going to reinstall 8.1 Core (OEM) on my laptop so I can reserve 10 there + keep my retail 8.1 Pro Student edition. Really hoping 7 retail upgrades to 10 retail and if I change components in my PC or build a whole new PC the retail license transfers.

Maltesespace, Jun 4, 2015
  12. Burgurne Win User
    No, this is NOT the answer. Today I have a retail Windows 8.1 Pro, but if I upgrade to windows 10, the "retail" part seems to blow away, and because of that, I want to know "what is a device in Windows 10"?
    All your written data about OEM versus Retail are correct AFAIK, but that was not what I was asking about. In fact I don't have an OEM licence at all!!

I also know about phone activating, and that works fine as long as you are doing what Microsoft think is legal, and again. In my example with changed mobo because of a defect ... will Microsoft see that as the same device (remember comming from a Windows 8.1 Pro RETAIL to Windows 10 Pro)??

Burgurne, Jun 4, 2015
  13. The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

If you have a RETAIL license for Windows 8.1 and not OEM there should be no problem for you. If you have RETAIL Windows 8.1 PRO your key should upgrade to RETAIL Windows 10 PRO Key. Which I assume Microsoft would change your RETAIL KEY into a RETAIL Windows 10 PRO License Key. It would be very stupid of them to make your key OEM if it is not OEM.

With a retail key you can change the motherboard and yes the hardware ID will change, you will have to call Microsoft and tell them your motherboard is dead, please activate my key on my new computer. They will see a new hardware ID change and activate you. That should not be a problem.

From what I understand if you upgrade Windows 8.1 PRO Retail it becomes Windows 10 PRO Key. Then your computer will be upgraded. Then if you change hardware after you will probably have to call and re-activate your key, but you will have to install Windows 10 instead of 8.1 if you do the license upgrade.

heyyahblah, Jun 4, 2015
  14. Hm... I don't know, I have allways thought it would me more like this: Upgrading a RETAIL license for 8.1 for free will get Win 10 licence for the life of device. Should you change devices after the 1 year period, you would be able to install and activate 8.1 RETAIL or just directly install Win 10, but for activating Win 10 you will have to pay for the upgrade.

Olivir2014, Jun 4, 2015
  15. John035 Win User
    If I'm upgrading my Windows 8.1 Pro on my device and then decide I want to go back, will I be able to install 8.1 any time or am I stuck on Win 10? If that's the case, I will use the back up tool my windows 8.1 System. When I am not satisfied with windows 10 at least I still can come back to windows 8.1

John035, Jun 4, 2015
Thema:

1. The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs - Similar Threads - Free Support Unlimited

2. Clean Windows Installation to free space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clean Windows Installation to free space: Hellow thereI have a PC wit WIN10 Installed on a 100 GB SSD. Now it has not enough space to download the new Updateds. on closer Inspection i saw that the Folder "Installer\Dateien" is about 70GB and Using most of the SSD Space. How can i clean this installation to free some...
  3. Clean Windows Installation to free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Windows Installation to free space: Hellow thereI have a PC wit WIN10 Installed on a 100 GB SSD. Now it has not enough space to download the new Updateds. on closer Inspection i saw that the Folder "Installer\Dateien" is about 70GB and Using most of the SSD Space. How can i clean this installation to free some...
  4. Clean Windows Installation to free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. free vversion reinstall as clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    free vversion reinstall as clean install: I down loaded my free upgrade of win 10 Now i cannot load my office 16 iIam told i need a clean install of win 10 how do i reinstall the free win 19...
  6. Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10: Hi, I'd like to do a clean install of my win10. But it's a free upgrade version. I can't find a step by step guide to do it. Only guides for fresh installs of a regular win10 version. I'm afraid to do something wrong and lose the right to use this licence. Thank you...
  7. Is the sidebar link to "Clean Windows 10 Installation" a pure install free of the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is the sidebar link to "Clean Windows 10 Installation" a pure install free of the...: I'm sorry if this question seems unnecessary. I built my first PC, installed Win10 from an installer a friend got from Microsoft Developer Network, I successfully activated it with my key from my Win10 laptop, and it is full of bloatware. I ran "Fresh Start" and it's all...
  8. Windows Unlimited Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Unlimited Permissions: I have been searching for the past few months for a windows 10 user manual(note: user manual is this 1000++ page document that tells you literally everything about the product), and frankly it doesn't exist. Therefore I have to ask here; How (I know it can be done if...
  9. Will Free Windows 10 "Upgrade" work with Clean Install (CMPXCHG16b)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Free Windows 10 "Upgrade" work with Clean Install (CMPXCHG16b)?: I have a 2006-era Compaq PC with an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU (Socket 939), and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64 perfectly. It can even run Windows 8 x64. However, it cannot do the in-place Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-bit upgrades, due to this confounded...
  10. Windows 9 Will Support Unlimited Activations on Same Hardw

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Will Support Unlimited Activations on Same Hardw: In addition to the many new features and slight interface changes that Microsoft is making to Windows 9, the company is also pondering some tweaks under the hood that could improve the experience you get with the new operating system. According to new information coming...