Windows 10: The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

Discus and support The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Just reserved mine on my desktop running 7 Ultimate x64 (retail edition), going to reinstall 8.1 Core (OEM) on my laptop so I can reserve 10 there +... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jun 2, 2015.

1. The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

Just remember 8.1 Core will only get you 10 Home, not 10 Pro. 8.1 Pro will get you 10 Pro.

alphanumeric, Jun 4, 2015

2. Once you do the upgrade Windows 10 will be reactivated with a new key and that key will be used to do the clean installs.

orlbuckeye, Jun 4, 2015
  3. Won't work they specifically stated that once you upgrade the new Windows 10 key will be tied to the motherboard/processor.

orlbuckeye, Jun 4, 2015
  4. The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

Hmm. *Sad
    Can I leave my upgrade "reserved" and if I decide to not actually use it, I can keep my 7 retail?

Has it been announced how much a retail version of Windows 10 will cost? I hope they do a retail "Pro Student" version like they did 8.1. I would buy that then.

Maltesespace, Jun 4, 2015
  5. What won't work? Ones a laptop and the other is a desktop, each with a separate reservation?

6. groze Win User
    There is another thread here or on windows 7 forum that debating those issues. There is some conflicting info coming from Microsoft. If what you are saying is accurate, that means I wouldn't be able to go back to windows 7 if I didn't like windows 10. Usually, you can always go back by removing the current operating system.

groze, Jun 4, 2015
  7. If I read this correctly "reinstall 8.1 Core (OEM) on my laptop so I can reserve 10 there + keep my retail 8.1 Pro Student edition." The OS used to do the free upgrade will be 8.1 Core, then if he wants to latter he will replace 10 with the 8.1 Pro student edition that is not tied to the 10 upgrade. That should be doable.

8. labeeman Win User

The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

Or install TP and get what is installed see this post #4.

Upgrading to release version from preview? - Windows 10 Forums

labeeman, Jun 4, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    alphanumeric
    I read upgrading a student pro changes to a windows 10 pro no more student licensing.

Windows pro & Ultimate will be upgraded to windows 10 pro.

After upgrading to windows 10 and if you have the media pack installed you should be able to download the dvd app for free from Microsoft.

I read windows starter will be upgraded to windows 10 home.

groze, Jun 4, 2015
  10. Yes, I know all that, My question was "What won't work" in reply to orlbuckeye post of "that won't work". I see know what he's referring to, "Really hoping 7 retail upgrades to 10 retail and if I change components in my PC or build a whole new PC the retail license transfers." That may not be doable. My apologies, I missed that point first time around. Nothing to see here move along. *Redface

11. Wynona Win User
    Yes, there's a way to cancel the reservation. I think it's linked to your reservation. How to remove the 'Get Windows 10' app from your PC

According to Ed Bott at ZDNet.com, there will be two versions of Windows 10; Home and Pro. I've seen $109 for OEM Home, $149 for OEM Pro and $199 for a full version. There may or may not be price breaks for students. I haven't seen any yet.

Wynona, Jun 4, 2015
  12. Wynona Win User
    Let me see if I understand you correctly, Maltese.

1. You've reserved Windows 10 Upgrade on your Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Desktop.
    2. You're going to roll Windows 8.1 Pro Student back to Windows OEM 8.1 Core and keep your license to Retail Windows 8.1 Pro Student. That will work just fine.
    3. You may choose to "rebuild" your desktop in the future and want to keep your Windows 7 license. *See below

There are two pricing methods for Windows and pretty much all software: Full Version and Upgrade. Universally, when an old product is upgraded to a new product, the license to the old product is no longer valid. Basically, you give up the license to the old product by virtue of getting a "discount" on the new upgrade product. Does that make sense?

A full version is sold at full price, naturally. *Smile If, for instance, I have a computer that I've installed the retail version of Windows 7 on and I want to "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 and buy a retail full version, I can keep my license to Windows 7 (and put it on another computer if I want).

An upgrade is sold at a discount. If, for instance, I have a computer that I've installed the retail version of Windows 7 on and I want to "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 and buy an Upgrade version, I give up my license to Windows 7. The only way to get that license back is to roll back to Windows 7.

*No, it won't. Not unless you give up all rights to Windows 10 by rolling back to Windows 7. You have to admit that by "purchasing" the upgrade of Windows 10, we all get a pretty deep discount as it is. *Smile

Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

1. The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs - Similar Threads - Free Support Unlimited

2. Clean Windows Installation to free space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clean Windows Installation to free space: Hellow thereI have a PC wit WIN10 Installed on a 100 GB SSD. Now it has not enough space to download the new Updateds. on closer Inspection i saw that the Folder "Installer\Dateien" is about 70GB and Using most of the SSD Space. How can i clean this installation to free some...
  3. Clean Windows Installation to free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Windows Installation to free space: Hellow thereI have a PC wit WIN10 Installed on a 100 GB SSD. Now it has not enough space to download the new Updateds. on closer Inspection i saw that the Folder "Installer\Dateien" is about 70GB and Using most of the SSD Space. How can i clean this installation to free some...
  4. Clean Windows Installation to free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. free vversion reinstall as clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    free vversion reinstall as clean install: I down loaded my free upgrade of win 10 Now i cannot load my office 16 iIam told i need a clean install of win 10 how do i reinstall the free win 19...
  6. Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10: Hi, I'd like to do a clean install of my win10. But it's a free upgrade version. I can't find a step by step guide to do it. Only guides for fresh installs of a regular win10 version. I'm afraid to do something wrong and lose the right to use this licence. Thank you...
  7. Is the sidebar link to "Clean Windows 10 Installation" a pure install free of the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is the sidebar link to "Clean Windows 10 Installation" a pure install free of the...: I'm sorry if this question seems unnecessary. I built my first PC, installed Win10 from an installer a friend got from Microsoft Developer Network, I successfully activated it with my key from my Win10 laptop, and it is full of bloatware. I ran "Fresh Start" and it's all...
  8. Windows Unlimited Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Unlimited Permissions: I have been searching for the past few months for a windows 10 user manual(note: user manual is this 1000++ page document that tells you literally everything about the product), and frankly it doesn't exist. Therefore I have to ask here; How (I know it can be done if...
  9. Will Free Windows 10 "Upgrade" work with Clean Install (CMPXCHG16b)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Free Windows 10 "Upgrade" work with Clean Install (CMPXCHG16b)?: I have a 2006-era Compaq PC with an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU (Socket 939), and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64 perfectly. It can even run Windows 8 x64. However, it cannot do the in-place Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-bit upgrades, due to this confounded...
  10. Windows 9 Will Support Unlimited Activations on Same Hardw

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Will Support Unlimited Activations on Same Hardw: In addition to the many new features and slight interface changes that Microsoft is making to Windows 9, the company is also pondering some tweaks under the hood that could improve the experience you get with the new operating system. According to new information coming...