Windows 10: 'The handle is invalid" when using Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"C:\fabrikam.wim"...

Discus and support 'The handle is invalid" when using Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"C:\fabrikam.wim"... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; error: 6. And C: is the drive letter that I want to capture image. I am using Windows 10 1709 & Windows PE 1709(version: 10.0.16299.15) as well. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dennis.Chang, Nov 12, 2018.

1. 'The handle is invalid" when using Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"C:\fabrikam.wim"...

error: 6.

And C: is the drive letter that I want to capture image.

I am using Windows 10 1709 & Windows PE 1709(version: 10.0.16299.15) as well.

I have tried another version of Windows PE 1803, but the error is the same.

The log just told me a file or directory may be missing, without telling me where/what exactly was wrong.

How should I do? Thanks in advance!

:)

Dennis.Chang, Nov 12, 2018

2. WHAT'S THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN "Capture-CustomImage" and "Capture-Image" WHILE CAPTURING IMAGE USING DISM

Hi.

/Capture-CustomImage only captures the customization files. It can’t be used to capture installation files into a new WIM.

/Capture-Image

Captures an image of a drive to a new .wim file. Captured directories include all subfolders and data. You cannot capture an empty directory. A directory must contain at least one file.

Info for customimage here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

Info for Image here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

Zackary Vanosdol, Nov 12, 2018
  3. lievore Win User
    Using Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition

Hi guys, so a few days ago my windows 10 crashed so I had to format and reinstall windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10, a hard work to do. So I started to search about how to capture the image of C: where the windows 10 is running and I found Dism. Now I have a lot of questions about it, let me start with the capture of C: as an image.wim.

1- Does dism Capture-Image works for windows 10?

I used the following comand to capture a image:
    Code:
    Code:
    dism.exe /Capture-Image /ImageFile:D:\Image_of_Windows_10.wim /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:Windows_10 /compress fast
    It generated a .WIM file with 16 Gb.

2- Is FAST option better than MAXIMUM? Or should I use NONE instead?

3- Now with the image of the c: stored in hard drive, if my windows 10 crashes, is this how I should recover it? applying the image file .WIM or should I format the partition first?

Code:
    Code:
    dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:D:\Image_of_Windows_10.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\
    4- After using DISM to apply will windows 10 boot and work like a charm?

5- Do I have to configure the boot with BCDBOOT?

Code:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\bcdboot C:\Windows
    That's all folks, please someone could be kind and answer me?

lievore, Nov 12, 2018
  4. RejZoR Win User

'The handle is invalid" when using Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"C:\fabrikam.wim"...

How to get damn DISM to work?

Thx guys, I'll compress this data into a blog post. For all the so called guides I've read, not a single one mentioned it has to be WIM file (some listed even ESD which clearly doesn't work) or that certain ISO images don't work with DISM.

After I've done DISM thingie, SFC also managed to repair stuff. Which is what I've needed here.

RejZoR, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

'The handle is invalid" when using Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"C:\fabrikam.wim"...

1. 'The handle is invalid" when using Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"C:\fabrikam.wim"... - Similar Threads - 'The handle invalid

2. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data WIM using DISM: Dear Support Team,Can anyone guide me how to add Data Wim in Answer file using Windows System Image Manager Windows 10 with real life example. I was able to create Data Wim using DISM but got stuck at further steps....
  3. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data WIM using DISM: Dear Support Team,Can anyone guide me how to add Data Wim in Answer file using Windows System Image Manager Windows 10 with real life example. I was able to create Data Wim using DISM but got stuck at further steps....
  4. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid: Hi,I try to capture a Windows 10 Installation with dismdism /caputre-image /imagefile:\\myDestination\myW10.wim /CaputreDir: D:\ name:myW10 /compress:maxThe version of the windows PE I bootet into seems to be 10.0.18362The capture don't really start. The DISM Log says...
  6. DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid: Hi,I try to capture a Windows 10 Installation with dismdism /caputre-image /imagefile:\\myDestination\myW10.wim /CaputreDir: D:\ name:myW10 /compress:maxThe version of the windows PE I bootet into seems to be 10.0.18362The capture don't really start. The DISM Log says...
  7. DISM Capture Windows 10.19041 - Environment Invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. TAKE BACKUP OF C:\USERS FOLDERS BY USING DISM CAPTURE IMAGE -IT WILL BE USEFUL AFTER...

TAKE BACKUP OF C:\USERS FOLDERS BY USING DISM CAPTURE IMAGE -IT WILL BE USEFUL AFTER...: hello windows users , today i am going to show taking backup of C:\users\ directory for future reference in form of .wim image , it will be usefull when if you reinstalled windows or did clean installation after gets some problems I use DISM.exe built in tool to capture...
  9. Question about capturing a Windows 10 image using DISM

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about capturing a Windows 10 image using DISM: Hi, I have the following task to complete; I would like to capture an image from a machine running Windows 10 enterprise using WinPE and DISM and then using Windows Server 2012 R2, PXE boot the captured image onto 10 other machines on the network. I would not like to use...
  10. DISM captures a 17GB wim file. Yet it's only 3.7GB when mounted!???

DISM captures a 17GB wim file. Yet it's only 3.7GB when mounted!???: ​I volunteer at a local community center. It has an Open Computer Lab for the public. It has An HP Server (Server 2012 R2). It’s a domain controller supporting Folder Redirection and Roaming Profiles 20 PCs (Windows 10 Pro v1511) but being upgrade to v1607. No hurry to get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism the handle is invalid

2. dism handle is invalid

3. dism error 6 handle is invalid

4. the handle is invalid dism,
  5. dism error 6 the handle is invalid,
  6. when night light,
  7. dism capture image the handle is invalid,
  8. dism capture image index.btr handle is invalid,
  9. DISM error The handle is invalid.,
  10. Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:D:\Images\Fabrikam.wim /CaptureDir:C,
  11. dism.error handle.is invalid,