Windows 10: The issue with feature updates

Discus and support The issue with feature updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey everyone, first of all, this is gonna be a bit of a rant, so if you don't care about the opinion of a random guy on the internet, feel free to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TrueKuehli, Oct 12, 2018.

1. The issue with feature updates

Hey everyone,

first of all, this is gonna be a bit of a rant, so if you don't care about the opinion of a random guy on the internet, feel free to leave at any point. Also, I might not be fully up to date, since I'm using a Windows Version from a year ago; the reason for which I will explain later, but the point I'm trying to make still applies.

So let's start with the tl;dr: I wish Microsoft wouldn't just force features upon their users without a way to toggle them off, if the user desires. This is quite frankly something Microsoft could learn from Linux, if there's something the user doesn't like, then there's most likely a way to change it.

A bit of a concrete example: About a year ago, Microsoft pushed update 1709 for Windows 10. This introduced the feature of mouse sensitivity adapting to the display scaling of the screen. For most use-cases that might be a perfectly valid change, and if you don't like it, just set your mouse sensitivity lower in the settings, right? Except, that this only works for simple setups. A single monitor, or maybe multiple, that are all set to the same scaling. Which is exactly what my setup ISN'T. Just for reference, I have a 4k monitor with 150% scaling as my main, and 2 older 1080p monitors with 100% scaling; which due to their size differences roughly results in the same mouse speed on all three monitors WITHOUT the mouse sensitivity scaling. With it turned on, my mouse either goes supersonic on my 4k screen or slow as a snail on my 1080p monitors (depending on the mouse sensitivity set in the mouse settings).

And yeah, sure there's "workarounds" for that problem, but none without drawbacks. Would it be that difficult to just have a little checkbox for turning that feature on and off? Or heck, even a registry key would work for me! But to my knowledge even a year later, there's no way to turn it off.

And yes. I am absolutely aware, that any regular user just doesn't care. Most people don't even notice any changes after an update, and my specific issue is one that only occurs with very specific setups. But it's something that's been bothering me for a while now, and I just had to get it off my chest.

:)

TrueKuehli, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Oct 12, 2018
  3. btarunr Win User
    Intel E5200 Gets Updated, R0 Stepping Coming Up

Intel's Pentium Dual-Core E5200 processor is getting on course for a specifications update. The chip will feature in a new, improved Wolfdale-2M core, spec'd out as the R0 stepping, from its current M0 stepping. The new stepping is intended to add new instructions, power-management features, and bring about changes in the chip-package. A short list of known changes is as follows:
    • CPUID changed from 10677 to 1067A
    • Power State Indicator (PSI) support with Intel 4 series chipsets
    • New instructions - XSAVE and XRSTOR
    • New S-spec and MM numbers
    • New halide-free chip package
    Due to the changed CPUID, users may require BIOS updates to detect the CPU. According to the company, E5200 R0 should be out by April 13.

Source: TechConnect Magazine

btarunr, Oct 12, 2018
  4. malware Win User

The issue with feature updates

Intel Updates Core 2 Quad Q9550 to E-0 Stepping

We continue our Monday news list with another Intel story that brings to our attention information concerning the company and more specificly its 2.83GHz Core 2 Quad Q9550 chips that will move from the current C-1 to the newer E-0 stepping. The updated chips will start selling on August 22nd, featuring the following changes:
    • New SSpec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • CPUID will change from 0x10677 to 0x1067A
    • Package change to Halide free package
    Apart from that, the new stepping CPUs will not include any other changes. Of course, like most new stepping parts a BIOS update will be needed.

Product Change Notification 108663 - 00

Source: TechConnect Magazine

malware, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

The issue with feature updates

1. The issue with feature updates - Similar Threads - issue feature updates

2. Windows 10 Feature Update 20H2 issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Feature Update 20H2 issue: I have tried several times to install the windows 10 feature 20H2 update currently version 1909. Every time it appears to install successfully. After restarting the computer, the log in screen appears and I enter my password. My desktop opens and windows boots. The problem is...
  3. Windows 10 Feature Update Issues

Windows 10 Feature Update Issues: Since my site has upgraded all 75 computers to version 1909 I have had poor success moving up a level. At someone's advice I tried upgrading from the media using a USB key. No luck. The error message: The installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an error during the...
  4. Issues when updating to Feature Update 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues when updating to Feature Update 2004: Hey guys! So, I own a Toshiba C55-B5356 with integrated Intel HD 4400 Graphics. The issue is that when I updated to the feature update, it gave me the newest drivers, which absolutely destroyed any gaming performance and gave me common graphical glitches and issues. I...
  5. Post Feature update 2004 - Office issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Post Feature update 2004 - Office issue: Feature update 2004 + KB4565627 +KB 4561600 installed overnight. now MS Office 2016 professional plus cannot verify licence. Have repaired office twice but that has not made any difference: says trial expires in 3 days. Tried activating with key but says there is an error...
  6. feature update issue on window 10

feature update issue on window 10: it stucks at 99% see below [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/feature-update-issue-on-window-10/5e6daf49-0a4d-47ab-ac79-99a1507b3b07
  7. Windows 10 Feature Update 1903 Issue

Windows 10 Feature Update 1903 Issue: I just recently updated to the latest feature update 1903 for Windows 10. After the upgrade, the Fitbit app and Microsoft Ultimate Word Games both crash upon launch. Both were previously installed from the Microsoft Store. Here is the Event Viewer error log for Microsoft...
  8. Window update and issues regarding optimal features.

Window update and issues regarding optimal features.: Hi, Can someone tells me on how to force stop a window update in progress? Besides, I have also faced a problem regarding the optimal features where all the downloading features neither can be cancelled and they have stop proceeding as shown below. Thank in advance....
  9. Issues with features update 1809

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with features update 1809: After update to features version 1909, Edge can malfunction immediately on some devices. I also noticed issues with PLAY store and there may be others I have failed to notice. The error occurs on opening Edge with a screen that says OPPS something went wrong with an error...
  10. Windows 10 Feature Update (1803) Issue

Windows 10 Feature Update (1803) Issue: Hello, My office used about 800 Windows 10 professional Version OEM licenses for Dell Brand PC & Laptops. We are facing trouble a lot after getting Windows Feature Update(1803) automatically from internet. 1803 upgraded pc's doesn't run mozilla firefox and some time chrome...